Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
4,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Capello has a heart of stone ...

And this is just what England team needs right now !!

He dropped Beckham for a mediocre little friendly game against Switzerland.
Quite rightly too. Beckham hasn't played once since November. He thought
running around the pitch a few times with Les Arse would pass as being match
fit, lmao.

Many will claim Beckham's past service more than earned him the right to a 100th
cap against Switzerland at Wembley.

Some will be shocked at Capello's apparent lack of sentimentality. That he has
this heart of stone and doesn't understand the national psyche when it comes to
the heroes of St George.

Yet Beckham's reaction last night to his omission — pulling out of a gala charity
event on the pathetic grounds that LA Galaxy wanted him back for ‘fitness
assessments' — confirms just how wise Capello is.

Having been his boss at Real Madrid he knows all about the Beckham circus and
the destabilising effect the player's ego can have on a team. When Beckham
doesn't get his own way, he thinks of no one but himself. As he did at the World
Cup of 2002 when, clearly unfit, he still managed to persuade the all-too-easily
convinced Eriksson that he HAD to be there.

The outcome was that players who should have been in the team were denied
their opportunity. Beckham had to come first — especially in Japan and Korea
where the Beckham Brand earned him millions.

There was a similar scenario at Madrid. Out of the side and also dropped by
England, his self-preservation instinct kicked in once more.

If they don't want me, I know someone who does. Hence the mad dash for the
States.

If he had waited, if he had been able to manage that enormous pride of his, he
could have had another couple of seasons in European football — and his 100th
cap would have been a formality.

Even then, there would have still been time for some California Dreamin' and
zillions of dollars.

Letting down a charity because he is pissed off !!

This is not good behaviour Mr Beckham !!

You chose your destiny and many people dont have that option.

I've had enough of this ego fuelled idiot - I hope he never plays for England again
to be honest.

Go back to Hollywood with all your bling and superstar buddies Mr.....

Goodbye and good riddance !!

·
Berbatov>Tevez
11,077 Posts
damn carly , you're pissed... I'm no Becks fan, but even Capello confessed he'd made a mistake with dropping becks who later won him La Liga along with robinho and RVN - the other were crap ! He made a mistake by joining Galaxy, but he did bounce back

·
23,699 Posts
I have to agree fully. Think it is probably the main problem why England, my favourite (sucker) team, always underperform. Too many past reputations or undue influences affecting selection and actual play.

England probably need a coach with a heart of stone to revolutionise (not rafa-lutionise please) the entire make-up, based on current form and ability only. And who else can do it better than a stone-hearted been-there-done-that Capello.

May it be the dawn of a new era for England. Then we, who grew up on EPL in the Far East, would have something to cheer about in the next major tournament, less Euro 2008 unfortunately.

·
He wipes front to back
27,654 Posts
capello picks on form not reputation ? so what the hell is owen doing in the squad ? i am replying to my other self not anyone thats posted yet . i call him the devils advocate . i am sure becks will get his 100th . lets never forget he is red thru and thru and would have played for us till he dropped if he hadnt fallen out with boss man .

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
i dont see the big deal on this whole situation. so beckham didnt get his 100th cap, o well its a friendly. he aint match fit at this point in time. he will be match fit at another point in time when capello might decide to recall him. I aint got a problem with beckham, his still a legend for what he achieved for Manchester united and is a fantastic footballer. im glad he has been dropped because their are players that are deserving a place more than him atm. but im sure later down the line, even this season he will be in form recalled and get his cap. geez england get over it, its Switzerland, were probably lose anyway lol

·
23,699 Posts
It is only a provisional squad after all...

More interestingly, as edited from AFP:

It seems the Italian did not react well to widely published photographs of the midfielder this week juggling a ball on a Brazilian beach to promote his new academy.

While the 32-year-old LA Galaxy player has been training with Arsenal and insisted he was match fit, one England source said: "It was not the most clever of moves to be seen on a beach in Brazil when the new England manager is considering who to pick."

Beckham's day was made worse when he was criticised by Argentina legend Diego Maradona. He described the former Manchester United star as "just a good player, nothing more." The Argentinian said: "He's not a great player, he doesn't belong to the superior group of players. There are hundreds of Beckhams playing football all over the world."

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Well, if I was Capello, I would have played Beckham. Here's my reasoning: If you don't play Beckham in this friendly, the press will be all over it, some fans will be saying he deserves it, and there is a whole lot of this, what's going on right now. If you pick Beckham, let him get his 100th cap in a friendly, then let him retire or whatever, the situation is a lot more friendly. Beckham gets praise, and the press and fans don't question Capello over his decision.

As for Beckham, well yes, getting 100 would be nice, but people will remember you whether or not you get there. You think we would forget Giggs if he, and I'm using this as an example, stops one short of Sir Bobby Charlton's appearance record? Of course not, so Beckham shouldn't be so obsessed about a number.

·
23,699 Posts
Grif SA said:
Well, if I was Capello, I would have played Beckham. Here's my reasoning: If you don't play Beckham in this friendly, the press will be all over it, some fans will be saying he deserves it, and there is a whole lot of this, what's going on right now. If you pick Beckham, let him get his 100th cap in a friendly, then let him retire or whatever, the situation is a lot more friendly. Beckham gets praise, and the press and fans don't question Capello over his decision.

As for Beckham, well yes, getting 100 would be nice, but people will remember you whether or not you get there. You think we would forget Giggs if he, and I'm using this as an example, stops one short of Sir Bobby Charlton's appearance record? Of course not, so Beckham shouldn't be so obsessed about a number.
Plausible points...

But I would be, if I am him. 99 does make a person wonder, anxious and edgy, you know. :p

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Isnt Capello given time to re-build Englands football team? Why going for a guy born 75 who have moved away from football to MSL? OK, MSL is now a better league then it was when they tried to boost football over there the last time but still moving away from Real Madrid for an obscure league is not a way to show the National team coaches he's on the downhill and is not a player to be picked for the first XI. Have faith in "boring" Capello and let him build the New England and not any tabloids.

·
Registered
6,607 Posts
When Fergie sold Beckham to Real, fans all over the world questioned Fergie's sanity, and worse and yet time has proved Fergie 100% correct - he, like me, could see the way it was heading. He was, even at that time, spending more and more time on "personals" than training. The farce of a circus that followed him around was getting damn ridiculous and his wife was strutting her funky stuff around OT like she owned it.

I supported Fergie at that time as I support Capello in his now. Beckham is no longer a player, even of England's low standard. How many games has he played in the past few months? He is not even match fit.

Beckham is old news, past history, forget him

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
I think Capello was right to leave it out for the reason he stated (no matches since November). Thats fair enough I guess despite Bex training hard with Les Arses.

I cant say I agree with your thread Carly. Beckham was left out in the cold at Madrid so he made plans to play his football elsewhere. He chose the States for family reasons and for the fact that He could be the man to change the face of he sport in that part of the world. he is taking on a huge task bu there is no better man. He ALWAYS fights back from adversity and he will do the same this time and he WILL get his 100th cap.

Once he starts playing again he will get picked for the qualifiers for his experience and what he offers the team (dead ball deliveries and crosses). He does this better than anyone so he will get back in on that basis alone.

Capello has done this to prove a point and he is probably right. He will be a great success at England, Im sure of it.
but he more than most knows what Bex can offer. He brought him back before and he WILL bring him back again.
Capello is just testing out the younger lads.

When Bex makes his 100th cap should be a happy day for all United fans, England fans and general football fans.
he has done so much for football for our club and your country so you should be happy and proud when he makes that milestone.

Sorry for the waffle but he deserves a lot of credit imo.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts