Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Barcelona are the best club team of the last 18 years according to the International Federation of Football History and Statistics, with Manchester United second, and Juventus third...

The International Federation of Football History and Statistics has today named Barcelona as the best club side of the past 18 years.

The IFFHS compiled the statistics from 1991, using the position each team finishes in the annual world rankings as a scoring system, and the Catalan side are 79 points clear of second place Manchester United.

Behind Manchester United come two Italian giants in the form of Juventus and AC Milan, and then down in fifth are Real Madrid.

During the time period taken by the IFFHS, Barcelona have won the Champions League on two occasions, whilst they have won La Liga eight times.

Manchester United on the other hand have also won the Champions League twice, but they have picked up ten Premier League titles.

Below Real Madrid there is quite a gap down to the next Spanish side, with Valencia sitting in joint 17th with Sao Paulo.

England and Italy meanwhile both have four teams in the top 15 of the list.

Official IFFHS Rankings:

1. Barcelona (SPN) 757
2. Manchester United (ENG) 678
3. Juventus FC (ITA) 621
4. Milan AC (ITA) 611
5. Real Madrid (SPN) 605
6. Internazionale Milano (ITA) 567
7. Bayern Munich (GER) 563
8. Arsenal (ENG) 550
9. River Plate (ARG) 503
10. Chelsea (ENG) 442
11. Liverpool (ENG) 435

12. Porto (POR) 425
13. Boca Juniors (ARG) 420
14. AS Roma (ITA) 405
15. AFC Ajax Amsterdam (HOL) 400
16. Parma (ITA) 373
17. São Paulo (BRA) 367
Valencia (SPN) 367
19. Glasgow Rangers (SCO) 364
20. SS Lazio Roma (ITA) 342
Goal.com

Excuse the bias, but i clearly think Man Utd deserve the No.1 spot more. How do they figure this stuff out, anyone know?

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
I'm confused.

10 v 8 in League titles
2 v 2 in CL titles
1 v 0 in CWC titles
4 v 2 in their country's Cup
1 v 0 in the League Cup
7 v 4 in Community Shield/their equivalent

Plus in the All Time Champions League Table (post-reformatting), we're the #1 team. More points than anybody else. If this doesn't make us #1, then nobody deserves it.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Grif SA said:
I'm confused.

10 v 8 in League titles
2 v 2 in CL titles
1 v 0 in CWC titles
4 v 2 in their country's Cup
1 v 0 in the League Cup
7 v 4 in Community Shield/their equivalent

Plus in the All Time Champions League Table (post-reformatting), we're the #1 team. More points than anybody else. If this doesn't make us #1, then nobody deserves it.

It's wrong:
Barcelona won WCW in '97, the year with Ronaldo.
I don't mean with that you're les worthy than Barcelona.....it's a hard choice for me

I think the Institute gives importance also to the 2nd places, and not only titles.
For me it's right: to arrive up to the Final is a sign of being highly competitive.
For that reason, JUVE is upper than Ac Milan and R.Madrid...... we have only 1 Ch.League in that period, but other 3 Finals and, moreover, 1 UEFA Cup and 1 UEFA Cup Final.

But, what about my JUVE if..........
you count two probable more titles instead of a second division tournament and a 3rd place........and you add two partecipations to the Ch.League with a fabulous team ???

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
ejuventus said:

It's wrong:
Barcelona won WCW in '97, the year with Ronaldo.
I don't mean with that you're les worthy than Barcelona.....it's a hard choice for me

I think the Institute gives importance also to the 2nd places, and not only titles.
For me it's right: to arrive up to the Final is a sign of being highly competitive.
For that reason, JUVE is upper than Ac Milan and R.Madrid...... we have only 1 Ch.League in that period, but other 3 Finals and, moreover, 1 UEFA Cup and 1 UEFA Cup Final.

But, what about my JUVE if..........
you count two probable more titles instead of a second division tournament and a 3rd place........and you add two partecipations to the Ch.League with a fabulous team ???
Ehhh... That's wrong, actually. If Barça won the Club World Cup in 1997, then they won the CL that year too, which they didn't. Not to mention the Club World Cup wasn't around back then. Speaking of which, we won the Intercontinental Cup in 99 and Barça didn't.

·
I aim to Misbehave
6,371 Posts
It's not only about tournaments, it's also about games won and lost, to whom they were won or lost, etc, etc.

because, if you go by that alone, both real and AC have 3 champions and they're behind both AND juventus...

Besides, there's clubs there that are somewhat hard to understand, like parma, and even to an extent rangers.

the IFFHS have their system for compiling these ranks, and to say that they're biased, it's unfair, if you ask me...

Look at the rest of the list, and you'll see it's not all about titles.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
reddwarf said:
What puzzles me is why over the last 18 years?

Why not 10, 15 or 20 years?

:confused:
Maybe because IFFHS was formed 18 years ago? I'm not sure, and I'm not going to check, either. This list makes no sense to me. Just using mathematical formulas to determine who is the best club of the past 18 years is a bunch of bull to me.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Nah, it's not points in the league, it's a long formula like:

a(n) + b(o) + c(p) + d(q) + e(r) + f(s) + g(t) + h(u) + i(v) + j(w) + k(x) = z

Or something like that. Wins, league titles, CL wins, CL titles, cup wins, cup titles, etc... They apply a multiplier to all of those statistics according to importance. Naturally winning a trophy is more valuable than a second place finish, it's just a question of how much more important THEY think a win is compared to a second place finish. And this is why their formula fails. The formula itself is objective, but the formula was created by subjective people. And that's a bunch of bologna. Besides, we don't need them to tell us that United has been the best over the past X amount of years. We already know that. ;)

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Grif SA said:
Ehhh... That's wrong, actually. If Barça won the Club World Cup in 1997, then they won the CL that year too, which they didn't. Not to mention the Club World Cup wasn't around back then. Speaking of which, we won the Intercontinental Cup in 99 and Barça didn't.
ops,

I thought it was the Cup Winners' Cup !!
That Man Utd won in 1991 (just against Barcelona)......what justified my doubt about that 1-0...... :(

1 - 18 of 18 Posts