Discussion Starter #1
We had the Lahm vs Richards debate....
now its time for the strikers.
If you could sign one of Berbatov and Benzema this summer
who would it be and why?

·
Banned
1,238 Posts
the berb all the time for me he is already a genuis but if he was at united with rooney , ronaldo , teves , nani , anderson and the rest he would be a god . Some players are given special talent , brazils pele, ronaldo and romario would score goals against anyone . Zidane , ronaldinho and maradona would twist anyone inside out , beckenbaure , moore , maldini would stop any player but for me berbatov can do things like cantona whilst walking like the ball is covered in glue imagine ronaldo serving berbatov and berbatov serving him its a dream combination cantona played with special players if berb come to united he will be playing with players from another planet im so happy to be a real manchester red to witness this team we are so lucky bring on the berb and well rule europe for years roll on lyon

·
Banned
9,926 Posts
For me, its Berbatov. (Ber-ba-tov, not Berba-t-ov, lol:D)

Quite simple actually. Benzema looks like he could be a real player, but he's
already stated his desire to play in Spain, in other words, Barcelona or Real
Madrid. Berbatov has apparently stated he would like to play for United, he's
used to the English game and he's a hit-man. Benzema is too much like Rooney
and Tevez, just bigger. Rooney and Tevez can work together, but not all of those
three. Too alike.

For me, it's Berba, hands down.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Keano! said:
For me, its Berbatov. (Ber-ba-tov, not Berba-t-ov, lol:D)

Quite simple actually. Benzema looks like he could be a real player, but he's
already stated his desire to play in Spain, in other words, Barcelona or Real
Madrid. Berbatov has apparently stated he would like to play for United, he's
used to the English game and he's a hit-man. Benzema is too much like Rooney
and Tevez, just bigger. Rooney and Tevez can work together, but not all of those
three. Too alike.

For me, it's Berba, hands down.
spot on, same 4 me 2. Benzema would be better and if COULD get him, then great. But he dont want to come so lets not force him. Also Berbi has proven he has what it takes to be in the prem but benzema finds the french league easier

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Benzema
as he is younger and more pacey which makes me think he would fit in easier
but i dont think we will get any of them :(

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
i think it would be benzema all the way......although getting berbatov for 30 mill pounds is more likely :eek: ..............

·
23,699 Posts
man.utd.singh said:
spot on, same 4 me 2. Benzema would be better and if COULD get him, then great. But he dont want to come so lets not force him. Also Berbi has proven he has what it takes to be in the prem but benzema finds the french league easier
Cute.:D

For me, it would be Benzema IF possible; if not, yeah, "let's not force him". Lol. He reminds me of a young Henry at the stage when he was just being switched from a winger to the role of a striker in chief. Full of potential, equally elusive, fleet-footed, skillful, explosive and deadly. And young. A good investment for the future because he probably will get even better as he is yet to peak. [How to fit him in would remain the unsolved mystery even if we can get hold of him, as some of us raised in an earlier thread. But guess that is not the issue here in this thread.]

I find Berbatov a poacher and proven goal scorer but lazy, not as strong-willed-to-win like Rooney and Tevez who would chase after lost causes relentlessly, at times clumsy and nowhere the catalyst-type of players like Cantona as touted by some. And he is actually coming 30 so we could have seen the best of him. I would rather keep Saha then (can't call him Sara anymore, now that he is fit and playing again, and don't wanna be a wet blanket after waiting so long for that too). IMO only; Berbatov fans, don't need to fly eggs at me.;)

A key contention is the price we will be paying for them, assuming both are indeed available. I don't see much difference in the price we will have to pay at the end of the day, probably both at least 30m. So even if granted all else being equal, I would still rather pick a much younger player with much more potential to fulfill.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Benzema, no question about it. He's young, fast and his potential is huge, he will only get better and better.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Voted for Dimitar Berbatov and here's why.....

Whenever I tune in to the occasional Olympique Lyonnais match every now and again and from what I've seen, the boy is very impressive, however, I would have to see a lot more to justify the price that is being touted.
On the other hand, Berba's clincally proven in the Premiership. Not only can he score loads of goals, he possessed a great ability to create goals out of simply nothin' IMHO! He will offer United something which we don't hve in our first-choice strike partnership between Carlos Tevez & Wayne Rooney, that is potent finishing ability, something which we sorely lack since the departure of a certain RVN to Real Madrid. He can be used as a prolific taget man up-front to knock down balls for Wazza to fire powerful thunderbolts straight @ goal, something which he specializes in. Also, Berba comes in at a more affordable price tag, so I will defintely choose him.........
I voted for Benzema accidentally in the poll I swear! :eek: Can I change my vote pls? :eek:

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
An excellent question Jazz and one that I am struggling to answer!

I'm a fan of Berbatov. I think he's a terrific player. He's got excellent technical ability, can hold up the ball well, has good vision and passing, scores a fair number of goals and is used to the Premiership.

However, Benzema is a very exciting young talent. He's full of confidence (he recently said he thinks he has the ability to become the best player in the World) and we saw that he's capable of a moment of magic that can change the game when he played against us. He seems very ambitious though and has openly said he would prefer to play in Spain or Italy so I don't think we'd hold on to him for more than a few years.

Berba is the finished article and would probably see out his career with United. Benzema would add to the exciting young group of players we have at United and could be persuaded to stick around once he's seen just how good a team we are building here.

I would be thrilled if either joined the club. I refuse to get off the fence on this one!

·
Pz
2,062 Posts
benzema, berbatov definately provides something different to all the other strikers we have but benzema is also someone who bases his game on the old ronaldo and can play as a true sole striker and is tall, young, fast and because of that he would not expect to start every single game. I dont think he wants to come though, he seems to want to go to spain, learn more about tactics and develop his game there and truthfully fair play to the guy, wherever he ends up. I really have no idea what we plan to do this summer in the transfer market!

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
akash_reds said:
well.....this is one sided!!!! :rolleyes:
Well thanks for your quality input :rolleyes:
The beauty of football is that its all about opinions.
I voted for Berbatov because he is better imo.
Benzema would probably be a better acquistion as
he is younger and could develop much more.

Most people went for Benzema because he has been
linked with us and he scored against us.
Imo thats not a good reason. Having seen the both
play dozens of times I believe Berba is the better
player at this point in time, but as I said its all about
opinions ;)

·
23,699 Posts
Jazz 16 said:
Well thanks for your quality input :rolleyes:
The beauty of football is that its all about opinions.
I voted for Berbatov because he is better imo.
Benzema would probably be a better acquistion as
he is younger and could develop much more.

Most people went for Benzema because he has been
linked with us and he scored against us.
Imo thats not a good reason. Having seen the both
play dozens of times I believe Berba is the better
player at this point in time, but as I said its all about
opinions
;)
Well said, Jazz. There is NO right or wrong for opinions.

We should be bold to express our views but be humble to change ours too.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
this is a very difficult question but im going to go with benzema. for the pure fact of the age differance. i mean i know 27/28 isnt old but i hate it when people try to compare him to eric cantona, he is no where near the quality of cantona and neither is benzema. i just like the prospect of benzema being the new henry. cant see their will be much diff in the price for either. both quality players but with different attributes so i think age will be the main factor because both could do an equally good job up the top for us in different ways. because berba hasnt scored as many this season so far as he did last, but am always amazed by his controll. but benzema will score goals so you cant say he wont, i mean he didnt against us lol

1 - 20 of 54 Posts