Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Manchester United goalkeeper Ben Foster has quashed reports he has grown frustrated with life on the fringes at Old Trafford and insisted he is ready to stay and fight for a place in the first team.

The 25-year-old had been linked with a number of clubs, including Tottenham Hotspur, and it had looked as though he might be set to leave the champioins.

However, according to the News of the World, the stopper is ready to stay and fight for his place.

Foster said, “I reckon you only get one crack at Manchester United and you have to give it a go.â€

Current goalkeeper Edwin Van der Sar recently signed a new contract with the club, however this does not appear to faze Foster, who is clearly hoping to see out the rest of his career in Manchester.

He explained, “For me, this is my club. I want to be No.1 keeper here for the rest of my career.â€

Foster signed for United back in 2005 but initially spent two seasons out on loan at Watford, impressing with a series of superb displays.

Although Foster subsequently returned to the Red Devils, he suffered a serious knee injury last season which ruled him out for the majority of the last campaign.

The former Stoke City man has also suffered with injury this year, he was due to fly out to the World Club Championship, but suffered a broken finger on the eve of the trip and missed the tournament.

He is generally seen as the future goalkeeper at Old Trafford when 38-year-old Van der Sar eventually retires, although he will face competition from United's third goalkeeper, Tomas Kuszcak.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Yesssssssssss, great news. I really think Foster has what it takes to be United and England NO.1 when he was at Watford I thought he deserved a spot in the PFA team of the year some of the saves he pulled where amazing that season.

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
I think he seriously needs to work on two of his attributes. They are his positioning and command of area.

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
I think he needs some games, in order to get over his injury, and to get the nerves of being a United player out of his system, the pressure of United can never be underestimated, after all it got to Tim Howard eventually, but now that he's at a smaller club, he's done quite well for himself. I'd still rather see a Frey or Adler or Neuer but, I'd like to see Foster have his shot.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
If Fergie doesn't trust him to play a cup tie against Southampton, he SHOULD be looking to make a career elsewhere.

I feel sorry for him. He had two good seasons at Watford and now his career is on hold. It's a vicious cycle. He needs games, but isn't getting them.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
He isn't going to prove that he can be no 1 without games.

I think that he is certainly good enough to be our no 1. However, to really be a contender for the no 1 position he needs games to get over his injury and to get his match sharpness back. Hopefully he starts against Derby.

He is a better keeper than Kuszczak but I'm not sure if Sir Alex see's it that way.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
He'll get his chance. He is our future. At the very least, maybe he should be loaned out for the remainder of the season.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts