Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1


Man United's injury-prone 'keeper is fed up with playing second-fiddle to the Jolly Green Giant, and could leave the club this winter...

According to the News of the World, that most reliable of rumour mills, Ben Foster is ready to leave Manchester United in search of first-team football.

The 25-year-old has found opportunities scarce since arriving at Old Trafford from Stoke City in 2005, due in no small part to Dutch veteran Edwin van der Sar's inimitable presence between the sticks.

It was thought that Foster would succeed the former Fulham and Juventus goalkeeper during the 2007-08 campaign, following his impressive stint at Watford, but a pre-season knee injury put an end to that notion.

The once-capped England custodian now finds himself battling with Poland's Tomas Kuszczak for the No. 2 spot, and he is reportedly ready to request a winter transfer now that Van der Sar has penned a new deal.

Foster will have few problems finding a new home, as Tottenham Hotspur, Middlesbrough and Aston Villa are all thought to be interested the highly rated shot-stopper who is rated at around £4 million.

It remains to be seen whether Sir Alex Ferguson will sanction a move, but a loan deal at the very least looks likely.

Mike Maguire, Goal.com
 

·
hates City
Joined
·
2,913 Posts
If he wants to leave fergie shouldn't stand on his way. If he isn't in SAF's first team plans for next year and obviously he isn't than he should seek a place when he can play regulary
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
9,511 Posts
Can't believe people are believing this.

Before reading the article, I read the source. Then didn't read it.

goal.com. Embarrassing, small time and is a pile of *****.

Yet some of you treat it as the Bible.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
42 Posts
Let's just pretend for a second this is true. TBH I say good luck and goodbye. There's something about Foster's attitude and arrogance that really puts me off the guy. Pretty good keeper but nowhere near the finished article. If he was he'd be pushing for a place this season already...
 
Z

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Stephen said:
Can't believe people are believing this.

Before reading the article, I read the source. Then didn't read it.

goal.com. Embarrassing, small time and is a pile of *****.

Yet some of you treat it as the Bible.
Come on Ste, I think we all know that if it's on the internet it must be true.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,303 Posts
you can't blame foster if he does want to leave , in most peoples opinion he is the most talented keeper currently at utd , vds is way past his best but is playing well over the last few games but foster is definatly more agile.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
you lot haven't got a clue. van der saar is currently in the top 4 keepers in the league, he never spills the ball, his technique is fantastic. foster is a young lad with class oozing out of every pore, ferguson should resist any move for the lad. it has been mufc's downfall and fergusons worst achievement his inability to replace the great dane. a catalogue of disasters, the future is bright for the rear guard. every team needs a last line of defence and the big mouse is just that, his predecessors were not that, and foster can offer that.
 

·
The Mexican Boy George
Joined
·
7,601 Posts
I dont rate goal.com at all, but It could have a point, I mean if vds signed a new deal surely means fergie is still not quite sold on pig and ben.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
9,511 Posts
migueldadon said:
I dont rate goal.com at all, but It could have a point, I mean if vds signed a new deal surely means fergie is still not quite sold on pig and ben.
Or he just wants to filter Foster in.

VDS still a world class stopper. Why retire now?!
 

·
TROLOLOLOL
Joined
·
4,077 Posts
4-4-2 Please said:
you lot haven't got a clue. van der saar is currently in the top 4 keepers in the league, he never spills the ball, his technique is fantastic. foster is a young lad with class oozing out of every pore, ferguson should resist any move for the lad. it has been mufc's downfall and fergusons worst achievement his inability to replace the great dane. a catalogue of disasters, the future is bright for the rear guard. every team needs a last line of defence and the big mouse is just that, his predecessors were not that, and foster can offer that.
.................:rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,303 Posts
4-4-2 Please said:
you lot haven't got a clue. van der saar is currently in the top 4 keepers in the league, he never spills the ball, his technique is fantastic. foster is a young lad with class oozing out of every pore, ferguson should resist any move for the lad. it has been mufc's downfall and fergusons worst achievement his inability to replace the great dane. a catalogue of disasters, the future is bright for the rear guard. every team needs a last line of defence and the big mouse is just that, his predecessors were not that, and foster can offer that.

vds has done alright for 3 or 4 games now but most of the shots have been at a good height for him , its when he has got to get down quick or dive at players feet that he seems to make huge clangers and he will be making some shortly !keep watching him and you might just notice his slow reflex's.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
366 Posts
4-4-2 Please said:
you lot haven't got a clue. van der saar is currently in the top 4 keepers in the league, he never spills the ball, his technique is fantastic. foster is a young lad with class oozing out of every pore, ferguson should resist any move for the lad. it has been mufc's downfall and fergusons worst achievement his inability to replace the great dane. a catalogue of disasters, the future is bright for the rear guard. every team needs a last line of defence and the big mouse is just that, his predecessors were not that, and foster can offer that.
great first post there mate . did you just finish reading " how to win friends and influence people" .
just for the record , fergie tried to sign VDS from Juve in the summer of 99 but he would not come to united at that stage of his career .
but i have always said opinions are like bum holes , we all have one .:D
 

·
TROLOLOLOL
Joined
·
4,077 Posts
dublin red said:
great first post there mate . did you just finish reading " how to win friends and influence people" .
just for the record , fergie tried to sign VDS from Juve in the summer of 99 but he would not come to united at that stage of his career .
but i have always said opinions are like bum holes , we all have one .:D
They are all full of S*** though:p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,740 Posts
This isn't true I refuse to belive in but come on they make this crap up day in day out, they exaggerate everything. Foster will not leave and if he does I will be soooo disappointed every fan can see he is a top quality keeper and when his chance does come along if he takes it he will be United No.1 :D
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
15,336 Posts
sweet fa said:
vds has done alright for 3 or 4 games now but most of the shots have been at a good height for him , its when he has got to get down quick or dive at players feet that he seems to make huge clangers and he will be making some shortly !keep watching him and you might just notice his slow reflex's.
Also the fact he likes to punch the ball straight back into the danger area, and the fact that he doesn't look convincing coming for crosses. And when a cross comes in and he reaches it, punching it away poorly, sometimes even when he should be catching it.

And then theres the times when he starts to come for a cross, then after about 5 or 6 paces retreats back to his goal-line.

He's played well the last 3 or so games but there's still big question marks over him and imo we should be looking to replace him now, hopefully by getting Foster enough games to get his sharpness back and make him No 1 when he does.


However, back to the article, if it does turn out to be true and he is to be sold, I think we should wait until the summer and sign Frey.
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top