Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Old trafford atmosphere.....

like many here i dont get 2 go very often so i was just wondering about the atmosphere.

everytime i go it seems there is a really good atmosphere although quiet at times.

sometimes when i watch games on the tv i think there isn't a good atmosphere.....

so..... is it consistantly good at ot??
has it got better or worse in the last year??

what other ground have decent support??

opinions people!!!

·
Banned
51 Posts
You've got to remember that the sound on the TV is dictated by whoever's doing the mix for the broadcast.

My Mrs is an Everton fan and she was at the Carling Cup semi final last month at Goodison while I watched it on the TV. All I could hear was the chelsea fans, it sounded like there were tens of thousands of them (even though they failed to sell out their 4000 allocation) singing at the top of their lungs, with no home support to be heard.

I asked my wife about the atmosphere when she got back, wondering why the home fans had been so quiet and she told me it was as good as it had been for years and that they couldn't hear a sound from Chelsea's end.

All it takes is for the sound tech to be biased to or against one team and what you hear on the TV can become totally unrepresentitive of what it's actually like at the ground.

That's not to say that the atmosphere couldn't be improved at United. I think it would be easily done, too. The away support is often made up of the more hard-core supporters and as they are concentrated in one small area of the ground they can make a great deal of co-ordinated noise. Our away support is second to none for making a racket, but at home the vocal hardcore fans are distributed all over OT. If they concentrated the vocal fans all in one area (ie the Stretford End) instead of splitting it up with execs and family seating, it would be much better.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
ya as red dwarf said it can be hit and miss, it all depends on the game and how its goin etc. if ya want a great atmosphere (you may kno this already) go to the bishops blaze pub around the corner from OT, some buzz in there before games!!

iv been at 2 matches where the atmosphere was incredible, these being the derby a few weeks ago altho we lost it was a wicked atmosphere, the other was against milan last year the (1st leg ) which is an atmosphere im never likely to see again!!!!

it sounded brilliant against arsenal the other day wish id been there!!!

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
I'm not a season ticket holder but I've been to OT when the place is rocking and when the atmosphere is flat. I've also sat in all 4 stands.

When OT is rocking it's the best place on Earth to be and when it's flat it can be embarrassing to hear the opposition fans sing about how quiet it is (although tbf they seem to do that anyway!)

The South stand is usually dead although the view is terrific and you're close to the dug outs.

I like sitting in the North stand because you get a good view of the pitch and if OT is buzzing there's usually chants on and off throughout the game - although if it's quiet then it's REALLY quiet. I remember one game last season when the guy sat in front of me was singing 'Gary Neville's gonna score' almost the entire game!

The scoreboard end has been mixed for me - sometimes the atmosphere is really good and other times it's been a bit flat.

The Stretford End is...well it's the Stretford End isn't it! That's where you can almost guarantee chanting throughout the game.

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
eoininho said:
the other was against milan last year the (1st leg ) which is an atmosphere im never likely to see again!!!!
I was at that game. Incredible wasn't it?!

I was sat in the NE quadrant and I remember the scoreboard end starting a chant of 'Stand up if you love...' and just as I stood up Kaka equalised so I sat back down again! :(

Even though we were 2-1 down at half-time the roar of UNITED! as they trooped off to the dressing room must have inspired them. I know it made me feel we still had a chance!

The chant of ROONEY! ROONEY ROONEY! at the end of the game was deafening.

Brilliant night...just a shame about the return leg.

·
Banned
9,511 Posts
Arsenal was buzzing.

It's been generally crap this year. South and North stand really need to start singing. They should move the family stand to the north stand or something - JUST OUT OF THE STRETFORD END. Get all the singers in the Stretty.

THe microphones at Old Trafford aren't by the Stretty. MOTWYW.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Having been to Old Trafford for a cup game and sitting in a high tier, I was told occasionally not to stand up by the stewards, do you feel this rule sometimes limits the atmosphere around old traffic?

If yes, what would you do to change it?

If no, how do you as regular visitors to Old Trafford create an atmosphere with such restrictions??

Thanks

Marie

·
Registered
6,607 Posts
Sit/Stand/Sit - its a damned nuisance. I used to stand on the Stretford End - the atmosphere was electric - every game. now there are times when, if somebody dropped a pin, a few hundred would go Ssssshhh!

The standing area in the Stretford End was only half of the end, the remainder was seats - there was sufficient safety precautions even back then, no reason why we cannot have standing again.

·
Registered
78 Posts
The problem Old Trafford is the acoustics. I sit next to K Stand (East Stand) and we hardly ever hear the Stretford End singing although you can see the place bouncing most weeks no noise comes back round and vice versa. Also south stand doesnt help with its general no noise at all times rule.

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
I've been told to sit down at OT but only once and that was when I was sat in the South Stand. I understand that people have paid for their seat and want to see the game but it was just after we'd had a chance to score and I was only still standing because we still had the ball in their half. :rolleyes:

You can not generate as much noise when you are sitting down but considering I've usually had a few drinks before the game it doesn't matter if I'm sat or standing! ;)

·
Registered
303 Posts
Stret end is the place to sit always a good Attmosphere there every where else is hit an miss, they need to try and get all the singing fans together somehow. moving family stand would be a good start was in there for city game all i could here was some young girl shouting "come on Utd" (least she tried) and some old women moaning at me to sit down and shut up.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I think the reason its bad is because we are all nervious untill we score. When we score it gets a lot better. Or is that just me. lol.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
does FAM208 (family stand) any good???
i just got tickets for me n my gf bro for the lyon game.

obviously its called family stand for a reason but its in the stretford end???(or does only the higher tiers count as stretty???

anywho just wondered about the atomsphere around that area.

cheers guys

·
Registered
1 Posts
am thinkin of buyin tickets for block fam208 for the game wit sunderland-anyone know if its a good atmnosphere here as its a family stand but looks to be in the stretty end too????cheers in advance!;)

·
Registered
200 Posts
fcorry11 said:
am thinkin of buyin tickets for block fam208 for the game wit sunderland-anyone know if its a good atmnosphere here as its a family stand but looks to be in the stretty end too????cheers in advance!;)

yeh go for it!! ive sat there a few times.
in my opinion better than north or south.
yeh there are a few kids about but they usually join in!!

better than the older fans sat in south stand with there picnic!!

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts
Did anyone go to the Barca game? According to Fergie that was our best atmosphere ever. It sounded great on tv, although if it was out best ever atmosphere under Fergie I'll be dissapointed as there were still periods of silence.

Also has anyone been to a recent match vs Liverpool? I'll be going to it so just wondering what the atmosphere will be like compared to previous good atmospheres.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts