Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Utd 'show Berbatov interest'
Spurs striker's agent makes claim amid offer speculation
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_3811434,00.html

Dimitar Berbatov's agent is 'certain' Manchester United are interested in signing the Tottenham Hotspur striker.

Berbatov's future at White Hart Lane has been the subject of conjecture for some time, with the 27-year-old linked with a move away from North London for much of last season.

United have been strongly linked with Berbatov in the past; however a move in January failed to materialise.

Fresh reports in Saturday's press claimed that the Premier League and UEFA Champions League holders had offered £20million for the Bulgaria international.

Speaking of the rumours linking the Red Devils with a bid for Berbatov, the forward's agent has claimed United are monitoring his situation at Spurs.

"I know for certain Manchester United have shown interest in signing Dimitar Berbatov," agent Emil Danchev told Bulgaria's Darik radio. "But I'm not entitled to make any more comments."

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
bryn_keeno said:
utd throwing money away 20-25 for a lazy b. is he the best we can get...crouch is just as good and 10 mil cheaper

Peter Crouch is a good player and much better than most people give him credit for, but Berbatov is better. Quite a lot better in fact.

He has better touch, better vision and whenever he's played as a lone striker, it was almost always a masterclass performance.

Now take those performances and add man utd's midfield plus Rooney and Tevez to that...

I can't already hear the chanting from the terraces "Ooh, Ah, Dimitar..."

My worry with him is his attitude and a few sitters he missed last season, but Crouch is not as good and quite frankly I'd rather spend 24 on Berba than 10 on Crouch.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
versa said:
I certainly hope it is not true and am still disappointed that Fergie apparently ignored Huntelaar who gave more than a signal to get him.

I have two main misgivings about signing Berbatov:

1. He has poor attitude and mentally a suspect. Yet to hear Ramos persuading him to stay but only heard him giving his blessing to his exit. He is often labelled as lazy because you don't see him chasing for lost cause but only see him get disinterested or disappears when the chips are down. Yeah, sure he can bang in 4 goals in a match.... only when the team is on song. Being moody and sulking away are really secondary.

2. He is not what we really need. What we really need now is a typical goal poacher to get the business done consistently after Tevez, Rooney and company run their socks off to create the opportunities, especially now that our 42-goal hero "can't talk about my future". Not just someone who floats around classily to entertain with his technical gifts. Nice to watch but effective and ruthless? Scoring that odd goal when we are playing badly to seal the game? Sure he can score as a top striker should but that does not seem to be his main preoccupation, unlike Huntelaar.

Ok, in all fairness, either Fergie is confident he can bring out the cutting edge in Berbatov that would give us a different dimension in our offence or he is as confident to change his attitude.

And if Berbatov does put on the red jersey which is rumoured so strongly, I will try to be kinder and be more inclined.

- Absolutely agree. Huntelaar would be my number one choice, but I would be very hapy with Berba too.

The number 1 problem has to be his attitude. As you said, I haven't seen him chase a lost cause either, but he's probably asking himself why he should.

The problem is, he should be doing it for the jersey he wears, not just silverware.

Having said that, I think Fergie will get the best out of him and he is definitely more creative with the ball than the hunter.

Another factor is his age, which various members have been trying to play down here.

Huntelaar turns 25 in August and at a price tag of around 20million will give us 6 of his best years, which represents very good value to me.

Using 31 as the general age when strikers start to decline, Berba would be able to give us 3 1/2 years. at 24 to 28million pounds, that doesn't represent very good value in monetary terms.

However Berba has already proven himself in the prem, while Huntelaar would have to adapt and prove himself. We're all sure he could, but he still has to do it, hasn't he and Berba's already done it.

Berbatov's first touch is great, he's strong and able to hold up the ball and has great vision. He's really creative and able to create goals for himself and his team mates out of nothing.

He was the 5th highest scorer, as well as the 5th highest player in terms of assist and tormented us in both league games last season.

I'd prefer the Hunter, but believe you me, I'd be very pleased if Fergie bought Berba.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
28million pounds would be exaggerated for a player who will turn 28 in January.

He is a very good player and very capable with many great qualities, but I don't understand why Manchester United always decide to buy so late and pay such a heavy premium.

We could have gotten Ferdinand when he left the hammers for Leeds at 18million, but instead bought him for 29million only 19 months later. :rolleyes:

Beckham being sold for only 25million also still irks me.

He's the most recognizable footballer on the planet and we sold him for 25million pounds, which was paid in installments. ...... ridiculous.......

When he left Madrid on a free ramon Calderon revealed that they made 300 million Euros from David Bekham.

Ronaldinho's price tag is touted at 25.6million. He is a double footballer of the year.

Is 28 year old Dimitar Berbatov really worth more than Ronaldinho?

David Gill should not be held ransom by other clubs.

I would rather take a small risk on Huntelaar than pay 28million for Berbatov.

If Huntelaar and Berbatov were at the same price, I would understand the club going for a proves Premier League striker, even if he's older. But if the figure of 28 is really true it would not represent good value in my opinion.

Sure, he;s a good player, but the DEAL would not be a good deal.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Well.... it is the Sun .... but I think they've paid enough lawsuits to know not to misquote Fergie.

The headline actually reads :Fergie: Berba's mine" and actually quotes Fergie saying he made anb offer for Berba.

It's time to get excited then! :) :D

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Ooh Ah, Dimitar!

I'm trying to think of songs, but his name is proving a bit tricky ..... I think most songs will use berba instead of Dimitar or berbatov ..... all though you could rhyme that with **** off!

:D :) :D

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Liverfools paying 20mil for Robbie Keane has definitely driven up Berba's price, but rumours are that he's being a jerk in training.

But that doesn't necessarily fill me with confidence about his character.

Let's forget about him and go after the Hunter.

He's exactly what we need and i think Ajax would cream themselves, if we offered them around 18mil for a player, who is refusing to sign a new contract.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
A lot of good posts on this thread about the type of striker we need.

there are some things I'd like to point out.

I think most of us would be happy with either Berbatov or Huntelaar.

+ Huntelaar is more clinical in his finishing, but is unproven in the prem.
*Berbatov is a damn good player and has proven himself over the course of two seasons in the EPL, but has missed some great chances and even though all striker are human and miss from time to time, I haven't seen Huntelaar miss any gilt-edged chances

+ Huntelaar has been billed as being immobile and a typical centre forward, who would make us revert to the 'RVN' style of play.
Now firstly, it is highly debatable, if it was because of Ruud that we played the way we did and whether we will revert to that with Huntelaar in the squad.

I'm sure a player of Huntelaar's class can adapt and there are many ways of getting a ball to a striker, it doesn't mean with have to pump crosses into the box all day long. It just gives us the option to do so IN ADDITION to our current passing style.

BTW we put crosses into the box all the time now too. We just don't have someone at the end of them sometimes. Also, if you watch highlights from the Dutch league, you would see that Huntelaar gets about the pitch quite nicely too.

* Berbatov is very mobile and a master at playing either alone upfront or with a partner like Keane. I guess all of us are imagining Rooney + Berbatov, which probably would be a magnificent partnership on paper, but I'm worried about Berba's personality when the going gets tough. At Spurs, he hung his heads, pulled a sourpuss face and his movement slowed down to a stroll.

+ Huntelaar has a very optimistic + sunny disposition and while he takes his chances like any killer striker should, he also understands that it's about the team. With Ronaldo already in the squad, I'd rather Huntelaar's personality in the dressing room and on the pitch.

* Berba has a darker disposition and while he is highly-motivated and determined, his broody nature surfaces too often.

+Huntelaar turns 25 in August and would probably cost 18 million pounds.
*Berbatov is 28 in January and would cost 28million pounds.

Is it me or does it seem like a lot of money for a player who is 2 1/2 years older and only (arguably) slightly better?

I think we should be asking ourselves what type of striker we need versus who we think is a better player.

To me, we need someone with decent hight (taller than Rooney's 5'10") and who is clinical. Huntelaar has a goal per game ratio of 0.7 something. THAT's clinical.

And I don't want to hear anything about the Dutch Eredivise being a lesser league. Huntelaar's touch and finishing is going to be the same whether he plays in the Netherlands or Uzbekistan. (with Eto'o :) )

Finally, Dimitar Berbatov has fugly hair and we already have Carlos Tevez, as well as Anderson and i really don't think we need more bad hair.

I know that in all probability Dimitar Berbatov will be a Manchester United player by the time my plane touches down in Pittsburgh on Tuesday AND I WILL BE A VERY HAPPY MAN when it happens.

BUT I think Huntelaar is more what the team needs right now and I would be happier if Fergie were to buy the hunter.

p.s. I think it will be easier to write headlines and create songs for Klaas-Jan Hunterlaar than Dimitar Berbatov. :D

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
carlyluvsunited said:

All this talk about personality, sourpuss face and a darker disposition reminds me
of one thing only - Greatness !!!

Babe Ruth - Drunken, brawling womaniser who trained with a beer in one hand
and a cigar in the other, with 15 girls on the sidelines waiting for him, that's if he
turned up at all - But he is the best the world has ever seen !

Ilie Nastase - Crazy Romanian tennis player, he would get bored and use his feet
in a rally, he would train only 2 days in 5 ... he would explode in a torrent of rage
and abuse - but in 1973/1974 he was the worlds greatest, no one could beat
him !

George Best - Always drinking and womanising, off the rails for much of his career
but my goodness, possibly the best that ever lived !

John McEnroe, Jimmy Connors, Alex Higgins, Brian Clough ..... Absolute geniouses
in their fields - but each and every one of them, bonkers !!!

Eric Cantona - who in the name of God leaps into the crowd with a kung fu kick
and then explains it away with a story about sardines and trawlers !!!????
Moody, LMAO, he has permanent PMT !!!! But he's the best I have ever seen
there's no question about that !!!

Every one of those people I mention above should never have been any good at
anything they tried - they were all too moody or drunk or just didn't seem to
have the commitment !!

But put them in the right place, at the right time and with the right person in
charge ... and take a step back and watch ... WOW !!!!!

Well for Berbatov I think Old Trafford is the right place, now is the right time and
Fergie is the right guy .... It's Berbatov's turn for greatness !!!

First of all, it sure is nice to see one of your posts again.

Secondly - na na na... not so fast.....

The athletes you named, sure had their character flaws, but I can't remember McEnroe or Cantona getting less determined when things were going against them - they became even MORE determined.

The same cannot be said about Berba, BUT I know what you are getting at and, who knows, OT and Fergie might just be the right place for him and he will blossom at Man Utd.

Maybe being in the company of great players like Tevez, Rooney, Rio and slave will make him act differently.

Maybe Fergie will get the best out of him as a player and a person.

But what about when Fergie leaves? What about when he has a falling out with a team mate? What if the ref is beeing an idiot? What if he's not getting a new contract he wants?

Will he still be determined to show how good he is?

From the athletes you named, I have only seen McEnroe and Cantona, so I will say this - their genius came along with some very eccentric behaviour, but they always tried to show good they were. They didn't let their shoulders droop and cry.

The same can be said about geniuses from any discipline - music, acting, business, but what made Cantona different was that he made sure he scored that vital goal to show his genius. That was his way of giving all the opposed the finger.

He didn't pull a sour face like he was about to cry - that would have been beneath him.

Once again, Berbatov is a damn good player and I will be happy when he signs. I'm just saying his genius comes with baggage and that it his baggage ain't the same as that of Cantona. No way....

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
carlyluvsunited said:
All due respect to Wikipedia and your research .... but the quotes come from 2 Dutch
guys who are hardly going to criticise him, and a Swiss defender who doesn't know
how to stop him !!! The average Swiss defender doesn't know how to stop a bus to
be quite honest !!!

Dorin Goian of Romania owned him for a whole game in the Euro Qualifiers in Holland.
I don't even remember his name being mentioned ! Admittedly Goian is similar to
Vidic but much bigger, lol. That would slow most people down a bit. But even so,
Goian has little experience, he has never played outside Romania and has only 21
international games, but he made Huntelaar look positively plain !!!

Erm.... Huntelaar scored against Romania in Euro 2008.

One chance, one goal.

That's what Huntelaar is about. He didn't even play particularly well in that game, but he needs half a chance and it's in the net.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Get excited! Berbatov due to undergo medical at Carrington!

I know this is going to get merged, but I'm excited and I can feel it's gonna happen. I'd prefer someone else, but Berbatov would be a great addition!

This story has no sources ot quotes, but who cares?! :D

Dimitar Berbatov is expected to agree personal terms and seal his £25million move to Manchester United.

Sportsmail understands that the Bulgaria striker is due at United's Carrington training centre after finally being given permission by Tottenham Hotspur to talk to the Barclays Premier League and European champions.

The 27-year-old will be offered a four-year deal worth in the region of £80,000-a-week. United hope he will appear on their official pre-season team photo, scheduled to be taken on Friday.

If Berbatov agrees terms, his signing will end an 18-month pursuit by Sir Alex Ferguson, who will be on the verge of fielding his dream attacking line-up featuring Berbatov, Carlos Tevez, Wayne Rooney and Cristiano Ronaldo when the latter two regain health and fitness.

Ironically, the Premier League board are discussing Tottenham's allegations that United have behaved improperly in their pursuit of Berbatov. White Hart Lane chairman Daniel Levy believes United 'tapped up' their player and made a complaint to the Premier League in mid-July.

However, the League are not expected to find in Tottenham's favour - especially as the clubs have been negotiating for the last few weeks. As Sportsmail revealed last month, United's first offer of £20m for Berbatov was turned down with Spurs originally wanting £32m for the player.

But it is understood the clubs have now agreed on a fee of around £25m - money which Spurs will need to spend immediately on a replacement.

At United there will be jubilation if the deal goes through as Berbatov has been targeted to lead the line since impressing Ferguson in 2006-07.

With Louis Saha so often injured, United have not had a 'through the middle' striker since Ruud van Nistelrooy left.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
I have a big grin on my face.

63 replies in just over 12 hours. NICE!

I'll read them shortly. Amazing eh....guess we all have been yearning for a big summer signing.

Pretty amazing to think about Ronaldo, Rooney, Tevez, Berbatov..... plus Nani, Anderson, Carrick, Scholes, Hargreaves........

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Look, this shouldn't be a discussion about which player is better.

I'll tell you right now that Berbatov>Huntelaar, but Huntelaar is more of what we need.

Having said that, Berbatov is a great player and will generate 30 goals through scoring AND assists.

I'm excited and I hope it is announced within the next 24 hours.

BRING IT ON!

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Fret not!

We're almost there.

To keep up the anticipation watch another video....

Besides his finishing, pay attention to the headed goals, first touch, body strength...

Berbatov + Rooney + Tevez + Ronaldo + Scholes + Nani + Anderson = Severe major drooling.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Berbatov arrives with Spurs squad
http://www.teamtalk.com/football/story/0,16368,2483_3994356,00.html

Dimitar Berbatov has been included in Tottenham's squad to face Middlesbrough despite reports he is close to joining Manchester United.

The Bulgarian's whereabouts had been the subject of conjecture for most of the morning, with continued reports he was completing the finer details of a move to Old Trafford.

However, he disembarked the Spurs bus at Middlesbrough wearing a club tracksuit and with a baseball cap pulled tightly to his head, before sidling through the players' entrance.

United boss Sir Alex Ferguson added fuel to the fire with his remark during his Friday press conference there would be a "surprise" to come in the next 48 hours.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Ferguson cools Berbatov rumours
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/m/man_utd/7586497.stm

Dimitar Berbatov's hopes of a move to Manchester United look to be fading after Sir Alex Ferguson said he was "less optimistic" about new signings.

The United boss, who had a £20.5m bid for the striker rejected, was uncertain whether he would boost his squad before the transfer window shuts on Monday.

"I'm less optimistic so we'll carry on," Ferguson said.

"I've no idea what's going on. It's very hard to get communication with some people in life."

Berbatov has made no secret of his desire to leave White Hart Lane but Tottenham are determined that their £30m price-tag will be met.

United are unlikely to be pushed into paying over the odds and Ferguson may be prepared to miss out on Berbatov.

With just four days until the transfer deadline expires, Berbatov's future at Tottenham remains uncertain.

Spurs manager Juande Ramos left the 27-year-old out of his squad for Saturday's defeat by Sunderland, claiming the player was not focused enough.

After the game, first-team coach Gus Poyet admitted the club had no idea if Berbatov would still be a Spurs player come the end of the transfer window.

He added that the club was "going to try hard to get a couple of replacements" before the transfer window closes on 1 September.

Asked if that meant Berbatov was on his way out, Poyet shrugged and said: "What can I say? I think the best thing is to wait to 1 September.

"There is nothing to hide. We talked to him the other day and he was not in the right condition to play - I think you say in England, 'not in the right frame of mind'.

Berbatov's Dimitar Berbatov's agent Emil Danchev is believed to be in London to hold crisis talks with Tottenham.

It is understood that Danchev hopes to meet boss Juande Ramos and chairman Daniel Levy in a bid to thrash out the striker's future.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Fergie wanted the number 9 jersey free and would not want to be another striker light unless he already has a new striker in the bag.

I don't mind Berba or Huntelaar, we just need a fit, tall centre forward.

Saha's departure is regrettable, but a sure sign that we ARE in fact signing a new player.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.