Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have now beat Liverpool and are confident we have a good road to the title. We all know we have got 2 big games at least. Chelsea away and Arsenal at Old Trafford.

But to me i don't think them 2 games is all we need to worry about. i know how easy it is think "Aston Villa? easy 3 points" but remember Derby.

I see it all the time recently. "bottom side team? play a simple team, sit back and relax" in the end, they bite us where it hurts and we end up fighting to secure a win.

Look at the 3 teams that have beat us this season. West Ham, Man City And Bolton ! And its based on that performance i can't sit back and relax and think "we just need to focus on the big games" every game counts from now. we CANNOT slip up to ANY team.

For now i am not worrying about the big 2 games. its more on the shadowy teams that will hit you when you least expect it.

·
23,699 Posts
Hansen on the title race

Well, no reply so far so thought might as well insert this interesting article by none other than the You-can't-win-it-with-kids Hansen.;)

Source: BBC Sport

It is now difficult to go against Manchester United winning another Premier League title.

They lead Chelsea by five points, but with their massive goal difference, that effectively means six points.

They have been over this course and distance before, have tremendous strength in depth and can grind out results like no other team.

All the big players were on view in the Manchester United v Liverpool game - Steven Gerrard, Fernando Torres, Wayne Rooney and Cristiano Ronaldo - but the only one who really performed of that quartet was Rooney, who was magnificent.

Wes Brown, Cristiano Ronaldo and Nani lead the celebrations

Of the top four teams, you can argue all day long about the quality going forward but the best defence by a mile is United's. Rio Ferdinand was unbelievable against Torres, who has been getting so many plaudits, and never gave him a kick.

Ronaldo didn't play well but got a goal and contributed. The great players are the ones who will keep going and give you something extra and you say that every week about Rooney and Ronaldo - what a great pairing they are.

Manchester United have got so many match-winners that if they've got two or three missing they have got great strength in depth and there will be someone else like Paul Scholes, Ryan Giggs, Michael Carrick or Anderson who will play really well.

However, if one team are to beat United to the title I believe it will be Chelsea. United still have to play them at Stamford Bridge on 26 April.

The game between Chelsea and Arsenal was a fascinating one and it was a match both teams really needed to win.

Arsenal were the better team for a long period but then they just fell apart under pressure and they are in freefall at the moment.

It was such a big game for Chelsea manager Avram Grant. When he has made substitutions before, people have criticised his judgement.

Didier Drogba caused all sorts of problems for the Arsenal defence

When he put the subs on against Arsenal, everyone thought it was the logical thing to do and it has come off for him and he takes credit for getting it right, but he needed to get it right.

Didier Drogba was also a big difference between the sides and is hard to handle. When the ball is played up to him, it is hard to defend against him and often something comes from it.

Arsenal are still the best team to watch when it comes to pass and move but you don't win the championship when you are playing well, you win it when you are not playing well and can grind out results.

They just can't do that as well as Manchester United can.

However, Sir Alex Ferguson won't be thinking United will win every match until the end of the season as there is still plenty of Premier League and Champions League action to go. He will be looking to consolidate his position.

·
Banned
198 Posts
Great comments by Alan Hansen. I don't mind his commentator skills actually, much more fair and less biased than that punk of a liverpool biased bigot Mark Lawrenson.

Rooney was immense yesterday. Him and Scholes were tearing Liverpool apart with their 1 touch passing. Mascherano had a chance to shackle Scholes but got booked for his exploits instead. Judging by the tackle i'm glad he was sent off.

That tackle he did on Scholes could have easilly hurt Scholes for more than those few moments; i'm sure the sliding tackle 'that other argentine' did on Beckham (Deportivo La Coruna chap; what's his name again?) was very similar to that Mascherano on Scholes. The last thing Man Utd or Liverpool football associates would have wanted ia Scholes injured for 4months with a metatarsal injury. So maybe it was for the best he got sent off? The heat and intensity of the game seemed to be getting to him.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
pass_me_a_rizla said:
Great comments by Alan Hansen. I don't mind his commentator skills actually, much more fair and less biased than that punk of a liverpool biased bigot Mark Lawrenson.

Rooney was immense yesterday. Him and Scholes were tearing Liverpool apart with their 1 touch passing. Mascherano had a chance to shackle Scholes but got booked for his exploits instead. Judging by the tackle i'm glad he was sent off.

That tackle he did on Scholes could have easilly hurt Scholes for more than those few moments; i'm sure the sliding tackle 'that other argentine' did on Beckham (Deportivo La Coruna chap; what's his name again?) was very similar to that Mascherano on Scholes. The last thing Man Utd or Liverpool football associates would have wanted ia Scholes injured for 4months with a metatarsal injury. So maybe it was for the best he got sent off? The heat and intensity of the game seemed to be getting to him.
Aldo Duscher

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
yep ,i agree.Its teams like Bolton,West Ham and Aston Villa that can really hurt you in a title race.We cant afford to take our foot off the pedal this moment in time.One slip-up and we will regret it as a title that was thrown away

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Beating the smaller teams is what makes you win the EPL not the big teams imo. We lost vs Arsenal twice last season and who won the EPL? Arsenal or us? WE DID!!

·
Registered
488 Posts
that's why I say take it slow, and as of the form we are in, just by maintaining the winning formula is not that difficult... We should be able to cruise unless any Cl ties that cause trouble. SAF has to plan everything right to win...

·
Registered
126 Posts
I ALWAYS seem to think aston villa are a threat but we end up beating them 4-0 or something lol, the away games vs the smaller clubs will be tricky

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
correct...the smaller teams are always the one who ruins tea,s chances...look at b'ham and boro...they ruined arsenal's chances of winning the title....we have losses too....we cant afford to lose against the smaller teams...

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
boro is a bogey team, they got some quality players who can perform against big teams, especially when they are at home. this is the match i am worried about

·
Banned
251 Posts
I think United will go on thier usual end of season run and win all the games,maybe a draw at Chelsea...thats what I hope will happen.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
i agree
we take the smaller teams lightly
esp hammers and boro those matches will be decided wetehr or not we will be champions

1 - 12 of 12 Posts