Manchester United Talk banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
221 - 240 of 1906 Posts

·
Banned
292 Posts
Well Mr Levy has apparently told us that he will cost 38 million non-negotiable. The fact is Dimitar Berbatov is not worth 38 million, if we can get him for around 25 to 28 million than that is ok but anything above that is just too much. If Tottenham do not back down on there outrageous transfer demands than it is time to put this ridiculous saga behind us and look elsewhere, I think Huntelaar is the next best thing as he also ticks all the boxes. We have to accept that there is a very good chance that this will now not be happening. I have a feeling that Mr Levy has decided not too do business with us, if Barcelona offered 24 million tommorow I think he would sell immediately rather than do business with us.

·
23,699 Posts
http://www.manchesterunited.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=117795

Does Arshavin Hold The Key?

Today`s M.E.N (Manchester Evening News) reports that the likely transfer of Arshavin to Spurs will pave the way for United to make a £28 million approach for long-term target Dimitar Berbatov.

Now, though it`s not for me to discuss the transfer dealings of another club, I can't quite understand this recent obsession with the rose-cheeked Russian playmaker. I have read the stories of his troubled past, which never allowed him to fully achieve his true potential; however it doesn`t quite rub with me. How can a player who 'supposedly` performed so well in Euro 2008 be a virtual unknown for the previous 8 years? Some of you may be asking why I used the word 'supposedly`; but let`s remember he only played 3 games at Euro 2008, the third of which he was a complete obsolete. I mean, do two good performances in the Euro`s and a decent UEFA Cup campaign really merit the ludicrous sum of money Zenit are demanding? Surely the distinct lack of interest in the player should act as warning to Spurs to stay well away. But alas, I am diverging...

Indeed, the real point of this article was to discuss the possibility of Berbatov finally being able to join United. It has been long known that Sir Alex is a keen admirer of the 27-year old; and with the odd exception the possible signing of Berbatov is seen as a good thing amongst United fans.

I mean, £28 million is alot of money, but when you look at today`s market, a market in which Gareth Barry is valued at £18 million and Bentley at £15 million; we must surely look on this as a good piece of business. The likelihood is that Berbatov is our only target and thus his signing would be out only piece of business this year. No doubt this article will attract many a Spurs fan who will spout the same old crap about Levy`s dossier (how is that going by the way, chaps?) and the fact they will sell him for £2.50 and a packet of Cheese and Onion crisps to Barcelona just to spite us, but the reality is Spurs are a club in need of money. They have spend upwards of £65 million since Ramos came and though prising an impressive £20 million from Liverpool for Robbie Keane, they need money. Especially if the rumours we hear about David Villa and the like are true.

So, despite the fact all still remains in limbo, I think we can safely say that this will be sorted out sooner rather than later, one way or the other...no one really wants this dragging into the season.

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
How ever said huntelaar is better than berba is crazy.....
huntelaar is a fox in the box, berba plays sexy classy fooball,
he can score with his head, left. right and long range!
when berba is in the mood its great to watch, and with a team like utd he will defo be in the mood. Ronaldo, rooney, tevez, berba haha now thats WORRYING for any defence.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
VaVaVoom said:
Thank you. As official captain of the Berbatov camp on this forum, thats
what Ive been trying to tell people for ages:D

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts
piazza said:
I'd take a fox in the box, Ruud never played sexy football and show me a better goalscorer by the numbers that's ever played for United.
In his first couple of years RVN was a lot more than simply 'a fox in the box'. Huntellaer's style is more post-injury RVN.

·
Proto-Hipster
46,961 Posts
so he can score 30+ plus with us :rolleyes:
no way
even with wayne scholsy tevez nani support he would never score more than 25 in all comps
while the hunter can bang goals in huge numbers ;)
NOTE*
Scholes, Carrick, Ronaldo, Rooney and Tevez etc
the slave dont support and he dont assist he is just a greedy ***

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #236 ·
UNITED will finally land Dimitar Berbatov once Andrei Arshavin completes his expected move to Tottenham Hotspur.

Despite Spurs chairman Daniel Levy being infuriated by United's pursuit of the Bulgarian hitman, he is understood to have told Old Trafford officials that he will be willing to let him go for £28m.

Sir Alex Ferguson has made Berbatov his number one target this summer as he looks to add a new dimension to the attack of the Premier League and European champions.

Spurs are resigned to losing the want-away forward, despite reporting United to the Premier League over their attempts to lure him away from White HartLane.

But they have proved they won't let that acrimony get in the way of a deal after selling Robbie Keane to Liverpool, another club they have reported to the authorities.

The only thing holding up Berbatov's move has been Juande Ramos' desire to have a ready-made replacement in place before releasing his star asset.

Russia's Euro 2008 sensation Arshavin is that man, which should enable Ferguson to land the player he has tracked for the last 12 months.

Despite Spurs preferring to see Berbatov move to the continent, rather than a Premier League rival, there has still been no firm offer from Barcelona, who have been most strongly linked with the 27-year-old.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co...r_united/s/1060567_united_set_for_berba_swoop

·
23,699 Posts
VaVaVoom said:
he can score with his head, left. right and long range!
when berba is in the mood its great to watch, and with a team like utd he will defo be in the mood. Ronaldo, rooney, tevez, berba haha now thats WORRYING for any defence.
As the unofficial captain of the Huntelaar camp, think you are still missing the point.

It is NOT about who is better but who is more dire to us.

If we are indeed only going to sign just one player, we don't need another player to play "sexy classy football". No, we have enough players doing that and we are doing that already. We are not in the early 90s when we needed a Cantona to inspire a bunch of youngsters. Does one more such player really the most important thing we need now?! Are we playing boring football?! :confused:

On the contrary, I thought we are playing nice football already but should have scored more than we did.

Look at this again and think: Ronaldo's goals = 42 = Sum of Rooney's, Tevez's and Saha's.

A drop in performance by one or two notch from Ronaldo (unlikely to repeat 42 goals this season) would easily mean some vital points lost which would then really be dire, considering that we did not run away with the title but only won it into the final game.

As we all acknowledge, Rooney and Tevez are just supportive strikers and will never be the top-scorer type. So Berbatov will come in, float around, play sexy football and still be the chief striker for us?

I do think that a 'boring', static goal poacher may just be more vital to us now than yet another fanciful entertainer. For after floating around stylishly and all the beautiful moves, somebody has to put that away on a consistent and ruthless manner, never mind boring. Not that Berbatov can't score but that it is not his main preoccupation enough to ironically help us to break the unhealthy balance as in the equation above.

By the way, I am not even attempting to say Huntelaar is better than Berbatov. I am just saying Huntelaar is more important than Berbatov to plug the gap for us.

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
NoxiousD said:
Dennis Law?
Law: 237 goals in 398 appearances for a ratio of... .595
Ruud: 150 goals in 200 appearances for a ratio of ... .750

TheManc said:
In his first couple of years RVN was a lot more than simply 'a fox in the box'. Huntellaer's style is more post-injury RVN
I remember his goal vs Fulham. That was sexy football. But the bottom line is, in his whole United career, he only scored once from outside the box.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The way we play.

versa said:
As the unofficial captain of the Huntelaar camp, think you are still missing the point.

It is NOT about who is better but who is more dire to us.

If we are indeed only going to sign just one player, we don't need another player to play "sexy classy football". No, we have enough players doing that and we are doing that already. We are not in the early 90s when we needed a Cantona to inspire a bunch of youngsters. Does one more such player really the most important thing we need now?! Are we playing boring football?! :confused:

On the contrary, I thought we are playing nice football already but should have scored more than we did.

Look at this again and think: Ronaldo's goals = 42 = Sum of Rooney's, Tevez's and Saha's.

A drop in performance by one or two notch from Ronaldo (unlikely to repeat 42 goals this season) would easily mean some vital points lost which would then really be dire, considering that we did not run away with the title but only won it into the final game.

As we all acknowledge, Rooney and Tevez are just supportive strikers and will never be the top-scorer type. So Berbatov will come in, float around, play sexy football and still be the chief striker for us?

I do think that a 'boring', static goal poacher may just be more vital to us now than yet another fanciful entertainer. For after floating around stylishly and all the beautiful moves, somebody has to put that away on a consistent and ruthless manner, never mind boring. Not that Berbatov can't score but that it is not his main preoccupation enough to ironically help us to break the unhealthy balance as in the equation above.

By the way, I am not even attempting to say Huntelaar is better than Berbatov. I am just saying Huntelaar is more important than Berbatov to plug the gap for us.

Obvioulsy an excellent point and I agree with you in principle but we both should remember that the same was said when Tevez was brought in to support Rooney a year ago. Most of us thought it wouldn't work, that SAF was being blind to what we really needed (RVN, fox in the box type). In fact most of us wanted Huntelaar back then as well and SAF turned out to be dead on. Tevez and Rooney were amazing together and each looked fairly stiff when Saha got his few chances.

I think SAF's approach at this point is to forget about the traditional approach to scoring goals in the Premiership and instead follow the Brazilian mentality by filling your front lines with flair and genius. Pile Rooney, Tevez, Ronaldo, Berbatov, Anderson, Scholes, Giggs and Nani in there and let the sexy goals come. Spain (I actually don't consider Torres a traditional striker), Portugal and Croatia pulled it off with beauty at the tournament this year. How poor did Italy look dumping it in over and over again to Mr. Striker Luca Toni? Yuck.

I remember reading an interview with SAF last year when he stated that a certain fox-in-the-box striker (I can't remember whom exactly) would likely find it very difficult to play for him with the style they were moving to (the exception would be games against teams with a giant back four like Portsmouth and for those moments we have people like Saha and maybe Manucho (?)). I think the quote explains why he is pursuing Berbatov over someone like Huntelaar. I also think everyone has to remember RVN's glory days were largely due to a constant barrage of deadly accurate crosses and freekicks from possibly the greatest right half of all time. When Beckham left maybe so too did SAF's desire to play the RVN type game. I really believe we are better off for it. For that reason I think Berbatov is the right man.

221 - 240 of 1906 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.