Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rafa in new Kop rant | The Sun |Sport|Football

RAFA BENITEZ last night demanded the nation’s respect and roared: You lot don’t appreciate us enough!

The Liverpool boss, famed for recent rants, believes his achievements have not been recognised.

Benitez, whose side face Real Madrid tonight, said: “I don’t think the messages about our performance have been as positive as they could have been.

"But when you look at what we have done in reaching two finals and a semi, it means a lot of credit for the players, a lot of memories for the club and a lot of money too.

“We’ve generated money that can be spent on players and that has allowed us to progress every season in my time here.

“I know we could do better and also that we

still have some improvement to make in the league but perhaps we deserve some credit for our success in Europe.”

Steven Gerrard and Co hold a 1-0 first-leg lead over Real.

Benitez added: “We’re very proud of being the best club in Europe over the past five years.

“In the league you need more consistency for nine months. We know we have the quality to compete in Europe, to beat anyone, but maybe not the depth for the league.”

Daily Star: Simply The Best 7 Days A Week :: Football :: We’ll rock Real-then halt United

RAFAEL BENITEZ has vowed to beat Real Madrid AND Manchester United as his side face the biggest five days of their season.

Liverpool entertain Real tonight knowing anything but defeat will book a place in the quarter-finals of the Champions League.

And they then travel to Old Trafford on Saturday for a clash with United in which only a victory would be enough to keep their Premier League hopes alive.

But Benitez insists his team will triumph in both games – and says he still thinks Liverpool can complete the domestic and European double this season.

Benitez said: “At this stage of the season I would not be happy with just the Champions League, I want both. This game, this week is so important for the club, me, fans and players.

“If we beat Real we will be in a good position in the Champions League but, more importantly, in a positive and confident mood to go to Old Trafford to play United on Saturday.

“If we beat United we will still be in the title race. I don’t have a priority. I want to win both and believe we can.

“It is important for us to win a trophy and everyone can see how the team is improving. This year we are closer than ever in the league and in the Champions League.”

Spanish striker Fernando Torres will have a fitness test this morning on his damaged ankle, and Benitez added: “He did some light training on Sunday and today and we will see how he feels. We must decide whether to play him from the start or keep him on the bench.

“It will not only be down to him. The medical staff will help make the decision.”

Torres has missed the two matches since Liver-pool’s 1-0 win in the first leg and is vital to Benitez if he is to win both trophies.

Former Spurs manager Juande Ramos, who has three and a half months left on his contract, said: “I am confident and relaxed about the future.

“If we stay in or go out it will not mean a decision on my job until June. It is a shame one of these Euro-pean giants must go out.”

Madrid have gone out at this stage for the last three seasons. Ramos added: “It is tough, and the secret will be the players’ belief.”

Rafa has lost the plot. I hope he signs a new contract and stays for a while, he is a joke:rofl:

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
their record in europe under his command has been quite amazin i will say that much.

BUT, i personally think hes come out with this statement to try and shift focus on their capitulation in the PL since the'fachts' rant

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
Moved to Football Banter ;)

Benitez is half right. They will beat Real Madrid but they won't beat United.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts