Manchester United Talk banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
61 - 80 of 1906 Posts

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
bryn_keeno said:
utd throwing money away 20-25 for a lazy b. is he the best we can get...crouch is just as good and 10 mil cheaper

Peter Crouch is a good player and much better than most people give him credit for, but Berbatov is better. Quite a lot better in fact.

He has better touch, better vision and whenever he's played as a lone striker, it was almost always a masterclass performance.

Now take those performances and add man utd's midfield plus Rooney and Tevez to that...

I can't already hear the chanting from the terraces "Ooh, Ah, Dimitar..."

My worry with him is his attitude and a few sitters he missed last season, but Crouch is not as good and quite frankly I'd rather spend 24 on Berba than 10 on Crouch.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
Berbatov's agent 'confirms' Man Utd interest

From espnsoccernet.com

SOFIA, July 13 (Reuters) - Manchester United are interested in signing Tottenham Hotspur striker Dimitar Berbatov, the Bulgaria captain's agent said on Saturday.

British media earlier reported that the European and Premier League champions had made a £20 million ($39.53 million) bid for the gifted marksman, saying United were prepared to offer Berbatov £80,000 a week to move to Old Trafford.

'I know for certain Manchester United have shown interest in signing Dimitar Berbatov,' agent Emil Danchev told Bulgaria's Darik radio. 'But I'm not entitled to make any more comments.'

Last year, United also made enquiries about the possibility of signing Berbatov but he stayed with the north London club.

The striker turned down an offer from United when he joined Spurs from Bayer Leverkusen for 16 million euros in 2006.

The 27-year-old has been linked with some of Europe's other top clubs following excellent performances in his first two seasons in England. He was instrumental in helping Tottenham win the League Cup last season - their first trophy since 1999.

Guys, I realise there is already Berbatov thread in 'Transfer Talk' but I thought that we needed some positive news here.

In my humble view, this guy would be a fantastic addition (attitude questions notwithstanding) and provide us with a very different attacking option - a talented target man. An option we really haven't had since rvn.

This signing would also help us transition to life AR (after ronaldo).

Perfect, let's get him! :D

OMG Zuco, are you ever fast!

Yeah, I knew I had posted it incorrectly, but I get the sense sometimes that ManUtd Chat is all some people ever read.

Sorry....:)

·
Registered
934 Posts
Spurs 'agree' £28m deal for Berbatov
Manchester United have agreed to pay Tottenham £28million for striker Dimitar Berbatov according to reports - but the Bulgarian won't be allowed to leave White Hart Lane until Spurs boss Juande Ramos lines up a replacement.

Today's Evening Standard reports that the two clubs have finally reached a deal after offers of £20m and £25m were rejected.

Spurs have always insisted publicly Berbatov is not for sale but appear to have been resigned for some time their prize asset will be leaving.

The 27-year-old has made clear his Champions League ambition and although Spurs would have preferred to sell him to a foreign club, neither Barcelona or Real Madrid have followed up their interest in him.

Ramos will now use the funds to attempt to finalise an £18m deal for Blackburn's David Bentley and the club have also entered the race to sign Russia playmaker Andrei Arshavin.

Spurs could also turn to Blackburn in a bid to replace Berbatov with Roque Santa Cruz also a target.

http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/football/article.html?in_article_id=217261&in_page_id=43

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
United agree £28m fee with Tottenham for Berbatov - now Spurs wait for Arshavin decision on White Hart Lane switch

Manchester United have agreed to pay Tottenham a club-record £28million for Dimitar
Berbatov - but may have to wait a few weeks before completing the deal.

Sir Alex Ferguson finally made his move for the Bulgarian striker over the weekend.

An initial bid of £20m was rejected and it was then reported that United would make a £25m take-it-or-leave it offer.

However, the two clubs have now come to an agreement after chairman Daniel Levy insisted the champions pay closer to £30m.

Publicly, Spurs are still insisting the striker isn’t for sale but head coach Juande Ramos has been planning for next season without him for some time.

The 27-year-old has made it clear he wants to leave and while he preferred a move to Barcelona or Real Madrid because of the lifestyle in Spain, United are the only club to have followed up their interest with a solid bid.

Tottenham had put a new contract in place in case no offer was forthcoming, but the player showed little interest in signing it.

Reports in the London Evening Standard suggest Spurs will still not let him leave for Old Trafford until they find a replacement and the club have joined Arsenal and Chelsea in the hunt for Zenit St Petersburg’s Euro 2008 Russian star Andrei Arshavin.

Blackburn striker Roque Santa Cruz is also a target, although Tottenham are already having difficulty negotiating with Blackburn over England winger David Bentley.

The Lancashire club want £18m for the former Arsenal star who is keen to return to London and is a Spurs fan.

Tottenham may also use the funds from the Berbatov sale to make another move for Barcelona striker Samuel Eto’o, although he has already made it clear he isn’t interested in coming to White Hart Lane.

But while Berbatov will go to United, they won’t allow assistant manager Gus Poyet to follow him.

The Uruguayan is on Ferguson’s wish list to replace Carlos Queiroz, but Spurs are determined to keep him and he is happy at the club.

- Daily Mail

·
Registered
70 Posts
28M? Yeah right, probably knocked off one of the youth players with 20 mill or so on top. I went and had a look at some of Berbatov's goals the other night, he certainly is 'individual'.

·
Registered
36 Posts
i hope it's final! i think berbatov would be a great signing! i see him as the next van nistelrooy... can't imagine him pairing with either rooney or tevez, it would be phenomenal... this year i expects a treble! haha...

·
23,699 Posts
I certainly hope it is not true and am still disappointed that Fergie apparently ignored Huntelaar who gave more than a signal to get him.

I have two main misgivings about signing Berbatov:

1. He has poor attitude and mentally a suspect. Yet to hear Ramos persuading him to stay but only heard him giving his blessing to his exit. He is often labelled as lazy because you don't see him chasing for lost cause but only see him get disinterested or disappears when the chips are down. Yeah, sure he can bang in 4 goals in a match.... only when the team is on song. Being moody and sulking away are really secondary.

2. He is not what we really need. What we really need now is a typical goal poacher to get the business done consistently after Tevez, Rooney and company run their socks off to create the opportunities, especially now that our 42-goal hero "can't talk about my future". Not just someone who floats around classily to entertain with his technical gifts. Nice to watch but effective and ruthless? Scoring that odd goal when we are playing badly to seal the game? Sure he can score as a top striker should but that does not seem to be his main preoccupation, unlike Huntelaar.

Ok, in all fairness, either Fergie is confident he can bring out the cutting edge in Berbatov that would give us a different dimension in our offence or he is as confident to change his attitude.

And if Berbatov does put on the red jersey which is rumoured so strongly, I will try to be kinder and be more inclined.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
i just like to say that berbatov is top quality and will surely improve the utd team if we manage to sign him.most of this talk about him being lazy sulky and moody is nonsense this guy is a winner who has not yet played in a top team you just wait for his impact here,and remember his job is in the top 3rd not defending

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
well, i think fergie is trying to bring in berbatov instead of huntelaar because of a few reasons.

1. berbatov is much more creative, instead of a fox in the box, he is trying to continue the striker-less formation 4-6-0, by having every attacking player to move around and confuse opposition. thats why berbatov does.

2. berbatov is nearing his peak, and in the case where by ronaldo might leave, we can have 3 forwards with rooney or tevez dropping back a little. (right now its always ronaldo, rooney, tevez)

3. Frazier campbell. he's coming through, is the kind of out and out striker who can score goals, though not really tall. he's fast, and has potential. getting huntelaar here, who is only 24, might just make campbell think he has no chance with huntelaar around.

4. Manucho. a smiliar kind of striker to huntelaar, though not much people has actually seen him play.

This is my views though. but i wouldnt mind huntelaar or berbatov. they are both quality strikers. :)

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
nigelchin said:
well, i think fergie is trying to bring in berbatov instead of huntelaar because of a few reasons.

1. berbatov is much more creative, instead of a fox in the box, he is trying to continue the striker-less formation 4-6-0, by having every attacking player to move around and confuse opposition. thats why berbatov does.

2. berbatov is nearing his peak, and in the case where by ronaldo might leave, we can have 3 forwards with rooney or tevez dropping back a little. (right now its always ronaldo, rooney, tevez)

3. Frazier campbell. he's coming through, is the kind of out and out striker who can score goals, though not really tall. he's fast, and has potential. getting huntelaar here, who is only 24, might just make campbell think he has no chance with huntelaar around.

4. Manucho. a smiliar kind of striker to huntelaar, though not much people has actually seen him play.

This is my views though. but i wouldnt mind huntelaar or berbatov. they are both quality strikers. :)
Good post, i for one am a big fan of the sriker less formation, it is deverstating and that formation alone can get you goal out of absolutely nowhere which is a massive strength to have. Berbatov is certainly a striker who can play in this formation weather it's from the bench or from the start, i also believe he would show more passion and mature as a person under Sir Alex, after all though i wouldnt mind Huntelaar either, it's a nice position to be in i suppose, as long as we get one of them :)

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Latest Reports: £25M Take it or Leave it Bid from United,
Im not sure about Berbatov,
I'd rather see Huntelaar,
Anyway will Spurs sell him, Keane is probably going to Liverpool..!!

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
versa said:
I certainly hope it is not true and am still disappointed that Fergie apparently ignored Huntelaar who gave more than a signal to get him.

I have two main misgivings about signing Berbatov:

1. He has poor attitude and mentally a suspect. Yet to hear Ramos persuading him to stay but only heard him giving his blessing to his exit. He is often labelled as lazy because you don't see him chasing for lost cause but only see him get disinterested or disappears when the chips are down. Yeah, sure he can bang in 4 goals in a match.... only when the team is on song. Being moody and sulking away are really secondary.

2. He is not what we really need. What we really need now is a typical goal poacher to get the business done consistently after Tevez, Rooney and company run their socks off to create the opportunities, especially now that our 42-goal hero "can't talk about my future". Not just someone who floats around classily to entertain with his technical gifts. Nice to watch but effective and ruthless? Scoring that odd goal when we are playing badly to seal the game? Sure he can score as a top striker should but that does not seem to be his main preoccupation, unlike Huntelaar.

Ok, in all fairness, either Fergie is confident he can bring out the cutting edge in Berbatov that would give us a different dimension in our offence or he is as confident to change his attitude.

And if Berbatov does put on the red jersey which is rumoured so strongly, I will try to be kinder and be more inclined.

- Absolutely agree. Huntelaar would be my number one choice, but I would be very hapy with Berba too.

The number 1 problem has to be his attitude. As you said, I haven't seen him chase a lost cause either, but he's probably asking himself why he should.

The problem is, he should be doing it for the jersey he wears, not just silverware.

Having said that, I think Fergie will get the best out of him and he is definitely more creative with the ball than the hunter.

Another factor is his age, which various members have been trying to play down here.

Huntelaar turns 25 in August and at a price tag of around 20million will give us 6 of his best years, which represents very good value to me.

Using 31 as the general age when strikers start to decline, Berba would be able to give us 3 1/2 years. at 24 to 28million pounds, that doesn't represent very good value in monetary terms.

However Berba has already proven himself in the prem, while Huntelaar would have to adapt and prove himself. We're all sure he could, but he still has to do it, hasn't he and Berba's already done it.

Berbatov's first touch is great, he's strong and able to hold up the ball and has great vision. He's really creative and able to create goals for himself and his team mates out of nothing.

He was the 5th highest scorer, as well as the 5th highest player in terms of assist and tormented us in both league games last season.

I'd prefer the Hunter, but believe you me, I'd be very pleased if Fergie bought Berba.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Dimitar Berbatov could be on the brink of joining Manchester United after reports claimed that Tottenham have accepted a £28 million bid for the Bulgarian striker.

After Spurs rebuffed a £20m approach by United over the weekend it appeared and impasse between the two clubs was developing with the White Hart Lane outfit insisting on the full £30m asking price they had placed on Berbatov and United unwilling to increase their bid beyond £25m.

However, the Daily Telegraph reported on Monday that the two clubs have subsequently agreed a compromise with Spurs accepting £2m less than they had been holding out for.

Since joining the club from Bayer Leverkusen two years ago Berbatov has been frequently linked with a move away from Spurs, with United consistently at the top of list of suitors for the 27-year-old who has plundered 27 goals in his time in the Premier League.

It is understood that United will offer £18m upfront with the remainder of the transfer fee payable on depending on the player's appearances and achievements.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=555242&sec=england&cc=4716

61 - 80 of 1906 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.