21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
23,699 Posts
Jazz 16 said:
Firstly I believe that its fair the top goalscorer gets rewarded
with the golden boot. Its always been that way as its all about putting
it in the back of the net.
but I like to count goals and assists in judging a player in a season,
though sometimes stats dont give the full picture.
Ronaldo has all the goals but just 4 assists(mainly because he scores them all)
Rooney always strikes a good balance, contributing in both areas each season.
Nani has the most assists but his final ball is shocking some days :confused:
Perhaps there should be a certain formula by weightage to ascertain the value of a player. Probably more weight to the goals but at least some lesser weight to assists. May not give the full picture but at least closer to the true picture.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
it is absolutely true....assists are as important as scoring...without creating the opportunities,how are we supposed to score???? rooney has been criticised for his lack of goals(I criticised too)..but assists count too......it is very important in every game

·
23,699 Posts
akash_reds said:
it is absolutely true....assists are as important as scoring...without creating the opportunities,how are we supposed to score???? rooney has been criticised for his lack of goals(I criticised too)..but assists count too......it is very important in every game
Exactly, you took the words out of mouth. ;)

Why are we still counting Rooney as one of our vital players if not for his assists or other contributions on the field?

·
Banned
4,946 Posts
Justice said:
Dont be so silly.

There is already a title for most assists in a season but no one cares about it.
Exactly !!

The goal scorer always returns the hero ...

And the player providing the assist is soon forgotten ...

This shows no one is really too bothered about assists ...

I like to see goal/assist lists like Jazz 16 makes for us ...

It soon tells me that Rooney with 13/12 is a good team player ...

Not the highest scoring striker of course ...

But to be involved in the creation of 25 goals in a season is great !

But sadly the 'scorers' will always be the heros !

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
red_devils4life said:
Alrite there ue go rd, here's the link to the assists chart in the Premiership 07/08 ;)

http://www.4thegame.com/statistics/premiership/assists/
Thanks for that rd4l.

It makes interesting reading.

Rooney is right up there in =3rd this season (with Berbatov) and Tevez is the only other United player in the top 20, which shows how creative our front 2 are.

Unfortunately, it also dispels the myth that all Lampard does is shoot because he's also in the top 20 (unless they were all deflected shots that ended up in the path of a teammate :D )

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Its weird how Ronny gets so little assists from the wing! But his goals are everything to us, as a winger i believe that assists are important and more goals come from the nice pass or cross rather than an individual effort running past all the time and striking one from 30.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
From what I've heard, Becks got a total of 24 assists in 1998/99...the season where United won the Historic Treble. 17 in the league, 3 in the FA Cup & 4 in the Uefa Champions League. Kudos to 'Golden Balls'!! :D :p

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Nemanjaaa said:
Its weird how Ronny gets so little assists from the wing! But his goals are everything to us, as a winger i believe that assists are important and more goals come from the nice pass or cross rather than an individual effort running past all the time and striking one from 30.
Its funny that Ronaldo has hardly any assists but how can he?
he is scoring them all so someone else has to be setting them up.
Dont think its fair we criticise the lad too much for this, though he is
a bit greedy at times.

Going back to assists you can get some easy ones (5yard simple pass)
or you can get a monster 50 yard spinning ball a la Carrick or Scholes,
so as important assists are, sometimes its the only and simple option.....

21 - 28 of 28 Posts