Manchester United Talk banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

· Least popular Moderator
26,061 Posts
Another good point about Berbatov is that with his playing style he can go into in mid 30's without losing much. He doesn't rely on pace, instead he uses football intelligence just like Bergkamp, Sheringham etc.

I am more hyped about this season than any other. The trophies we can win, the records we can break, the football we'll play.... I just wish we could fast forward all this pre season.

26,061 Posts
versa said:
How uncanny. :eek:

With United now touring Africa, reports in the Mirror suggest new Barca manager Pep Guardiola has stuck the Bulgarian on a shortlist which includes United's Carlos Tevez, Chelsea target Robinho and Chelsea striker Didier Drogba.

I hope we tell them where to stick it...

26,061 Posts
abojodeh said:
in Ruud last season with psv (not season when he got injured) he scored 29 goal
and he was 24
Huntelaar scored this season 33 and he is 24
close numbers huh?
they both played in the 2nd league shined with heerinven etc...
the history of ruud carrer is repeating it self with hunterlaar :eek:
Yes but Ruud, before injuries took there toll, was a much better football player than Huntellaer, he could set them up, finish them off etc.

While yes Huntellaer was very similar to RVN in terms of his predetory instincts, RVN had so much more to his game than that.

26,061 Posts
piazza said:
I'd take a fox in the box, Ruud never played sexy football and show me a better goalscorer by the numbers that's ever played for United.
In his first couple of years RVN was a lot more than simply 'a fox in the box'. Huntellaer's style is more post-injury RVN.

26,061 Posts
versa said:
Highlighting the failures of Kezman and a few other unfortunate cases like Shevchenko to disprove Huntelaar is a bit rich and unfair. Think the number of successes must be still much higher than the number of failures for foreign imports. Torres, Henry, Essien, Cech.... Anderson, Vidic, Evra, Tevez... Stam, RVN, Ole.... Veira, Bergkamp,... Countless in the past and present.

And also.. Oh never mind, we are not Fergie. :)
While that is true you have to look at it the other way around aswell. Highlighting the success of RVN to prove Huntellear is brilliant is just as unfair as what you said.

Each case is different so just because 1 player makes it doesn't mean a similar player will.

26,061 Posts
Every morning when I turn on SSN I'm expecting to see the yellow bar saying "breaking news: Manchester United have signed 'x player'"

I think we'll get one in the next 3 days. Atleast I'm guessing we will.

26,061 Posts
Lol I'm just as excited for Jazz as I am for myself:p

But the guy is a genious. Think how good he has been for Spurs, then think about the factt hat instead of Jenas - there's scholes, instead of Lennone - theres Ronaldo, instead of Keane - theres Rooney, instead of Zokora, theres Carrick...you get the point:D

Good times ahead :D

26,061 Posts
abojodeh said:
berbatov 30 goal you are dreaming :rolleyes:
25 would be more than max for him
and if you watch his matches with spurs he missed allot of sitter
plus use logic
bebratov never been a top goalscorer
even in the bundeslega
23 goal overall was the maximum for him in the epl
and didnt wayne rooney score 23 two seasons ago
How many did Tevez score for West Ham? 7 goals or something, compare that to 19 while not being 100%

The same will happen to Berbatov.

26,061 Posts
abojodeh said:
you cant be so sure
tevez was 23 and full of potential when he joined us
while berbatov is 27 and going to be 28 after few months
But Berbatov has 5 years atleast where he'ss still be at the top of his game because he doesn't rely on pace i.e Henry, he is a more 'mental' player like Bergkamp, Sheringham ect.

The 1 worry I do have though is the Tevez - Berbatov partnership, mainly because of the lack of pace but then this pre season Tevez has looked a lot sharper than he did last season.

26,061 Posts
VaVaVoom said:
Good point Manc..... i was gonna say the same! Berba has many good years ahead and should be the same player he is now even 3/4 years time!
And when your on the partnership of Berba how do you think the formation will be when ronaldo is fit... Ronaldo, tevez, rooney, berba!! i do you think it will be rotation or does he have the balls to put them all in??

I've no idea who'll play the most. People will say 'we will rotate' but the players won't look at it like that. The players that play the big games are the ones who would be considered 'first choice', like Cole and Yorke were over Ole and Teddy.

I think the formation in the league will be this:

----------------------------ST--------------------------------

--CF-----------------------CF--------------------------CF--

----------------------CM---------CM--------------------------

I call them all 'CF' because they will interchange with each other.

We'll treat the 'big games' like we would CL games IMO, either with 3 in the middle or a 4-4-2 with Hargreaves playing.

26,061 Posts
abojodeh said:
2 seasons with tottenham and he scored the same number of goals
not much improvment on number of goals

and the points you said about Berbatov can be said about Santa Cruz ;)

i will be happy with signing Berbatov
but 25m
is too much and hes old
so why not we look for a younger striker or a better goalscorer

Santa Cruz and Berbatov are slighlty different though. Santa Cruz uses his intelligence to be in the right place at the right time, Berba uses his to make space for himself and others.

There are different kinds of 'mental' styles. Huntellaer(for e.g) uses his intelligence to get in goal scoring postions, whearas Berba uses his to help others and create space like I said before, not to mention his creativity in terms of passing, but they both use there brains instead of physical attributes (which Berbatov still has)

28M may be overpriced, but so was Carrick at 18M, yet with him we've won 2 leagues and the CL.

If we win the double/treble/w.e next season then he will have made up for it.

He is the missing link in the puzzle, if we have to pay over the odds then fine, aslong as it helps us to win more trophies.

26,061 Posts
abojodeh said:
the 2 points you said
"berbatov scored 23 with tottenham but with us he will score more"
and
"berbatov dont rely on his pace so he have 5 years to shine"
this two points work with santa cruz
he will definitely score more with us
pls his goal per game ratio is higher and blackburn mid is worse than tottanhams

so this means RSC is better for us and ccchhhhheeeeeeeeeaaaapppppeeeeerrrrrrrr ;) :)
But Berba will not slow down our attack, Santa Cruz would make us more 1 dimensional, plyus the fact that he just isn't as good a player as Berbatov (all round)

Plus Santa Cruz has a bad injury record, which knowing our record would mean a lifetime in the phisio room for him.

26,061 Posts
-zuco- said:
.......:rolleyes:

Great post Abo, I agree with most of that you said there. I still think we should
sign Berbatov, but anyone saying that Huntelaar is rubbish is either on very
strong medication or doesn't know much about football.

I can think of about 30 spectacular things that he did and they are all compiled
into a youtube video somewhere. He's the bicycle kick king :cool:

Fantastic player but he isn't right for United and would make us very one
dimensional in my opinion.
yeah thats pretty much my opinion aswell.

26,061 Posts
Drew9 said:
Crooney, you're one opinionated lad as everyone knows but some of your points just make me laugh.

People at OT, for example the people i go to watch United with compare him with Cantona because of his ability, his precense, and his ora on a football pitch, 'the moody magiction' nobody would dare compar Cantona's character or importance because in many ways Cantona put Man Utd back on the map in the 90's. The truth is the only player who has come close to Cantona in terms of influencing a game is Ronaldo, and he will never come close to Cantona as a legend because of his character and personality, saying Berba would be like signing a new Cantona was meant as a compliment to Dimitar Berbatov, not a disrespect to the KING ERIC CANTONA, i hope this clears things up.
Definately. Cantona was more than just a great player. He somewat represents the rebirth of United as far as getting us to the top. He led our team and left an impression on the Class of 92. Berbatov may be a very, very good player and his style may be similar to Eric's, but he will ever have the status or make the impact that Eric did. Atleast its HIGHLY unlikely anyway.

26,061 Posts
I found this posted on the Caf:
-----------------
Right, the latest i've heard off my MUTV contact is, something is definitely happening tonight, David Gill is at the ground right now with a chap called Michael Bolingbroke and Maurice Watkin, my 'friend' told me this is highly unusal at this time, Mr Watkin only normally comes in after office hours if something major is happening. They also said SAF had been at the ground this evening also but apparantly has now left, again unusual.

My MUTV buddy hasn't been put on standby though, (sometimes they are warned ahead of time if a big announcement is due).

That's all I know, should expect more at 2moro's Manager's Press Conference i'd think.

Cheers
----------------

FWIW Maurice Watkin is a high official at UTD,:

http://www.manutd.com/default.sps?pagegid={B4CEE8FA-9A47-47BC-B069-3F7A2F35DB70}&newsid=403268&page=1

Obviously Its likely to be a pile of crap but oh well.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.