Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's really a chicken and egg thing...

What is more important, the incisive through ball to create a goal or the six foot sitter that scores it? Not every goal is created by a good pass or rebound from a goal attempt - but when it does happen, these assists should count EQUAL TO GOALS to determine the scoring champion of leagues and cups.

It would certainly eliminate some of the perceived selfishness present with top scorers (ahem, cr) and is a statistic that should be considered when evaluating a players year and more importantly, career.

They already have panels to determine goal validity...it's a no brainer! :cool:

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,665 Posts
I'm a big fan of American Football and they love their stats in the states. It's a totally different game of course but they're just as interested in stats for tackles as they are for touchdowns. They have stats for just about everything over there and like to analyse them in great detail.

Football is the 'beautiful game' and a players contribution can not always just be measured by passes completed, tackles made, goals scored etc but I agree that assists are an important part of the game and these stats should be more widely publicised.

·
23,699 Posts
moondog said:
Sorry, probably should have put this in Football Banter....
Don't worry about it, mate. The vigilant staff will sort it out in no time..... :rolleyes: ;)

Ingenious idea indeed. Perhaps we can have Silver Boots, along with the usual Golden Boots, of course.:D

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
moondog said:
It's really a chicken and egg thing...

What is more important, the incisive through ball to create a goal or the six foot sitter that scores it? Not every goal is created by a good pass or rebound from a goal attempt - but when it does happen, these assists should count EQUAL TO GOALS to determine the scoring champion of leagues and cups.

It would certainly eliminate some of the perceived selfishness present with top scorers (ahem, cr) and is a statistic that should be considered when evaluating a players year and more importantly, career.

They already have panels to determine goal validity...it's a no brainer! :cool:
The goal is the important thing, the bag o' wind crossing the line, how its gets there is totally immaterial.

·
23,699 Posts
Red Devil said:
The goal is the important thing, the bag o' wind crossing the line, how its gets there is totally immaterial.
I have to beg to differ however. Most of the times, the hard work and ingenuity of putting the ball to the feet of the scorer or like somebody here said, putting the balls to the head, often go unnoticed or not appreciated. Not to take away anything from the scorer, however, perhaps the least we can do is to recognise the Top Assist. Silver Boots, anyone?;)

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Assists are important no doubt. I've always wondered why does players on top of the assists charts gain considerably less recognition compared to players on the summit of the top goal-scorer charts. Without an assist, a goal will never be borned, thus to me, it's equally vital as a goal. If without players like Wayne Rooney & Luis Nani, where does Cristiano Ronaldo's received quality supply for putting the ball into the back of the net? ;)

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
Never said they were not important, of course they are, but unless the ball crosses the line (or in carroll's case - does not!) then any ingenuity or skill to produce said goal is wasted.

moved ................

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
both producer and finisher deserve the credit, just that the producer does not get as much recognition as the finisher. but as long as the coaches know, the goalscorers know, the goal producers themselves know, that would be enough

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,665 Posts
The goal scorer will always take the plaudits whether it's a 30yd screamer or a 1yd tap in but I'd like to see the assist charts for the last few seasons if anyone has a link...

·
Registered
590 Posts
Justice said:
Dont be so silly.

There is already a title for most assists in a season but no one cares about it.
I think that just about sums it up, most people don't care how the goal goes in, as long as it does. The assist important but in my opinion, not as important as actually putting the ball in the goal.

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
Red Devil said:
What about the beautiful game or the Brazilian team of 82 :eek:

For me, I would much rather watch Arsenal playing at their best than Chelsea or Liverpool sitting on a one goal lead and playing the ball across the back four.

Also, I must concede, United are turning into Liverpool and Chelsea in Europe, sacrificing playing beautiful football for holding out and passing the ball magnificently across the back four!!!!

Anyway, I suppose as long as you win RD, who cares how you play. Is that your view, even when you know a team like United can play so much better, as good as the best. :rolleyes:

·
He wipes front to back
27,655 Posts
Red Devil said:
if that were true you would be a chelsea fan

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
Keano4taoiseach said:
What about the beautiful game or the Brazilian team of 82 :eek:

For me, I would much rather watch Arsenal playing at their best than Chelsea or Liverpool sitting on a one goal lead and playing the ball across the back four.

Also, I must concede, United are turning into Liverpool and Chelsea in Europe, sacrificing playing beautiful football for holding out and passing the ball magnificently across the back four!!!!

Anyway, I suppose as long as you win RD, who cares how you play. Is that your view, even when you know a team like United can play so much better, as good as the best. :rolleyes:
ah but ah!! Oi didn't say that did oi? Oi said that as long as its a goal who cares how we got it - big difference. And you would rather watch arsenal!!!! Wash your mouth out!

·
Registered
488 Posts
yangch0000 said:
both producer and finisher deserve the credit, just that the producer does not get as much recognition as the finisher. but as long as the coaches know, the goalscorers know, the goal producers themselves know, that would be enough
Agree to that... A player seldom scores on own effort, it's a team game... Credit should be given to both scorers and assist. So both are inportant important... Although the scorer name is always on the score sheet... The assist should be given credit as well like () beside the scorer name.

If that make you feel better :)

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Yeah of corse the assit is important...its a team game so we all knew that...Nani has to most assits till date and that is why I think he has a great 1st season and I always get surprised when some fans say nah they expected more from him and was dissapointing..

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Firstly I believe that its fair the top goalscorer gets rewarded
with the golden boot. Its always been that way as its all about putting
it in the back of the net.
but I like to count goals and assists in judging a player in a season,
though sometimes stats dont give the full picture.
Ronaldo has all the goals but just 4 assists(mainly because he scores them all)
Rooney always strikes a good balance, contributing in both areas each season.
Nani has the most assists but his final ball is shocking some days :confused:

Goals

Ronaldo 34
Tevez 15
Rooney 13
Nani 4

Assists

Nani 13
Rooney 12
Giggs 9
Tevez 7
Brown 4