Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Barça Consider Piqué Approach

Source: Setanta Sports

FC Barcelona are considering making an approach to re-sign Gerard Piqué from Manchester United, four years after he walk out of Camp Nou.

The 21-year-old defensive ace is seen as having the potential to become one of the best central defenders in Europe by the Blaugrana's technical secretary, Txiki Begiristain.

Unlike with Cesc Fàbregas, Barça do not view Piqué in the same way and would welcome him back as he is said to have always maintained that his dream would be to return to the Catalan club.

United value him highly, but the player's refusal to sign an extension to his contract at Old Trafford on two occasions has left the club frustrated.

Piqué's current deal runs until 2009, when he would be eligible to walk away and join Barcelona on a free transfer if a deal had been negotiated.

After spending a successful season on loan at Real Zaragoza last term, the Spain Under-21 international stated that he wanted to try and break into Sir Alex Ferguson's side.

Rio Ferdinand and Namanja Vidic are the club's first choice defenders in the middle, while Piqué is some way down the pecking order at the moment.

It is his personal desire to play for the Barça first team, however, that has led to speculation in the Catalan press and ensured that the club believe that they could persuade him to go back.

Z

·
0 Posts
I really hope he stays with us as he looks to be a very classy defender.
It's just a shame he's at the club while Rio and Vidic are doing so well,
but with Vidic out for 2 or 3 weeks he may get his chance, unless Brown
is moved to centre back with Rio, and Hargreaves/O'Shea are played at
right back.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
fergie rates him very highly, and thats little chance fergie would let him go, but i afraid that if he does not get any more chances with the first team duties, he might well considers options available to him, and rossi incident all happening again. hope we can see the best of our young players when they are still with utd, not only when they are out on loan or after we have sold them...

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
If Fergie rates him so highly he should have given the young man more opportunities.

He made a mistake when we played Bolton at the Reebok and Quieroz is said to have given him an earful of not making the best of his chance.

But he's a young defender and should have been given more run-outs.

He looks classy to me too, but seems a bit disappointed and who can blame him. I think Fergie clearly has his favourites and it is not fair to younger players who are more deserving of a game.

We don't have a good track record of bringing kids through the academy since neville, Becks and Co and it concerns me.

We've already lost Shawcross (whom I actually thought played with more determination than Pique) and now Evans has been promoting his desire for Sunderland.

Fergie had better find a way to manage these talented kids and give them a game every now and again or risk losing them. Compared to the central defenders that have been produced by the academy in previous years, Pique and Evans look really good and it would be a real pitty if either were to leave.

I think Brown leaving will definitely create more opportunities and hopefully the youngsters want to be at OT badly enough for them to stick around and fight for their places.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
thats the only bad point of having a really big squad. our youngsters really cant get any opportunity to have a run-out with the first team. look at everton, boro, even arsenal. bendtner had a great run with birmingham and he was given chances, he made more appearances than pique + simpson + evans + eagles.
really hope we dun give up on them or more probably, they dun give up on us....

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
If he don't get a good run out next season, we'll probably end up losing him. I think Fergie should show some faith and play him. He can learn alot playing along-side Rio for about 2-3 games. At the very least, move Brown to CB and play him at RB.
I really would hate to loose him, like we lost Rossi. We need to hold on to our best youngsters.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Fergie is all words about him. He is very classy btw and also has found the back of the net for us. I hope he stays.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Very true, could see him becoming a legend for us if he decides to stays.
Definitely possessed the potential & talents to succeed at the big stage
but if no chance's given to him, he can nvr prove that he's up for the job imo.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts