Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 155 Posts

·
GOAT
6,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the last few years they've slowly developed a lot of good players and they now have a fantastic squad, which makes me think, do they have a small chance at Brazil next year, or perhaps at the Euro's in 2016?

They have a great blend of youth and experience in their side which is perfect.

Courtois​
Alderweireld Kompany Vertonghen Vermaelen​
Witsel​
Fellaini Dembélé​
Mirallas Lukaku Hazard​

They still have Benteke, De Bruyne, Hazard, Chadli, Defour, Mertens and a couple others for options as well.

I think they'll surprise a lot of people in the coming years.

·
Agonising transfer muppet
3,306 Posts
For the last few years they've slowly developed a lot of good players and they now have a fantastic squad, which makes me think, do they have a small chance at Brazil next year, or perhaps at the Euro's in 2016?

Courtois​
Witsel​
Fellaini Dembélé​
Mirallas Lukaku Hazard​

They still have Benteke, De Bruyne, Hazard, Chadli, Defour, Mertens and a couple others for options as well.

Januzaj for Mirallas :p

·
Proto-Hipster
46,959 Posts

Courtois​
Witsel​
Fellaini Dembélé​
Mirallas Lukaku Hazard​

Witsel can't play that deep. They don't have anyone who sits deep and protects the defence.

·
Proto-Hipster
46,959 Posts
It can easily change, Dembele and Fellaini often play deep for their respective clubs and we all know how good those two are.
Mousa is box to box. Fellaini and Witsel both play their best football in advanced positions. None of them is disciplined enough to set back and they all love to charge forward. I'd play Defour with Dembélé and Fellaini as the most advanced midfielder.
Belgium's biggest weakness is going to be the lack of high quality fullbacks, Alderweireld can play right back and Vertonghen can play left back, but they would be better with natural fullbacks.

I can see them making the semi-finals of the world cup. But the real terror will be at the Euros, I wouldn't be surprised if they win the next Euros. Most of their young players will be older and more experienced and they will have an influx of the younger generation with the likes of Adnan and Hazard II.

·
GOAT
6,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mousa is box to box. Fellaini and Witsel both play their best football in advanced positions. None of them is disciplined enough to set back and they all love to charge forward. I'd play Defour with Dembélé and Fellaini as the most advanced midfielder.
Belgium's biggest weakness is going to be the lack of high quality fullbacks, Alderweireld can play right back and Vertonghen can play left back, but they would be better with natural fullbacks.

I can see them making the semi-finals of the world cup. But the real terror will be at the Euros, I wouldn't be surprised if they win the next Euros. Most of their young players will be older and more experienced and they will have an influx of the younger generation with the likes of Adnan and Hazard II.
I think Alderweireld is a very solid full back and Arsenal are rumoured to be after him, they should keep Vertonghen at centre back and stick Vermaelen out on the left because he's been awful at in the middle for a while now and he's actually a better defender on the left.

Lukaku, Benteke, Hazard, Hazard II, Januzaj, De Bruyne and Courtois (who's the best young keeper in Europe) are all young and will improve a lot and with the already established players they have in the side, they're going to be a force to be reckoned with in years to come.

·
Proto-Hipster
46,959 Posts
I think Alderweireld is a very solid full back and Arsenal are rumoured to be after him, they should keep Vertonghen at centre back and stick Vermaelen out on the left because he's been awful at in the middle for a while now and he's actually a better defender on the left.

Lukaku, Benteke, Hazard, Hazard II, Januzaj, De Bruyne and Courtois (who's the best young keeper in Europe) are all young and will improve a lot and with the already established players they have in the side, they're going to be a force to be reckoned with in years to come.
I'm glad Benteke is staying at Aston Villa, I personally rate him more than Lukaku (Thought Lukaku got age and potential on his side)

Both Verm and Alder are better as CBs. Belgium should start producing fullbacks.

·
GOAT
6,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm glad Benteke is staying at Aston Villa, I personally rate him more than Lukaku (Thought Lukaku got age and potential on his side)

Both Verm and Alder are better as CBs. Belgium should start producing fullbacks.
I rate Lukaku very highly, he has literally everything to be a world class centre forward and as long as Chelsea don't f**k him around, he should reach his potential.

I do think Lukaku will be the better player out of him and Benteke and Benteke is still a very good player who is unplayable on his day, 17 league goals in his first year in England is impressive.

Vermaelen has been sh*t at centre half for a while now and he's made a fair few errors but when he was shifted out wide when Gibbs got injured (yet again), he was a lot more consistent.

·
We'll Never Die.
1,724 Posts
The World Cup next year is too soon for them, in my opinion anyway.

But, I reckon they'll have a right chance for the Euro's in 2016.

Very impressive squad as of now, with some of the brightest young talents in Europe. They've been producing some top talent over the last few years and there's probably another couple who'll burst onto the scene by 2016.

Don't think many people will be surprised by them over the next few years either, as most football fans have been aware of the talented footballers they've been producing, for the last couple of years now.

·
The Chosen Juan
4,690 Posts

This isn't 2010, every serious football fan knows by now that Belgium have a fuck load of talent and shouldn't be surprised if they have a decent campaign at the international tournaments over the next 15-20 years. Unfortunately for Belgium, quite a few nations have a quality group of youngsters coming through. Brazil, Germany & Spain are the obvious three, then there's Italy, Holland, France & even England....Argentina, Croatia & Russia also have some promising talents coming through too; so in the second half of this decade & going into the next, Belgium's golden generation will have serious competition. I'm 98% sure Brazil will win next year's World Cup, so Belgium's best chance of winning something will be 2016 IMO.

·
GOAT
6,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Belgium is known for a lot of things, but not traditionally a strong national football team.

The Diables Rouges ("Red Devils") have never been a contender among the European nations. They have only qualified for one of the last seven European Championships. They failed to reach the last two World Cup Finals and have only progressed further than the Round of 16 once.
At next summer's World Cup, however, the Belgians are likely to be an underdog that will surprise and shock with their progress.
In the past few years, Belgium have changed immensely. Between March, 2009, and September, 2010, they lost 11 of their 16 matches. Their only competitive victory was a World Cup qualifier over Turkey, which also failed to reach the tournament in South Africa.
Since the departure of unsuccessful managers Franky Vercauteren and Dick Advocaat, this Belgium squad has become a prominent force in Europe. They have won all five of their games in 2013, including a hard-fought World Cup qualifier against Serbia last week. The victory leaves them at the top spot, three points ahead of Croatia, of UEFA Group A with three games remaining.
Their last competitive loss was back in October 2011, when they were defeated away from home by Germany in a Euro 2012 qualifier.
Belgium are now guaranteed to progress from their World Cup qualifying group, and few would doubt their ability to earn an automatic spot at next summer's tournament by winning the group.

As any Premier League fan will already know, the secret to Belgium's recent success is an overwhelming array of talent across the pitch.
At the back, they boast the captains of Arsenal and Manchester City, Thomas Vermaelen and Vincent Kompany. Also among the centre-back artillery is Bayern Munich's Daniel Van Buyten, while Jan Vertonghen—easily one of Tottenham's best players last season—has been filling in at left-back.
With options like these in the back four, it's no surprise that Belgium have conceded only two goals in World Cup qualifying.
The midfield is another embarrassment of Premier League riches, with a trio of world-class Chelsea stars: the gifted up-and-comer Kevin De Bruyne, Eden Hazard, and his younger brother Thorgan, who had another superb season on loan at Zulte Waregem.

Joining this this tour de force in the middle of the park is the power of Mousa Dembele and Marouane Fellaini. Along with the technical ability of Zenit's Axel Witsel, Belgium have one of the most feared midfields in international football.
In front of these stars, Belgium can also boast Christian Benteke, Romelu Lukaku and Kevin Mirallas. Lukaku and Benteke alone managed 36 Premier League goals last season. One can only imagine how fruitful their contributions may be in Brazil.
Belgium currently have an ideal blend of youth and experience in their squad, and manager Marc Wilmots provides stability. Although only in charge of the first team for a little over a year, Wilmots was assistant manager from 2009 to 2012 and has been in the international set-up since 1986 when he joined the U19 side as a player.
If there is one man who knows these players and how to get the best out of them, it is Wilmots.

Suggesting that Belgium might go all the way might be a step too far—particularly at a South American tournament where local teams traditionally prevail—but don't be too surprised if the Diables Rouges end up outperforming their European counterparts.

·
The Mexican Boy George
7,601 Posts
They really should put in a good performance in the next WC based on their pool of talent, I have a feeling they'll disappoint though.

·
Agonising transfer muppet
3,306 Posts
That sounds familiar to us English. . .

How the fuck did we do so shit in tournaments with that side? :facepalm
Put Rio in for Cambell and that team could have won a euros. All that's missing is a naturally left sided player, if Giggs played for England, holy fuck we would have been invincible. David James aside.

·
In Jones we trust
8,412 Posts
You had David James in goal for a start.
TBF in spite of his reputation he was solid enough for England. Besides, it was never really defending or conceding that was England's problem. The 2010 World Cup aside its usually been elimination via penalties or the odd goal.

Put Rio in for Cambell and that team could have won a euros. All that's missing is a naturally left sided player, if Giggs played for England, holy f**k we would have been invincible. David James aside.
If only we weren't so shit at penalties. . . 2004 was our best chance IMO. Rooney was on fire at the Euros and it wasn't a particularly strong year for some of the other "big" nations such as Germany, Spain and Italy. That was the chance. . . Now its gone.

1 - 20 of 155 Posts