Manchester United Talk banner

101 - 120 of 155 Posts

·
Registered
26,222 Posts
I'd say the German defence is a lot more solid than the Spanish one where they have the best right back in the world along with Hummels, Mertesaker, Howedes and Boetang

Spain edge the central midfield area though it is close. Khedira is very good and he's even better for Germany than he is for Madrid and Schweinsteiger and Kroos are both class. It's Spain's depth that edges them, they certainly have some great options.

Attacking midfield Germany definitely beat Spain, Götze, Ozil and Reus are better than Cazorla, Silva and Isco though Mata is on the same level as the Germans and Iniesta is clearly head and shoulders above all of them. Still, it's definitely close.

Spain have the better options upfront currently but Del Bosque seems to love Torres so we never really get a chance to see Soldado in the team on a full time basis despite being clearly the better player.

Both teams have great squads that's for sure.
Tom, stop talking shite. Hummels and Lahm aside, the German defence is average. Ramos and Alba equal those two.

Khedira is better than none of Spain's central midfielders. None. Schweinsteiger aside, they're blown out of the water. Kroos is an attacking midfielder, not a central midfielder.

Reus aside, Iniesta and Silva beat anything that Germany have. Götze could potentially be on all three's level soon. Isco is as good as him though. Mata is not to be forgotten either, he's on par with Özil. Navas gives them another dimension too.

Soldado, Negredo, Torres, Villa, Morata, Rodrigo. Germany have little outside of Gómez.

·
GOAT
6,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
Tom, stop talking shite. Hummels and Lahm aside, the German defence is average. Ramos and Alba equal those two.

Khedira is better than none of Spain's central midfielders. None. Schweinsteiger aside, they're blown out of the water. Kroos is an attacking midfielder, not a central midfielder.

Reus aside, Iniesta and Silva beat anything that Germany have. Götze could potentially be on all three's level soon. Isco is as good as him though. Mata is not to be forgotten either, he's on par with Özil. Navas gives them another dimension too.

Soldado, Negredo, Torres, Villa, Morata, Rodrigo. Germany have little outside of Gómez.
I wouldn't say its average but it does need improving and I think Howedes will certainly improve them.

Kroos is an attacking midfielder you're right, but he can easily play deeper and like I said Spain beat them in central midfield.

Silva isn't better than any German attacking midfielders, Reus, Götze and Ozil are better than everything Spain have to offer apart from Mata and Iniesta.

Navas does give them another dimension as does Pedro but neither are as good as Müller, no way.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
I wouldn't say its average but it does need improving and I think Howedes will certainly improve them.

Kroos is an attacking midfielder you're right, but he can easily play deeper and like I said Spain beat them in central midfield.

Silva isn't better than any German attacking midfielders, Reus, Götze and Ozil are better than everything Spain have to offer apart from Mata and Iniesta.

Navas does give them another dimension as does Pedro but neither are as good as Müller, no way.
I think if Silva is playing at his 100% he's better than any other attacking midfielder in the world, except Iniesta.
And, I don't know if I'm the only one, but I still think that Reus is much better a player than Gotze (as for now). Probably he'll get there soon, I have no doubt he has all the potential in the world, but I still need to see him perform consistently in a top level. About Ozil... Yeah, he's amazing, he can be unplayable at times, but most of the season he's just good. This last year he improved a lot in that sense, and I expect him to keep doing the same... Because on his day, he's unbelievable.

About Muller, he's physique and goal. He's not an amazing footballer with the ball on his feet, he's not amazingly fast or exquisite techincally; he's a lot more clever than the rest. Kroos is a outstanding player, really good and mature, with an amazing right foot. Gundogan is pure talent, he's going to be the key piece of the German side in a really short period of time.

Defensively I think Lahm is 34320 times the player Arbeloa is. But if I had to take a CB pair I'd probably choose the Spanish one. I like Hummels a lot, specially his mindset of playing every ball, but I think Badstuber/Boateng/Mertesacker/Howedes are the weakest piece of the German team.

The striker position is the place where both teams have more problems... Spain can't find their trustable striker (or strikers) as once were Torres and Villa. I think it's good that Villa is getting game time this year for the national team, and I think Negredo and Soldado should be given chances, but I also have to admit that they're probably not as good as the rest of the team is (Specially compared to the midfield). And Llorente is a good option too, but he hasn't played this year, and we're yet to see how much he's going to play this season with Tevez, Quagliarella, Vucinic, Matri, Giovinco in the same squad...

About the young talents coming from each country, it's hardly comparable. It's really difficult to compare, because for example Thiago and Gundogan are almost the same age, and while one has had International experience with the absolute German team, and Champions League final experience being a starter for his team.... The other one has played the u-21 Eurocup, and has barely seen game time this year. So it's very difficult; Even though I would personally go for Ilarramendi, Thiago, Koke, Muniain, Isco, Morata, Canales.... But that's only because I've watched them play a lot more.

·
GOAT
6,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
I think if Silva is playing at his 100% he's better than any other attacking midfielder in the world, except Iniesta.
And, I don't know if I'm the only one, but I still think that Reus is much better a player than Gotze (as for now). Probably he'll get there soon, I have no doubt he has all the potential in the world, but I still need to see him perform consistently in a top level. About Ozil... Yeah, he's amazing, he can be unplayable at times, but most of the season he's just good. This last year he improved a lot in that sense, and I expect him to keep doing the same... Because on his day, he's unbelievable.

About Muller, he's physique and goal. He's not an amazing footballer with the ball on his feet, he's not amazingly fast or exquisite techincally; he's a lot more clever than the rest. Kroos is a outstanding player, really good and mature, with an amazing right foot. Gundogan is pure talent, he's going to be the key piece of the German side in a really short period of time.

Defensively I think Lahm is 34320 times the player Arbeloa is. But if I had to take a CB pair I'd probably choose the Spanish one. I like Hummels a lot, specially his mindset of playing every ball, but I think Badstuber/Boateng/Mertesacker/Howedes are the weakest piece of the German team.

The striker position is the place where both teams have more problems... Spain can't find their trustable striker (or strikers) as once were Torres and Villa. I think it's good that Villa is getting game time this year for the national team, and I think Negredo and Soldado should be given chances, but I also have to admit that they're probably not as good as the rest of the team is (Specially compared to the midfield). And Llorente is a good option too, but he hasn't played this year, and we're yet to see how much he's going to play this season with Tevez, Quagliarella, Vucinic, Matri, Giovinco in the same squad...

About the young talents coming from each country, it's hardly comparable. It's really difficult to compare, because for example Thiago and Gundogan are almost the same age, and while one has had International experience with the absolute German team, and Champions League final experience being a starter for his team.... The other one has played the u-21 Eurocup, and has barely seen game time this year. So it's very difficult; Even though I would personally go for Ilarramendi, Thiago, Koke, Muniain, Isco, Morata, Canales.... But that's only because I've watched them play a lot more.
Good post.

I think Spain's midfield is brilliant but Owenzy and a couple others do underrate Germany's a lot.

Kroos, Schweinsteiger, Khedira, Bender (both) and Gündogan are exceptional footballers and some may argue that it doesn't match up to Xavi, Busquets, Alonso, Thiago and Fabregas; it's still pretty close IMO.

If I had to pick a starting XI and bench with the two squads I'd be..

Casillas​
Lahm Hummels Ramos Alba​
Busquets Schweinsteiger​
Reus Ozil Iniesta​
Soldado​

Bench: Neuer, Piqué, Gündogan, Mata, Götze, Gomez, Silva

It's very close between these two squads.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
Good post.

I think Spain's midfield is brilliant but Owenzy and a couple others do underrate Germany's a lot.

Kroos, Schweinsteiger, Khedira, Bender (both) and Gündogan are exceptional footballers and some may argue that it doesn't match up to Xavi, Busquets, Alonso, Thiago and Fabregas; it's still pretty close IMO.

Casillas​
Lahm Hummels Ramos Alba​
Busquets Schweinsteiger​
Reus Ozil Iniesta​
Soldado​

It definitely is. Up until now, the times both teams have faced each other the difference for me has been that both teams need the ball to play their football style, and in that sense, I think Spain was those times the played agains each other a little bit ahead of Germany (Even though Germany has improved in that aspect recently, with the likes of Gotze, Gundogan, Reus etc etc who didn't play the last time the two teams met), and when Germany doesn't own the ball, they struggle, just like Spain when they don't. And that's where the difference was in the previous meetings, Spain owned the ball, and Germans had to run after it... And that's not what they like to play.

Looking forward to next year, I think it'd be really interesting to see a match between the two teams, and see which one controls the game and has the ball, which is both teams' best weapon; I think it'd be a lot closer than in previous years, but I still think that Spain could dominate the ball, specially playing with a false 9 (specially vs taller defenders like the Germans are, and that don't like to move too much from their comfort zone (even though I know Hummels likes to move and takes a lot of pitch on his own) ).

I don't know if I explained myself correctly, but when I was talking about the past meetings between the two teams, it's the same situation for me as when Barcelona and Arsenal play each other in Champions League. Both teams need the ball to play their football, both of thems style is based on ball posssession... But Barça was better in that aspect, and if you're better in touching and keeping the ball against a team that needs the ball to play, you've disarmed then. That's what happened in the previous meetings.

Anyway, I hope we get to see Germany vs Spain in next years' world cup, I'm really looking forward to it.

·
Agonising transfer muppet
3,306 Posts
Good post.

Casillas​
Lahm Hummels Ramos Alba​
Busquets Schweinsteiger​
Reus Ozil Iniesta​
Soldado​

I couldn't leave Xavi out of any team.

·
Registered
26,222 Posts

Both defences are good overall, not amazing. Germany are better organised and less fluid overall than Spain, which gives them a defensive edge.

Silva is the best playmaker in the word when in form. He influences games more than Iniesta even. Özil is a difference maker in the final third, but he's not as good as at dictating the tempo of the game. Silva can. Plus, Silva is a goal machine for Spain compared to club level.

Mata, Kagawa, Özil, all three are similar. They score lots of goals and rack up a lot of assists, but don't do what Silva does. He's everywhere, dictating the game. He scores less goals because of that, but he's better for the team that way.

Navas is more of a winger than Müller. Both offer different things.

·
Your arms are just too short to box with God
30,116 Posts
Thomas Muller is first-choice for Germany and is talked of as a squad player.....do people actually at least look at teams sheets for a bit of research??

·
Registered
26,222 Posts
Thomas Muller is first-choice for Germany and is talked of as a squad player.....do people actually at least look at teams sheets for a bit of research??
Germany don't really have a regular starting 11 as such. The emergence of Gündoğan, Reus, Götze and Draxler has shaken up their attacking options.

·
Proto-Hipster
46,959 Posts
Thiago will probably play deeper where Xavi, Alonso and Busquets play.

The Spanish attacking midfielders are not versatile, they play one way and no matter what they will stick to their way of playing. The Germans have a much better, versatile way of playing and they shown in the Champions League what they're capable of doing.

The Germans absolutely destroyed the Spanish in the semi finals of the Champions League this season.
Mata, Cazorla and Isco are very versatile, Mata and Isco are better than any German AM.

·
GOAT
6,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
They're definitely a force to be reckoned with and they most certainly are a frightening side.

Courtois
Alderweireld Vertonghen Kompany Vermaelen
Fellaini Witsel/De Bruyne Dembele
Chadli/Mertens Benteke/Lukaku Hazard
That's a very good side that is very much capable of giving the best teams problems.

·
i'm a potato
6,683 Posts
They're definitely a force to be reckoned with and they most certainly are a frightening side.

Courtois
Alderweireld Vertonghen Kompany Vermaelen
Fellaini Witsel/De Bruyne Dembele
Chadli/Mertens Benteke/Lukaku Hazard
That's a very good side that is very much capable of giving the best teams problems.
4 CB's in defence?
Also Mirallas > Mertns&Chadli

·
Member of the Year 2012 & 2013
43,919 Posts
I wouldn't start Dembele, I'd drop Hazard into the hole, instead of playing Dembele in a 3, and would play Mirallas & Chadli on the wings

·
GOAT
6,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #120
I wouldn't start Dembele, I'd drop Hazard into the hole, instead of playing Dembele in a 3, and would play Mirallas & Chadli on the wings
Belgium would be better off dropping Witsel instead of Dembele IMO.

Fellaini Dembele
Hazard
Mirallas Lukaku/Benteke Chadli
That's a deadly side right there.

101 - 120 of 155 Posts