Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Berbatov>Tevez
Joined
·
11,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Former Tottenham Hotspur boss Martin Jol has classified striker Dimitar Berbatov into the ‘gifted but not a fighter' category.

The Bulgarian international, who had been very successful last season following his summer-move from Bayer Leverkusen, has made more negative headlines this season and also reported to have played some part in the departure of Jol.

Berbatov was criticised for his attitude when he was left on the substitutes' bench at Newcastle United, following reports that he did not want to warm-up to come on as a substitute until more requests finally saw him trudging out.

Jol told the Daily Express: "At St James' Park (when Berbatov appeared reluctant to come on as a substitute), a lot had been made in the media about Berbatov's attitude, that he didn't want to come on because he was sulking at being on the bench.

"Normally Chris Hughton would tell the players to warm up, but not this time. However, he didn't seem that keen to do it.

"I turned my shoulder again and this time looked him in the eye and told him 'come on, warm up' and he began to warm up.

"He never said he didn't want to come on, but that's how it has been perceived. But that's Berbatov, he always seems reluctant to do anything.

"Gifted, yes. But he is not a fighter. Perhaps you need others who are fighters to balance out the team."

that kind of attitude won't go through at United. I never rated him that highly anyway. Sure, I posted a thread about him on official forum during his time at Bayer ( at least i thought he was still there,but it turned out that he'd signed with Tottenham already, snubing us and Arsenal), but I was always for "Martins option" if ever was one.
Don't get me wrong, he's a good player, but I dunno... I have a feeling he lacks that little something.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25,467 Posts
I have always admired Berbatov. He has so much quality its unreal. His lack of passion and fight is a bit alarming if he is someday to become a United player but Im sure Fergie would sort him out if needs be.
He is still top of my list of transfer targets. If we had him we would have a complete squad that would terrorise ANY team in the world....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,608 Posts
Berbatov would be a great striker if he had regular supplies from the wings. Spurs do not provide this - we do.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,423 Posts
CROoney from Dubrovnik said:
Former Tottenham Hotspur boss Martin Jol has classified striker Dimitar Berbatov into the ‘gifted but not a fighter’ category.

The Bulgarian international, who had been very successful last season following his summer-move from Bayer Leverkusen, has made more negative headlines this season and also reported to have played some part in the departure of Jol.

Berbatov was criticised for his attitude when he was left on the substitutes’ bench at Newcastle United, following reports that he did not want to warm-up to come on as a substitute until more requests finally saw him trudging out.

Jol told the Daily Express: "At St James' Park (when Berbatov appeared reluctant to come on as a substitute), a lot had been made in the media about Berbatov's attitude, that he didn't want to come on because he was sulking at being on the bench.

"Normally Chris Hughton would tell the players to warm up, but not this time. However, he didn't seem that keen to do it.

"I turned my shoulder again and this time looked him in the eye and told him 'come on, warm up' and he began to warm up.

"
Code:
He never said he didn't want to come on, but that's how it has been perceived. But that's Berbatov, he always seems reluctant to do anything.
"Gifted, yes. But he is not a fighter. Perhaps you need others who are fighters to balance out the team."

that kind of attitude won't go through at United. I never rated him that highly anyway. Sure, I posted a thread about him on official forum during his time at Bayer ( at least i thought he was still there,but it turned out that he'd signed with Tottenham already, snubing us and Arsenal), but I was always for "Martins option" if ever was one.
Don't get me wrong, he's a good player, but I dunno... I have a feeling he lacks that little something.
i think something as been lost in translation here berbatov as similar body language to rio ferdinand and he's been critesized million of times it's just the way they are

berbatov oozes pure class and he would strentghen any side in world football , martins or anelka are not fit to lace dimi's boots IMO
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,423 Posts
rydersonthestorm said:
I wouldn't want berbatov they would have to pay alot of money for him and i think there are betetr strikers about for 25 million plus.
name 3 better than berbatov who we could get

plus i don't think it woulds take 25 mil to prize him away from spurs
 

·
Berbatov>Tevez
Joined
·
11,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
andycole9 said:
i think something as been lost in translation here berbatov as similar body language to rio ferdinand and he's been critesized million of times it's just the way they are

berbatov oozes pure class and he would strentghen any side in world football , martins or anelka are not fit to lace dimi's boots IMO
how is that ? didn't martins outscore him in the EPL last season... Sure he scored some fine goals in the UEFA CUP, but Martins is on a different level imo
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,423 Posts
CROoney from Dubrovnik said:
how is that ? didn't martins outscore him in the EPL last season... Sure he scored some fine goals in the UEFA CUP, but Martins is on a different level imo
IMO berbatov is miles ahead in terms of ability, dimi is the complete all round package where as martins is not, martins can't even get into the newcastle team he couldn't get into the inter milan team... surely that speaks for itself

berbatov as better technieque
better link up play
better in the air
a better finisher
a better football brain
he creates and scores goals out of nothing


the only thing where berbatov comes up short against martins is pace IMO

rydersonthestorm said:
It cost us 18 million for carrick so i think it would cost more than 25 million, three strikers klose, villa, Ibrahmovic.
the only one i'm a fan of there is villa i think he's a great forward both inside and out side the box

klose was a decent target man but now he's past it,

ibrahmovic as fantastic ability but rarely shows it he's not a real team player and he's too selfish always trying to make himself look good before the team, one good game in ten is not good enough IMO
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,572 Posts
Martins isn't even as good as Mark Viduka. And I believe Berbatov to be better than both!

He hasn't hit much form this season, but he is incredbily skilful for such a big man. I would have him as my second transfer target behind Klaas-Jan Huntelaar.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
987 Posts
Nahhh...Martins is good its just that people dont see this this guy controlls his team by himself..he scores unbelivable goals...and can create a chance by himself outta nothing and finish it tremendously...So yeah...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
788 Posts
Hi father has said that his son wants to leave Tottenham, Maybe he could be going during the January transfer window. But i reckon that Juande will make it his priority to keep him at the club.
 

·
Berbatov>Tevez
Joined
·
11,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
andycole9 said:
IMO berbatov is miles ahead in terms of ability, dimi is the complete all round package where as martins is not, martins can't even get into the newcastle team he couldn't get into the inter milan team... surely that speaks for itself

berbatov as better technieque
better link up play
better in the air
a better finisher
a better football brain
he creates and scores goals out of nothing


the only thing where berbatov comes up short against martins is pace IMO
where did you get that from...according to that, Berbatov is better than Tevez


the only one i'm a fan of there is villa i think he's a great forward both inside and out side the box

klose was a decent target man but now he's past it,

ibrahmovic as fantastic ability but rarely shows it he's not a real team player and he's too selfish always trying to make himself look good before the team, one good game in ten is not good enough IMO
lol how is he past it ? he's scored like more than 10 goals so far...
but to be completely honest, I can't say much about Berbatov, I haven't really seen him play for Spurs.... I only know from what I read.. And he had a good season, but this one has been very poor fro him personally scoring only twice in 14 matches...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,423 Posts
Ajant said:
Martins isn't even as good as Mark Viduka. And I believe Berbatov to be better than both!

He hasn't hit much form this season, but he is incredbily skilful for such a big man. I would have him as my second transfer target behind Klaas-Jan Huntelaar.
i agree viduka is a class act and should of been playing champions league football i think the only thing that as let him down is his inconsistency

CROoney from Dubrovnik said:
lol how is he past it ? he's scored like more than 10 goals so far...
but to be completely honest, I can't say much about Berbatov, I haven't really seen him play for Spurs.... I only know from what I read.. And he had a good season, but this one has been very poor fro him personally scoring only twice in 14 matches...
yea i think he is
 

·
Smeghead Moderator
Joined
·
13,665 Posts
Berbatov was named in the PFA Premiership Team of the Year last season and rightly so. He was brilliant for Spurs - not just for the goals he scored but for the link up play and technical ability he displayed.

He hasn't really found any form this season yet but the same could be said of every Spurs player.
 

·
Berbatov>Tevez
Joined
·
11,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
reddwarf said:
Berbatov was named in the PFA Premiership Team of the Year last season and rightly so. He was brilliant for Spurs - not just for the goals he scored but for the link up play and technical ability he displayed.

He hasn't really found any form this season yet but the same could be said of every Spurs player.
by whom ? I've seen many combinations for the Team of the Season , but it seems I missed that one...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25,467 Posts
CROoney from Dubrovnik said:
by whom ? I've seen many combinations for the Team of the Season , but it seems I missed that one...
He was named in the official team of the season. he got this easily he was that good. After Drogba he was by far the best forward in the Premiership last season.....

lol just as I write this he scores for Spurs in the Uefa cup. Right on cue Dimi.
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Top