Im not fat... im sex.
8,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it dosnt work

well it hasnt in the prem so far lets look at a few examples

that hutchings bloke who managed wigan last season = fail

sammie lee who ended up managed bolton = fail

tony adams pompy just lost 1-4 at home to struggleing west ham = fail

i dont know if its just be but it seems to be some trend that assistant mangers just cant manage the club even though they may know it inside out

anyone care to prove me wrong?:cool:

Z

·
0 Posts
Stuart Pearce did relatively well when he first took over at Citeh, but it all went downhill pretty rapidly. I think they try and emulate what the previous manager was doing and don't try and stamp their own mark on the team and that's where they go wrong.

It's better to bring in someone who is new to the club and can look at the squad with a fresh set of eyes.

·
Im not fat... im sex.
8,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
-zuco- said:
Stuart Pearce did relatively well when he first took over at Citeh, but it all went downhill pretty rapidly. I think they try and emulate what the previous manager was doing and don't try and stamp their own mark on the team and that's where they go wrong.

It's better to bring in someone who is new to the club and can look at the squad with a fresh set of eyes.

yeah i think pearce is a fair shout he did do ok for a while

and again with the stamping of there mark also:p

·
Banned
2,730 Posts
I dont think Steve Mclarn was given enough credit for what he did at middlesborough . He won them there first ever trophy in the league cup and also made the uefa cup final .

As for stuart pearce yes he did well for half a season and he was rightfully given his chance . But he was not backed by the board was given little cash to improve the team . And was only given money in january of his last season when he brought samaras in which turned into a disater .

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Jose Mourinho was an assistant manager at Benfica before becoming the main man.

I'm sure you'll say it was in the Portuguese league and you're referring to the prem, but lots of managers have cut their teeth as assistant managers first.

David Moyes was assistant manager at Preston, before moving up.
Rafa was assistant manager at Real Madrid B.

Steve McClaren did OK at Boro, before the England fiasco.

Phil Brown was an assistant to Sam Allardyce.

·
Im not fat... im sex.
8,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
RedForceRising said:

I'm sure you'll say it was in the Portuguese league and you're referring to the prem, but lots of managers have cut their teeth as assistant managers first.

very true and valid points and ill agree they have all done well mourinho even better

but they all moved clubs and did well

i was pointing out when a team move there assistant up to manager it seems to fail :cool:

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
RedForceRising said:

Ya good point there. Mourinho was also a coach at barce wasn't he?

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
Well, theres not many example of it working that I can think of.

I think zuco hit the nail on the head when he said;

-zuco- said:
I think they try and emulate what the previous manager was doing and don't try and stamp their own mark on the team and that's where they go wrong.

Although, most of the examples I would say is not because they've moved up, but perhaps because they're not good enough to be managers themselves?

·
Banned
2,730 Posts
yes not all coaches can make it as managers but some do !

Plus if all coaches cant be managers

Its a fact not all managers can coach

Sven , mourinho , Boothroyd

all of these have coachs do the coaching they just pick the team .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts