Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Berba Not Up To 'United Standard'

The English press claims that Dimitar Berbatov will begin a rigorous fitness course when he links up with Manchester United during the week...

Berbatov is yet to join the United squad despite completing his £30.75million move from Tottenham Hotspur on the final day of the transfer window.

The silky striker has been away on international duty, starring in Bulgaria's entertaining 2-2 draw with Montenegro in last night's World Cup qualifier.

And according to News of the World, Berbatov will undergo a full physical examination when he arrives at Old Trafford before being placed on an extensive fitness program.

The 27-year-old has never been renowned for his work-rate on the pitch - indeed, Sir Alex Ferguson initially had doubts about signing him due to his somewhat laconic nature.

But an interrupted start to the season, brought about by his unceremonious exit from White Hart Lane, has left Berbatov some way below "United standard" on the physical front.

The former Bayer Leverkusen hitman will also have to cut out his casual smoking, a matter the Red Devils are particularly strict on.

Ferguson hopes to have Berbatov in peak condition for a potential debut in next weekend's derby clash against Liverpool.

(goal.com)​

·
Banned
9,511 Posts
Spurs fans I spoke to feel that Berbatov will get found out at United.

I hope not.
It could be a case of Tottenham was his level.

Time will tell.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
abojodeh said:
he smokes erm...:rolleyes:
Maybe now the drinking culture will end forever...and a smoking culture will begin.

THE KING IS DEAD...LONG LIVE THE KING!!!

Can you too see how we counter attack with Berbatov and Rooney running down the pitch with a ciggy in the mouth.

This is OT in spring.

·
23,699 Posts
Shall we reopen the Huntelaar thread? :p

Just in case some unsuspecting ones may think it is about football standards, it is actually fitness standards. Think goal.com 's article was too cute to omit the word "fitness" from the headline. Anyway, here is the article in its entirety from NOTW:

DIMITAR BERBATOV will be put on a crash fitness course when he finally joins up with Manchester United this week.

The £30.75million Bulgarian faces a full assessment of his physical condition.

He sailed through his medical to complete his move from Spurs but Old Trafford staff were concerned about his general conditioning.

A club insider said: “The coaches have been told to put him on an extensive fitness programme when he returns from international duty with Bulgaria to bring him up to ‘United standards'.

“We believe he has a natural fitness that allows him to get away with things most other players can't.

“But we think there's another 25-30 per cent to come once he's involved fully.

“Even Berbatov will be surprised at the extra levels of fitness he will be able to achieve with the United the training programme.â€

One area of Berbatov's lifestyle which might concern boss Alex Ferguson is his liking for the occasional cigarette.

There is a strict ‘no smoking' rule enforced at Carrington.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
he will have to work really hard to get into the team. there is no footballer in the world who is more hardworking than rooney and tevez.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
Tbh, the title of this thread is deceptive.

I opened it thinking it was going to be about Berbatov's ability, and not being up to United standard that way.

But anyway, hes obviously not going to be fully fit. After all, hes not played for Spurs this season. (Something else which highlights his attitude problem.) He will play, or has played for Bulgaria I think, so that will bring him up a tad.

Only games will improve his fitness. Perhaps the adrenaline of signing for United and the size of games they are will carry him through his first one or two games, and hopefully by then he'll be fully fit.

But about Stephens point, I'm actually a bit worried about Berbatov, and how he will play for us. I'm a bit worried that he may not be as good as people think, and he might get found out a bit play for us. Of course, the Spurs fans are probably just being bitter that he acted the way he did, and that he's left.

However, I'm not going to judge him yet, despite my personal opinion about him. Only time will tell whether hes going to be a good or bad signing for us.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
As Jay said, the thread title is totally deceptive :rolleyes:
Berbatov needs to get up to match fitness and he will be worked to the bone at OT.
No **** Sherlock, its retty obvious really. After reading the thread title I was
coming in here fully loaded and ready for battle......but nowt needs to be said. :rolleyes:

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts
By the time we play Liverpool he'll have played 2 full games for Bulgaria (while being a United player) so his fitness will be up then.

I highly doubt its "30%". Ramos was very 'fitness orientated' so I expect all there players are/were fit due to the training they did/do.

·
Banned
9,511 Posts
piazza said:
My god, Berbatov looks so cool when he's smoking.
Yes, let's hope all the children down Stretford and Eccles are all taking up smoking to look cool, because their new idol smokes.
Also all the many other children who look up to their footballing hero's as Gods and want to be like them.

Cool, eh?!

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
Stephen said:
Yes, let's hope all the children down Stretford and Eccles are all taking up smoking to look cool, because their new idol smokes.
Also all the many other children who look up to their footballing hero's as Gods and want to be like them.

Cool, eh?!
IMO, if you do anything because an athlete does you're a hopeless case anyway. The decisions you make shouldn't be based on what anything other than family does first. But hey, I'd be lying if I said sportsmen haven't influenced choices in my life. I always wear long sleeves (unless its like 90 degrees) just because Becks did. But would I ever smoke because one of my heroes did? No. And believe me they all do
  1. Wayne Rooney
  2. Dimitar Berbatov
  3. Eric Cantona
  4. Zinedine Zidane
  5. Patrick Swayze
  6. Russell Crowe
  7. William Jefferson Clinton
  8. Johnny Cash
  9. Brad Pitt
  10. Jim Morrison
  11. Kiefer Sutherland
  12. Chris Pontius

Just a few of my idols who've smoked/smoke. So have I smoked?

No.

Have I ever done drugs?

No.

I've socially drank for a long time, but that was a decision I and only I made. I do agree with you that its not a good influence on kids, but the parents are too blame if kids are looking towards footballers for guidance.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Fergie knows what he's doing,he tried to sign him before he went to Spurs,but was beaten to it,so this time he actually kidnapped him from the airport,:D imho its a massive coup for the club and i think Berbatov will open a whole different world of attacking options,hope he gets his first hatrick on saturday.....;) :cool:

·
Proto-Hipster
46,959 Posts
@ Pizza Boy

Rooney isn't a regular smoker :rolleyes:

and Cantona was a top athlete and he didn't smoke while he was player :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
berbatov is up to utds standard don't worry , he is easily better than our current strikers .rooney and tevez are very good players but neither can lead the line and watch the whole team improve now berbatov and manucho are on board.
and i honestly can't see what difference it makes if berbatov smokes,an awful lot of the worlds top sportsmen smoke.its the desire , training and self belief that make these people great and the odd fag can de-stress them .

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Stephen said:

Cool, eh?!
i don't know if you open your eyes ,but about 50% of over 15's are taking or smoking drugs or getting drunk these days mate and i am from a quieter area ,god knows what city estates are like .i don't think seeing some guy smoking the odd fag will corrupt these children ,todays society is x-rated mate get your nose out of this computer and go and have a look for yourself. {no offence intended but sadly its the truth }

1 - 20 of 41 Posts