Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know who's playing left back? I have an inckling it may be Bosingwa but am not certain. Whoever it is will have a torrid time against Messi :D

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Yeah it's Boswinga who's gonna start left back.

It actually might suit him in a way, because Messi constantly cuts inside onto his left leaving Boswinga to tackle on his favoured right foot.
But I still wouldn't fancy it going up aginst Messi the form he's in at the moment. :)
He's just incredible, he's improved a lot more from last season when I think Evra done a good job on him over 2 Legs.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Yeah it's Boswinga who's gonna start left back.

It actually might suit him in a way, because Messi constantly cuts inside onto his left leaving Boswinga to tackle on his favoured right foot.
But I still wouldn't fancy it going up aginst Messi the form he's in at the moment. :)
He's just incredible, he's improved a lot more from last season when I think Evra done a good job on him over 2 Legs.
Someone mentioned that on Setanta this morning, should be an interesting duel. Guus will have Malouda track back I'm sure to help out because Alves will be up there in support too.

I'm still undecided who will win, I'd fancy Barca to win at the Nou Camp but Chelsea to get away with an away goal

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Someone mentioned that on Setanta this morning, should be an interesting duel. Guus will have Malouda track back I'm sure to help out because Alves will be up there in support too.

I'm still undecided who will win, I'd fancy Barca to win at the Nou Camp but Chelsea to get away with an away goal
I actually forgot about Alves too. Bosingwa's in for a tough time tonight that's for sure.
I'd fancy Barca to win tonight too, but if I had to make a bet i'd back Chelsea over the 2 Legs. I just feel Barca's defence will be found wanting at Stamford Bridge and if Drogba's on form then he will do the damage.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I actually forgot about Alves too. Bosingwa's in for a tough time tonight that's for sure.
I'd fancy Barca to win tonight too, but if I had to make a bet i'd back Chelsea over the 2 Legs. I just feel Barca's defence will be found wanting at Stamford Bridge and if Drogba's on form then he will do the damage.
Agree fully Shiv. Chelsea have quality all over the pitch. If they can get away with a 2-1 or 3-1 defeat from the Nou Camp, I wouldnt put it past them making a come-back in the 2nd leg.

Their defence and midfield are in for alot of hardwork tonight. Essien will have his hands full with Xavi and Iniesta. I wonder if Guus will put Mikel alongside him instead of Ballack to aid the defence

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
I actually think having to play a right footed player at lef back could be a blessing in disguise. Messi doesn't knock it past defenders down the line, he moves the ball inside onto his left foot, so I think in that situation it would actually be beneficial to be right footed.

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Their defence and midfield are in for alot of hardwork tonight. Essien will have his hands full with Xavi and Iniesta. I wonder if Guus will put Mikel alongside him instead of Ballack to aid the defence
Essien is a Huge player for Chelsea. I wouldn't fancy them on beating Barca if he was still out injured.
He will have a lot of work to do alright like you said. He's the one player I always wished we had signed that time before Chelsea came in with their Millions. :rolleyes:
I would start Mikel over Ballack for that added protection. But I think Hiddink has been trying to turn Ballack into a holding midfielder recenty and he'll probably start him.

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
I actually think having to play a right footed player at lef back could be a blessing in disguise. Messi doesn't knock it past defenders down the line, he moves the ball inside onto his left foot, so I think in that situation it would actually be beneficial to be right footed.
A great point that I was about to make!

A left-footer is more inclined to make a right-winger try to go around the outside of him and then block the cross...but then most right-wingers are right-footed.

Messi is left-footed and incredibly skilful so jinking past a left-footed left-back probably wouldn't hold too many problems for him.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Essien is a Huge player for Chelsea. I wouldn't fancy them on beating Barca if he was still out injured.
He will have a lot of work to do alright like you said. He's the one player I always wished we had signed that time before Chelsea came in with their Millions. :rolleyes:
I would start Mikel over Ballack for that added protection. But I think Hiddink has been trying to turn Ballack into a holding midfielder recenty and he'll probably start him.
He probably will start Ballack for his experience alright. Earlier in his career at Kaiserlautern he was more of a DM and it was only when he went to Leverkusen was he used further forward. So he has the experience to play defensive.

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
Everybody's focusing on Messi & I think Alves will be equally dangerous along the right flank.

Myself I believe Essien Vs Xavi/Iniesta will be the more interesting duel. Perhaps he could stop one. Both?

That's a bridge too far even for Essien. Still Chelsea have the better coach. Pep is a young pup against an old Goose.

Also does that mean Ivanovic at right back? I'd heard a rumor a while back of Macienne playing but that's unlikely.

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
If Chelsea are going to get a result in Barcelona they will need to defend like lions, and maybe nick a goal or two from set pieces. Barcelona are a small and defensively disorganised team, that is where they can be exploited by Chelsea.

Barcelona are by far the superior team, but I do believe Chelsea can get a result in this. Barcelona have not played a team like Chelsea all season, there are no teams with Chelsea's physicality and organisation in La Liga, and Bayern Munich and Sporting Lisbon and not shadows of their former selves.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
Yeah its been all over the media that he will be marking messi tonight, why no cashley though im sure he's not injured is he? Doesn't really matter though as messi will absolutely do him tonight i think! :D

·
GET YOUR HEAD OUT THE PUSSY CLOUDS & IN THE GAME
2,659 Posts
Remember guys, its not just Messi gunnin up that right wing. They have the brilliant Dani Alves there...so they need malouda to do the job and press alves back to get anything there tbh.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts