Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Tykes have used a former United youth keeper, Luke Steele, for their two previous cup shocks against Liverpool and Chelsea, but have been unable to renegotiate a further loan with his parent club West Bromwich Albion.

A fee of £8,000 a week was being demanded for Steele's services, which the South Yorkshire side couldn't afford.

With Foster now fit, not cup tied and with United's interest in this year's FA Cup now over, Barnsley boss Simon Davey is hopeful that Sir Alex Ferguson may let the 24-year-old shotstopper move to Oakwell on a short-term basis.

Back - But For How Long?

After ten months on the sidelines with ruptured cruciate ligaments Foster returned to action for Manchester United at the weekend, keeping goal in the 1-0 win at Derby as cover for the injured Edwin van der Sar and suspended Tomas Kuszczak.

Nevertheless, the latter has now served his ban and is likely to be recalled for this evening's home game against Bolton Wanderers, leaving Foster back on the bench.

Should Barnsley fail in their loan bid for Foster then attention will turn to Villa's third choice keeper Thomas Sorensen.

interesting......

·
Proto-Hipster
46,959 Posts
Foster is good pal and should not leave on the derby match i saw him and he was very good and better than tomaz:eek:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Id prefer Foster over Kuszczak, he just makes me very nervous does Kuszcak, as some one reported on here before Fosters kicking is terrible, sort that out and i have no problems with him being the number 1 for united

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
It would be nice for Foster to play in the FA Cup semi-final for Barnsley after missing out on playing in it for Watford last season.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
he really needs the experience and with kuszczak and VDS(hopefully) coming back we dont need him here at the moment.....

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
TheKingMonkey said:
Id prefer Foster over Kuszczak, he just makes me very nervous does Kuszcak, as some one reported on here before Fosters kicking is terrible, sort that out and i have no problems with him being the number 1 for united
His kicking is perfectly fine. He just had a shakey start to that game vs Derby.
I also feel the same about Kuscazk. I don't completely trust him to be in goal for us..

·
Registered
6,607 Posts
Barnsley have confirmed they are keen to re-sign keeper Luke Steele on loan from West Brom, enabling him to play in their FA Cup semi-final at Wembley. Steele, 23, was the Tykes hero as they dumped out Liverpool and Chelsea in the Cup but his loan spell ended on Monday. Barnsley and parent club West Brom want different deals but Barnsley chairman Gordon Shepherd told BBC Sport: "We have not given up on signing Luke. "The two managers are still talking, the deal is not dead by any means."

The talks have remained deadlocked over whether any move will be permanent and who pays the player's wages, with West Brom having subsidised Steele's wages during his month at Oakwell by paying 60%.
West Brom chairman Jeremy Peace says they want Barnsley to pay more for Steele because of the money he has helped them make by reaching the FA Cup semi-finals.

They also want Barnsley to sign Steele on a permanent basis at the end of the season. Shepherd added: "The latest situation is that we want to take Luke on loan and West Brom want us to make the deal permanent. "I haven't spoken to West Brom since last week but I know our manager Simon Davey is still in talks with their manager Tony Mowbray about this deal.

"I don't know if anyone from Barnsley has spoken to Luke since he returned to West Brom on Monday but he knows we want to keep him." Newspaper reports have linked Barnsley with loan moves for Manchester United keeper Ben Foster and Aston Villa's Thomas Sorensen. Shepherd revealed the Tykes will definitely bring in another keeper on loan this week, whether or not they wrap up a deal for Steele.

"We have an important league game against Sheffield United on Saturday and we need to get a keeper in for then, so a decision has to be made soon either way," he said. "Various names have been mentioned in the press but you have to have a back-up plan in case it doesn't go the way you want. "Simon is aware of plenty of keepers he could bring in on loan so we'll see what happens."

1 - 9 of 9 Posts