Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The BBC has retained the rights to broadcast Premier League highlights up until the end of the 2013 campaign.

This allows the BBC to continue to show Match of the Day on Saturday and Sunday and MOTD2 on Sunday evenings - and other evenings when fixtures justify.

In addition, MOTD2 will be available on BBC iPlayer every Tuesday from 2010.

"The BBC's commitment to the League, the clubs and their fans has been an undoubted success," said Premier League chief executive, Richard Scudamore.

"The free-to-air highlights are a critical part of the Premier League's broadcast presence, helping the competition and our clubs reach the maximum domestic audience possible, and we are pleased to see our relationship continue."

Roger Mosey

Roger Mosey, director of BBC Sport, added: "Match of the Day is a major landmark for the BBC, and we're delighted that it will continue to showcase the best of the Premier League for a further three years.

"The programme's audiences have been growing strongly during the current contract, and it remains the place where most people in the UK watch top league action.

"It's also great for fans to have MOTD2 on the BBC iPlayer for the first time - meaning we have a rich array of football content online."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/7856459.stm

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
Good news.

Although I have Sky, I think that some football should also be shown on channels that are "free to view" (I say that because you have to pay a TV Licence :rolleyes:)

I guess the highlight rights get bought at a different time to the live rights?

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
manutd004 said:
I guess the highlight rights get bought at a different time to the live rights?
Yeah, and the live rights go up for sale soon (either after this season, or after next season) and rumor has it ESPN is really looking for them, which would be nice for me, not sure about you European folks.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
piazza said:
Yeah, and the live rights go up for sale soon (either after this season, or after next season) and rumor has it ESPN is really looking for them, which would be nice for me, not sure about you European folks.
I'm not sure either.

The only ESPN channel we get on Sky is ESPN Classic, which obviously only shows the old stuff. So unless they get the rights and agree to put more channels on Sky it looks as though we would miss out on those games.

Mind you, it would be a bit strange if Britain for one, England especially, missed out on seeing the Live Premiership games so they might have to arrange something.

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
manutd004 said:
I'm not sure either.

The only ESPN channel we get on Sky is ESPN Classic, which obviously only shows the old stuff. So unless they get the rights and agree to put more channels on Sky it looks as though we would miss out on those games.

Mind you, it would be a bit strange if Britain for one, England especially, missed out on seeing the Live Premiership games so they might have to arrange something.
I'm assuming Sky Sports would pay ESPN to show them in England, and ESPN would show them Stateside and elsewhere.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
piazza said:
I'm assuming Sky Sports would pay ESPN to show them in England, and ESPN would show them Stateside and elsewhere.
Yeah, but it might depend on who wins the bidding war. Their seperated into different packages I believe, and I think its pretty much guaranteed that Sky Sports will get one package.

Is there any law to say you can't have more than a certain amount of packages? If not, then I guess Sky Sports would do what you say.

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
piazza said:
I would think ESPN would launch a EURO channel if that happened, and seems like happening anyways. They already have a monopoly here in the the States on all things sports, and the money they have to throw around is ridiculous. To think that they even have their own city is ridiculous.

There is so much money for them to make by winning the Premiership contract, that I can't see anything happening other wise.

·
Registered
364 Posts
piazza said:
the rights are done regionally anyway. So ESPN would buy the rights for the Americas block, Sky/Setanta would buy the rights for the British block, etc.

·
He wipes front to back
27,654 Posts
oh no hanson and lawro four more years .

still david pleat has to be kept from our screens at all costs

1 - 11 of 11 Posts