Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
England squad:

Goalkeepers: David James (Portsmouth), Robert Green (West Ham United), Ben Foster (Manchester United)

Defenders: Leighton Baines (Everton), Phil Jagielka (Everton), Joleon Lescott (Everton), Ashley Cole (Chelsea), John Terry (Chelsea), Rio Ferdinand (Manchester United), Glen Johnson (Portsmouth), Matthew Upson (West Ham United), Ledley King (Tottenham Hotspur).

Midfielders: Gareth Barry (Aston Villa), Michael Carrick (Manchester United), Frank Lampard (Chelsea), Stewart Downing (Middlesbrough), David Beckham (AC Milan), Shaun Wright-Phillips (Manchester City), Aaron Lennon (Tottenham Hotspur), Steven Gerrad (Liverpool).

Forwards: Carlton Cole (West Ham United), Peter Crouch (Portsmouth), Emile Heskey (Aston Villa), Wayne Rooney (Manchester United).

BBC SPORT | Football | Internationals | Capello awards King shock call-up

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Well done foster. Happy for him....

The squad doesnt look the best if Im being honest. Midfield is strong as is defence but the strikers??
its not world class.

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
England are seriously lacking a striker at the moment. Maybe a legendary striker is about to pop out from somewhere and solve the problem? :D

Maybe even Rooney & Welbeck is a future England partnership? Could happen!

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
thats one of the weakest england squad i've seen for a long long time... its hard to believe we only have 4 representatives... it is v poor guys... you are v dependent on a couple of players, cant believe how poor your strike force (except rooney obv) is sooo second rate... i fancy rooney and gerrard to line up up front....... could finally end the gerrard lampard nonsense in midfield!

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
David James is the best England keeper at the moment IMO, that is a pretty poor England side, England are short on strikers, Carlton Cole is a decent player but not all England standard.

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
Think I'd go for something like:

-----------------------James

Johnson-----Ferdinand--------Terry------Cole

Lennon-------Gerrard--------Carrick-----Barry

--------------Rooney--------Crouch

Doesn't look too bad at all really apart from maybe Crouch.

·
United's masseuse
6,296 Posts
We`ll do without the others but not with the following;
Rooney, Gerrard and Beckham. And i`m afraid that altho Wright Philips might not be that essential, he has become one of the consistent players, who always gives his 100% whatever the day.
It's a pity Joe Cole is injured, one of my favourite players with the national team - Loyal to the team and always performs a top class performance unlike some.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Think I'd go for something like:

-----------------------James

Johnson-----Ferdinand--------Terry------Cole

Lennon-------Gerrard--------Carrick-----Barry

--------------Rooney--------Crouch

Doesn't look too bad at all really apart from maybe Crouch.
It's nothing on what the likes of Spain have... James, Johnson, Lennon, Barry, Crouch... all second rate and playing for second rate clubs! none of them would get in a top 4 1st 11... altho I'm sure Benitez has/would sign half of them and make them even more useless!

I fancy Gerrard and Rooney to line up up front...

·
Banned
9,511 Posts
It's nothing on what the likes of Spain have... James, Johnson, Lennon, Barry, Crouch... all second rate and playing for second rate clubs! none of them would get in a top 4 1st 11... altho I'm sure Benitez has/would sign half of them and make them even more useless!

Since when do you need to play for a top four side to play for England :rolleyes:

·
There is no Noxiousd, only ZUUL
16,031 Posts

Johnson > O'shea
Lennon > Nani
Barry > Fletcher
James > Kuszchak
Crouch > Manucho

Not only would all get into a top 4 team, they'd get into OUR team...

·
Banned
11,551 Posts
Foster reveals England dream

Ben Foster is determined to become the first-choice keeper for both club and country next season.

The 25-year-old has been included in Fabio Capello's latest England squad and will be hoping to add to the one cap he already has to his name.

He admits to being surprised at having received a call after enduring another frustrating year at Manchester United.

He has once again been forced to fill back-up duties at Old Trafford this term, with Sir Alex Ferguson continuing to favour veteran shot-stopper Edwin van der Sar.

Ousting the Dutchman remains a short-term target for Foster, while he is also hoping that a regular run in the United side will help to improve his chances of boarding a plane to South Africa for the 2010 World Cup.

"The biggest club in the world against the biggest competition in the world, that is the dilemma," he said.
Ambition

"Playing for England is a hugely important thing but I am also at the biggest club in the world. I will only get one chance at that and I don't want to give it up.

"I have to come back next season and get into the manager's face as much as I can. I want to be playing and I want to get into the World Cup squad next season."

With the England goalkeeper's jersey very much up for grabs at the moment, Foster knows he will never get a better opportunity to stake a claim.

He admits being at Manchester United should help his cause, but does not believe he will automatically be given the role just because he plays for a successful side.

"Playing for United does not guarantee you anything but it would certainly make it easier," he said.

"I am up for the job but it is proving tough enough to get into the United squad at the moment."

Sky Sports | Football | Premier League | News | Foster reveals England dream

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
This squad doesn't really look that great, tbh.

James
Johnson, Ferdinand, Terry, Cole
Lampard, Barry, Gerrard
Lennon, Heskey, Rooney

That's the team I see starting, either in a 4-5-1 or 4-3-3. Basically Lennon takes Walcott's place.

This team is begging for Owen though.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts