Manchester United Talk banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
261 - 280 of 1906 Posts

·
23,699 Posts
sparkic said:
Well there is more justification for Berba than Huntelaar as one is proven in the EPL and one isn't. I guess the justification I have at the moment is:

"Kežman proceeded to score 81 goals over the following three seasons with PSV, whilst achieving the record of the first Dutch league player to score more league goals than games played in consecutive seasons, before finally moving for £5 million to English side Chelsea in the summer of 2004.

He failed to make an impact with the London club, after claiming that he could do better than Thierry Henry and Ruud van Nistelrooy in the Premiership, and only started 14 games for Chelsea, leaving for Atlético de Madrid after just one season."

Kezman scored 126 goals in 172 games so a comparision should be done imo. Yes I do believe that Huntelaar is way better than Kezman and I am also a fan of Huntelaar but you can never be 100% sure he will cut it in the EPL and hence the reason why I think Berba is perfect for us this very moment. I do not want to spend over 25m and still be wondering if he will cut it in the EPL so if we got to spend 25m and plus for either I would pick Berba but say if Huntelaar came for around 20m then I might reconsider but still my first choice would be Berba for 28m or what ever the price is we are willing to pay.
Highlighting the failures of Kezman and a few other unfortunate cases like Shevchenko to disprove Huntelaar is a bit rich and unfair. Think the number of successes must be still much higher than the number of failures for foreign imports. Torres, Henry, Essien, Cech.... Anderson, Vidic, Evra, Tevez... Stam, RVN, Ole.... Veira, Bergkamp,... Countless in the past and present.

And also.. Oh never mind, we are not Fergie. :)

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
versa said:
Highlighting the failures of Kezman and a few other unfortunate cases like Shevchenko to disprove Huntelaar is a bit rich and unfair. Think the number of successes must be still much higher than the number of failures for foreign imports. Torres, Henry, Essien, Cech.... Anderson, Vidic, Evra, Tevez... Stam, RVN, Ole.... Veira, Bergkamp,... Countless in the past and present.

totally agreed. we got our fair shares of flop too. kleberson, djemba, veron, taibi just to name a few. but at the end of the day, the one paying and choosing who manutd's new signing is will be fergie, not us.

but its good to hear everyone's view though :D

·
Banned
4,946 Posts
nigelchin said:
errr. dont quite agree. huntelaar is TALL! 1.86m. he's rather tall

did some research on huntelaar and look what i found ...............
All due respect to Wikipedia and your research .... but the quotes come from 2 Dutch
guys who are hardly going to criticise him, and a Swiss defender who doesn't know
how to stop him !!! The average Swiss defender doesn't know how to stop a bus to
be quite honest !!!

Dorin Goian of Romania owned him for a whole game in the Euro Qualifiers in Holland.
I don't even remember his name being mentioned ! Admittedly Goian is similar to
Vidic but much bigger, lol. That would slow most people down a bit. But even so,
Goian has little experience, he has never played outside Romania and has only 21
international games, but he made Huntelaar look positively plain !!!

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts
versa said:

While that is true you have to look at it the other way around aswell. Highlighting the success of RVN to prove Huntellear is brilliant is just as unfair as what you said.

Each case is different so just because 1 player makes it doesn't mean a similar player will.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
carlyluvsunited said:
Did he not score :confused:

Uh ?

He didn't score !!

Not in the qualifier ...

We beat them 1-0 in Bucuresti and it was 1-1 in Holland but he didn't get it no way.
Ah thought ya meant Euro 2008. Didnt Huntelaar score against you? or someone :confused:

·
23,699 Posts
TheManc said:
While that is true you have to look at it the other way around aswell. Highlighting the success of RVN to prove Huntellear is brilliant is just as unfair as what you said.

Each case is different so just because 1 player makes it doesn't mean a similar player will.
De facto indeed.

The bottomline thus remains that nobody knows for sure at the point of signing and nobody dares to guarantee. We can only use probabilities at point of decision anyway and that should rightly include Berbatov as well.

Setting each potential player's mind set, ability, adaptability, personal drive to excel and succeed etc which are qualitative factors and thus impossible to know or measure for now aside, a perhaps more reliable approach would still be what type of players is truly more important to us, given our existing mix of players and situation (Ronaldo scoring as much as our entire forward department). A Huntelaar type or Berbatov type (may not be them specifically just for evaluation of this factor)? Think my previous posts cover the relevance of each type to us already.

On second thought, maybe we should just wait and prepare to chip in with a song for the newcomer whoever he may be. For all we know, it may well be Finger-On-The-Lips Henry instead.

Oh no!!! Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh........................

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Some great posts from Carly and Versa...good to see our forum is quite intelligent and knowledgeable :)

Lets wait and see...I would be happy with both or even another striker who is class which we have not discussed above but my 1st choice would be Berba lol

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
carlyluvsunited said:
All due respect to Wikipedia and your research .... but the quotes come from 2 Dutch
guys who are hardly going to criticise him, and a Swiss defender who doesn't know
how to stop him !!! The average Swiss defender doesn't know how to stop a bus to
be quite honest !!!

Dorin Goian of Romania owned him for a whole game in the Euro Qualifiers in Holland.
I don't even remember his name being mentioned ! Admittedly Goian is similar to
Vidic but much bigger, lol. That would slow most people down a bit. But even so,
Goian has little experience, he has never played outside Romania and has only 21
international games, but he made Huntelaar look positively plain !!!

yes, i can understand your point of view. but in my opinion, every player can have their bad day. furthermore, huntelaar is like a raw gem, waiting to be polished. he has potential, but definitely, he is not going to fulfill it fully at ajax. what he needs is a top club in europe.

look at didier drogba. virtually unknown to many fans until he joined chelsea. and look how good he is.

look at adebayor, another virtual unknown until joining arsenal, and he has improved lots.

as versa said, it might be a gamble to take him. he might just turn out to be a mateja kezman, or a RVN. it just everyone opinions. :D

and heck. im suppose to be rooting for berbatov more LOL!

·
23,699 Posts
sparkic said:
^^^

lol I guess your like me mate! We like them both but prefer Berba a tad more
Truth is currently we are all in the dark over our only signing this summer while we debate here until we are red or blue in our faces. Lol.

No Berbatov's transfer update at all, no other fresh rumours on any other player, Not Slave's future with us still remains cloudy until probably next week, his final outcome will also most likely to affect the next signing(s), new season is starting soon....

Alright, alright.....

Berbatov will do. :rolleyes: :D

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Jol surprised Tottenham sold Keane to Liverpool
tribalfootball.com - August 02, 2008

Hamburg coach Martin Jol admits he was surprised by Tottenham's decision to sell Robbie Keane to Liverpool.

"I was very surprised," Jol said. "He was everything. He symbolised Spurs.
"He was the most influential player in the dressing room. He was probably the most consistent player with Ledley King, before he got injured.

"I really thought Robbie Keane would have stayed there for the rest of his career."

Source: http://tribalfootball.com/article.php?id=105238

Martin Jol just read my mind. For me Keane was the face of Spurs...how the heck did they let him leave? I thought he would end is career there! And for so cheap? 18-19m is the initial price but could raise later but they could of got more imo. They did say they were 'forced' to sell him but they did it without much fuss.

And why the heck is there such fuss over Berbatov? The guy who apparently wanted to leave since god knows when? He gets fined according to the press because of his behavior and wants out and wants to play CL football and is being offered 28m pounds yet Spurs go nuts at us? I bloody hate Spurs so much right now! This transfer saga is ticking me off way more than the whole Ronaldo saga!!

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Cheap are you joking ??

19m for a 28-29 year old who has only ever really won a Carling Cup sounds excellent business to me.

Yes he was a good player at Spurs and became a more mature leader, but when i heard of this transfer fee i was really quite shocked.

The worrying thing is if Robbie Keane is worth the best part of £20m then we could well be looking at high 30's if we're going to land Dimitar Berbatov. The market in my opinion has gone crazy !

·
23,699 Posts
Guardian

Tottenham are hypocrites, says angry Sevilla chief

The Sevilla president, José María del Nido, has accused the Tottenham Hotspur hierarchy of being "hypocrisy personified" over their complaints against Liverpool and Manchester United for what the London club perceive to have been a public and illegal courting of Robbie Keane and Dimitar Berbatov.

Spurs submitted a complaint to the Premier League with their chairman, Daniel Levy, claiming that the behaviour of both clubs had been "disgraceful" in their pursuit of the players.

But Del Nido was outraged to learn of Tottenham's sense of grievance as Sevilla are still smarting after losing their manager, Juande Ramos, to Spurs in controversial circumstances last autumn. "I think it is hypocrisy personified that Spurs are complaining about things they themselves have done," said Del Nido."They took away our manager. I think Tottenham's style is demonstrated by the way they contracted Juande Ramos."

Ramos was photographed at a Sevilla hotel visited by a delegation of Tottenham officials last August. He denied meeting the group from the London club at the time but, after being shown the photographs, claimed he had been meeting friends. Spurs denied that they were looking to replace their manager Martin Jol at the time, though the Dutchman was sacked in October and replaced by Ramos.

Relations between Sevilla and Ramos are strained, with each suing the other. "Sevilla have a claim against Juande and Juande has a claim against us and it is being dealt with in the courts of our city," said Del Nido. "It is not a case for Fifa, only for the normal courts. It has nothing to do with Tottenham - just Sevilla and Juande."

Levy expressed his frustration last month at the prospect of losing both Keane and Berbatov. Tottenham have since accepted an apology from Rafael Benítez, with a donation also made to charity, and sanctioned Keane's move to Liverpool for an initial £19m, though their dispute with United remains ongoing.

The legacy of Sevilla's anger at losing Ramos is frustrating Tottenham's attempts to sign their highly rated winger Diego Capel - a £12.5m offer has been rejected, despite meeting a buy-out clause in the player's contract - with the Spanish club suggesting that they would have accepted such an offer from any club apart from Spurs.

Martin Jol, meanwhile, cranked up the pressure on Ramos last night by suggesting that his replacement should be expected to secure a top-four finish after spending heavily in the transfer market this summer.

With David Bentley and Luca Modric already recruited at a combined cost of £33.5m, Jol believes there can be no excuses for Ramos failing to achieve success next season. "It's a different philosophy. I think they have to break into the top four now," he said.

Bentley made the perfect start to his Tottenham career by scoring the second goal in his new club's 2-0 victory over Celtic at the Feyenoord jubilee tournament in Rotterdam yesterday.

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
versa said:
The legacy of Sevilla's anger at losing Ramos is frustrating Tottenham's attempts to sign their highly rated winger Diego Capel - a £12.5m offer has been rejected, despite meeting a buy-out clause in the player's contract - with the Spanish club suggesting that they would have accepted such an offer from any club apart from Spurs.
That's class lol.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
yes the hypocrite remark was very funny pot kettle and all that .
listening to fergies interview after todays match he said he was happy with rooney , tevez and campbell and trying to get manucho a work permit , i dont know if this was deliberate or he was discarding berbatov

261 - 280 of 1906 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.