Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
RAFA BENITEZ has gone to war with Alex Ferguson, blasting: You paid too much for Dimi Berbatov.

The Liverpool boss hit back after Fergie claimed £20million Kop striker Robbie Keane was overpriced.

Berba cost Manchester United £30.75m. Benitez said: “Alex should think about how much they spend every year.

"Maybe he feels Berbatov was cheap because they pay £30m for a lot of players and £20m for the majority of them.

“In our last game against them they had Owen Hargreaves, Carlos Tevez and Nani on the bench — that's £70m.

“But if I leave Fernando Torres or Keane on the bench, people are asking questions.

“If they leave those three on the bench you don't hear anyone saying anything.â€

Fergie's comments have clearly got under Benitez's skin — especially as Keane and Berbatov BOTH hit 23 goals as White Hart Lane team-mates last term, yet he got his man for two thirds of the price United paid.

Bulgarian Berbatov, 27, is due to make his United debut in today's crunch clash at Anfield.

And Spaniard Benitez added: “If you talk of the price of players we can't match United because their strikers cost £60m and ours cost £40m.

“He spends £30m each on three or four players every two or three years. And anyway, our strikers are really good.

“Yes, I was a bit surprised to hear him talking of Keane's price but maybe that will be the added motivation for Robbie.

“We're only talking about it because they were talking about us.

“If Keane scores goals and does really well for us then the price doesn't matter.

“And if you talk of what we've brought in, it's been big money over the last year or so. Analyse the last five, six, maybe 10 years and look at the value of our squad now.â€

Since Benitez took over at Liverpool in June 2004, he has spent £188m on 26 players.

During the same period, Fergie has spent £177.5m on 14 players. -TheSun

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
I would rather pay 30mil for berbatov than 20mil for keane and rather spend 13mil on Nani than 7mill on Riera!
Fergie bought less players, but better quality and the scousers will say "he had to rebuild a whole team", but a lot of those purchases were flops and/or only last a couple of seasons, Rafa has only he's inability to buy quality players to blame.

Torres, Agger and Skrtel were his exceptions. Alonso would be a sub behind Anderson in our squad.

Z

·
0 Posts
blondedevil said:
Rooney??? What a waste of a player he has become. Prefer berbatov to play to be honest
He's not played well recently but he was amazing For England on Wednesday.

He's certainly not a 'waste' :rolleyes:

·
Registered
601 Posts
put it this way, fergy has made more right decisions than any other manager even rafa in the last 2 seasons, especially last season because we won and what did any other team do last season, they won nothing.

·
Registered
601 Posts
i agree berbas transfer for 30 mil is to much, but verons transfer was 28 million and he was not worth that much by his performances but no one said anything. I think because we have so many great players in our team the price for berba isnt much of an issue, but for rafa he has few great players thats the issue. And robbie keane aint all that.

lol If he scores the winner i will eat my words. But this game is important for us and man utd and even liverpool, but to tell you the truth i dont really care about winning or losing, i hope utd win but i want to see some good football, football isnt a matter of life and death.

·
Proto-Hipster
46,959 Posts
Torres 30 m
Rooney 30 m

:rolleyes:

Berbatov 30 m

Berbatov is the most overpriced signing of this summer after Robinho imo

Z

·
0 Posts
blondedevil said:
Thanks Blade! Dunno if it has worked or not.
You're welcome, and yes it has worked ;)

If you need any other help just PM me or another mod.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
abojodeh said:
Torres 30 m
Rooney 30 m

:rolleyes:

Berbatov 30 m

Berbatov is the most overpriced signing of this summer after Robinho imo

Torres reported price tag was 27mil, but Rafa insisted it was "lower than the figures in the press", but the he would say that wouldn't he ? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
trikam patel said:
i agree berbas transfer for 30 mil is to much, but verons transfer was 28 million and he was not worth that much by his performances but no one said anything. I think because we have so many great players in our team the price for berba isnt much of an issue, but for rafa he has few great players thats the issue. And robbie keane aint all that.

lol If he scores the winner i will eat my words. But this game is important for us and man utd and even liverpool, but to tell you the truth i dont really care about winning or losing, i hope utd win but i want to see some good football, football isnt a matter of life and death.

Actually ... (i might get stick for this) Veron wasn't THAT bad at United, but I think he didn't live up to the price tag. He found it difficult to adapt after playing in the pace of the italian league. Berba has already proven himself over two years, so I think is a more sound investment.

The price tag is too much though you;re right.

I'm hoping for a good match though and a win. There are some Liverpool muppets in my office and losing would just make it unbareable on Monday.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts