Not open for further replies.
81 - 100 of 1906 Posts

·
There's Only One Darren Fletcher!
11,978 Posts
Done ?

(From www.goal.com)

United Agree £28m Berbatov Fee - Report

Manchester United have agreed a fee with Tottenham Hotspur for striker Dimitar Berbatov, according to reports.

The Bulgarian hit-man has been a long-term target of Red Devils manager Sir Alex Ferguson, with the Premiership champions close to a move to Old Trafford last summer.

However, with the player's agent confirming that his client had received an offer from the club, Spurs manager Juande Ramos has resigned himself to starting the season in August without the majestic forward and has earmarked Espanyol forward Luis Garcia and Euro 2008 star Andrei Arshavin as replacements.

The Daily Telegraph reports that a fee of £28 million, subject to performance-related add-ons, has been agreed by both parties, £2 million below the valuation placed on a player who has netted 27 times in his Premiership career thus far.

However, the amount represents some hard bargaining by the north Londoners, who rejected United's first offer of £20 million.

The move is set to spark a frenzy of deals in the English top-flight, with Spurs using the money to finances their own £17 million move for want-away Blackburn Rovers midfielder David Bentley.

The newspaper also speculates that Ramos will use current number-one, Paul Robinson, as a makeweight for Bentley, signalling Brad Friedel's exit from Ewood Park as Aston Villa line up a £2.5 million offer.

Manager Paul Ince admitted on Monday that Aston Villa had also joined the race for the 23-year old, with the former MK Dons boss identifying Liverpool's Jermaine Pennant as a possible replacement on the right-side of midfield.

He did, however, refute suggestions that 37-year old Friedel was bound for the exit door, stating that he wants to “keep his best players€.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
I really see promise in this move for him.If Sir Alex can unlock the key to Dimitar's mind,he can wipe the seemingly lackluster approach to his game and create a very ruthless target man.If he plays right and adds a little more enthusiasm to his game,he could be better than Drogba.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
FERGIE HANGS ON FOR BERBA
15th July 2008 By Andy Rose SIR Alex Ferguson is ready to make Tottenham sweat after being told he can have Dimitar Berbatov for £28m.

Reports in London yesterday suggested a fee had already been agreed for the Bulgarian hitman, who scored 23 goals for Spurs last season.

But sources at Old Trafford insist Fergie is unwilling to go above £25m and is in no rush to get the deal done before jetting out for United’s pre-season tour to South Africa on Thursday.

Spurs boss Juande Ramos wants the transfer pushed through as soon as possible after Berbatov (right) made it clear he wants to join the European champions.

Ramos is on the verge of tying up a £17m deal for Blackburn and England winger David Bentley but desperately needs the money from Berbatov’s sale to finance the move.

Last week, Fergie tabled an initial £20m offer which was turned down by Spurs who want £30m. But with Ramos keen to bring in his own targets – including Espanyol striker Luis Garcia – the clock is ticking on how long Spurs can hold out for the full asking price.

Fergie knows this and is willing to be patient having already waited since January to get his man.

If he fails to land his top summer target, Fergie is willing to look elsewhere though and could line up Argentine hot-shot Sergio Aguero.

United have been eyeing up Fernando Torres’ former Atletico Madrid strike partner for some time.

But Atletico insist it will take an offer of £40m to trigger talks for the Spanish League’s Player of the Year.

The Argentine, nicknamed ‘El Kun’ after a Japanese cartoon caveman, has flourished since Torres left Spain to join Liverpool last summer, scoring 20 goals last season.

His agent, Jose Seguí, admitted yesterday: “I have received an offer from an English club who have asked for it to be passed on to Atletico Madrid.

“I can’t say anymore until I talk to the club about the offer. I can only say that we are talking about one of the best teams in Europe, but not Chelsea.”

A lot of people said we should go above 25m, look like we may have to ?

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
I think 25m should be the max...Torres was bought for less even!
Yes each transfer season the prices goes up but still..
30m would just be outrageous imo...29m would be my max bid lol
His a good player and I would love if he came...just not to expensive plz!

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
28million pounds would be exaggerated for a player who will turn 28 in January.

He is a very good player and very capable with many great qualities, but I don't understand why Manchester United always decide to buy so late and pay such a heavy premium.

We could have gotten Ferdinand when he left the hammers for Leeds at 18million, but instead bought him for 29million only 19 months later. :rolleyes:

Beckham being sold for only 25million also still irks me.

He's the most recognizable footballer on the planet and we sold him for 25million pounds, which was paid in installments. ...... ridiculous.......

When he left Madrid on a free ramon Calderon revealed that they made 300 million Euros from David Bekham.

Ronaldinho's price tag is touted at 25.6million. He is a double footballer of the year.

Is 28 year old Dimitar Berbatov really worth more than Ronaldinho?

David Gill should not be held ransom by other clubs.

I would rather take a small risk on Huntelaar than pay 28million for Berbatov.

If Huntelaar and Berbatov were at the same price, I would understand the club going for a proves Premier League striker, even if he's older. But if the figure of 28 is really true it would not represent good value in my opinion.

Sure, he;s a good player, but the DEAL would not be a good deal.

·
Berbatov>Tevez
11,076 Posts
i'd rather have eto'o, huntelaar or aguero than him. it's not that i don't rate him but .... i like the players that leave impression , a trademark on the pitch. for instance- eto'o is a speedy little devil and a great goalscorer,and he's known for that, huntelaar is known for a fox in the box atributes, aguero -the right footed messi...and berbatov just looks so lazy although he's a great player, no doubt about that- but it's just that something that makes me choose others ahead of him...
don't get me wrong - i wouldn't mind having him....

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
I just want to say that most of the posts here are an exceptional read and provide excellent opinion/analysis!

Its great to read positive comments about our future...rather than the endless cr saga.

:D

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
I know its the Sun (;)) but here goes;

==========================================================
£30m for Dimi or forget it

By MARK IRWIN

Published: Today

TOTTENHAM have told Manchester United Dimitar Berbatov can go for £30million - and no less.

United moved in with a £20m bid for Berba on Saturday - as revealed in SunSport.

United boss Alex Ferguson has long been a fan of the Bulgarian hitman, 27, who has averaged more than a goal every other game since arriving at Spurs two years ago from Bayer Leverkusen.

Chairman Daniel Levy rejected United's bid and yesterday shocked Old Trafford with his demands for a near-British record fee.

Levy is determined to play hardball after receiving stinging criticism from fans for the £18.6m sale of Michael Carrick to United two years ago.

They believe the England midfielder was under-priced and Levy is determined that will not happen again.

He is also waiting for an offer he cannot refuse from Liverpool for striker Robbie Keane — probably around £20m.

But United refuse to go above £24m for Berba and are ready to play a waiting game, knowing Levy is desperate to raise cash for boss Juande Ramos.

The Spaniard is already determined to sign £17m Blackburn ace David Bentley.

Spurs hope to recoup £5m by sending keeper Paul Robinson to Rovers in part-exchange.

Berbatov and Keane featured for Spurs as they cruised to an 8-0 win over Tavernes in Spain last night.

New £4.7m buy Giovani Dos Santos bagged a double on his debut with Jamie O'Hara (2), Tomas Pekhart (2), Steed Malbranque and Aaron Lennon also on target.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
i wouldnt mind berbatov. well, for me, if huntelaar came, it might just push frazier campbell out of MUFC.

im just thinking, that if the 6+5 rule is really implemented, we have campbell to add on. we do know he has the potential to be a really good player. but with huntelaar coming, campbell would know he wouldnt have much games with manucho, 25, huntelaar, 24, tevez, 23, Rooney, 22 around for the 1 or 2 starting spot.

thats what i believe ferguson is thinking about. he's always planning for the future without jeopardising our chances of trophies laden season in the present.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I think that £30m could be the problem for Fergie and then he goes looking for a cheaper solution but i hope that Berbatov comes. I rather take Berba then Huntelaar or another striker.

·
Proto-Hipster
46,961 Posts
30m :eek: to much for berbatov
maybe if we can pay a less amount of money with a player to go on the other way

·
Registered
736 Posts
£30m for Dimi or forget it

TOTTENHAM have told Manchester United Dimitar Berbatov can go for £30million - and no less.

United moved in with a £20m bid for Berba on Saturday - as revealed in SunSport.

United boss Alex Ferguson has long been a fan of the Bulgarian hitman, 27, who has averaged more than a goal every other game since arriving at Spurs two years ago from Bayer Leverkusen.

Chairman Daniel Levy rejected United’s bid and yesterday shocked Old Trafford with his demands for a near-British record fee.

Levy is determined to play hardball after receiving stinging criticism from fans for the £18.6m sale of Michael Carrick to United two years ago.

They believe the England midfielder was under-priced and Levy is determined that will not happen again.

He is also waiting for an offer he cannot refuse from Liverpool for striker Robbie Keane — probably around £20m.

But United refuse to go above £24m for Berba and are ready to play a waiting game, knowing Levy is desperate to raise cash for boss Juande Ramos.

The Spaniard is already determined to sign £17m Blackburn ace David Bentley.

Spurs hope to recoup £5m by sending keeper Paul Robinson to Rovers in part-exchange.

Berbatov and Keane featured for Spurs as they cruised to an 8-0 win over Tavernes in Spain last night.

New £4.7m buy Giovani Dos Santos bagged a double on his debut with Jamie O’Hara (2), Tomas Pekhart (2), Steed Malbranque and Aaron Lennon also on target. -TheSun

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/article1423323.ece

Berba will be the new Cantona

WITH all the controversy surrounding Cristiano Ronaldo, it is already becoming one hell of a long pre-season for Manchester United fans.

He’s going. He’s staying. He’s injured. He’s a slave. Blah, blah, blah.

But Red Devils fans fear not. Where there is hope, at least there is Dimitar Berbatov.

The moody Bulgarian is bang on Alex Ferguson’s radar and I reckon he is the Eric Cantona clone the United faithful have been praying for.

The languid style. The look of not being interested — before turning on the stunning skill. The pure class.

Cantona had bucketloads of it and so does Berba. He’s just got the vibe, if you know what I mean.

There is a bit of Dennis Bergkamp about him, too but the Cantona comparison is spot on.

People look at him and think he isn’t quick. But they are wrong.

He is deceptively fast and so technically gifted. He can do fantastic things with the ball and scores some cracking goals — just like Eric used to.

Left foot, right foot, close range or far out. The guy has it all.

To be honest, I am surprised there haven’t been more clubs sniffing around.

The Tottenham star is exactly the type of player who would fit into Ferguson’s line-up without any fuss at all. The United chief has a knack of getting guys in who easily walk into the team.

And I can just see Berbatov strutting round Old Trafford.

Up front with Carlos Tevez? Playing just off Wayne Rooney? Any way you look it, it’s one hell of a tasty proposition.

Berbatov is a great link player who will love the free-flowing football United served up last season.

At times he resembles someone who looks like he would rather be somewhere else.

But with the lure of the Champions League and fighting for the title, we may just see a smile on his face.

Certainly being teed up by the likes of Paul Scholes, Rooney and Ryan Giggs every week would make me smile.

The quality of service and the players around will make Berbatov a better player and, perhaps, he will be happier within himself.

That would see a new, maybe more determined player.

Let’s remember what a brilliant couple of seasons he has had at Spurs and think that this guy, 27, can still improve and become even better.

It’s an exciting prospect and Premier League defences wouldn’t like it one bit.

Fergie? He would absolutely love it and perhaps take some of the pain away from the Ronaldo situation and what has been one of the worst transfer sagas in living memory.

Everywhere you look around this sorry mess it just stinks.

Let’s start with our old pal Sepp Blatter. I don’t want to waste too much time carping on about a bloke who isn’t worth the exposure but the FIFA president needs to be told a few home truths.

What right does he have to call into question how United are treating their own player — who they pay?

Here we have a man who is at the pinnacle of power yet continues to spout off in unbelievable ways.

Why doesn’t someone from FIFA pull him to one side and let him know exactly what the organisation think of these ridiculous outbursts?

It does no one any favours. But, then again, the actions of United and Real Madrid have hardly added any gloss to this sickening situation.

Yes, Real have played a naughty game of publicly chasing a player who isn’t theirs.

They have managed to turn his head 180 degrees and Fergie is furious.

But hold on. What have United been doing for the past two years with Berbatov?

It may not have been so public but Berba knows they fancy him. So then Spurs get the hump. And rightly so.

Also, take a really close look at what United did with Owen Hargreaves and Bayern Munich.

If you’re in the market to do these sort of things to other clubs, you must expect it to happen to you.

The double standards in football really astonish me sometimes but that is the way it is these days.

Back when I had my boots on, I never experienced similar situations.

When I left Palace for Arsenal, I played for the Eagles on the Saturday, got a call saying George Graham wanted me and that was that.

No baloney, no bull. Let’s get it straight. Ronaldo wants to go. If he wanted to stay he would have said so.

The noises coming from his camp say only one thing. This should all have been quashed ages ago.

If he really wanted to stay he would have said so by now. The silence is deafening. And very, very annoying.

Fergie is digging his heels in. Why? What’s the point? If Ronaldo doesn’t want to play, let him go.

People say let him rot. What’s the point of that.

What does it achieve? Yeah, it will make the reserves one hell of a lot better but that’s all.

We are in the business of supply and demand. The bottom line is he wants to play football.

So let him play. Either here or in Spain.

If he has a change of mind and wants to stay, great.

Whatever happens, though, it is disrupting his pre-season and taking up too much time which should be used to fine-tune his plans for what promises to be a cracking season. -TheSun

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/sunsport_columnists/article1422974.ece

·
Registered
1 Posts
Berba

Huntelaar, Huntelaar, Huntelaar! Aaaaaaaaaaaa, enough tears for this kid. Berba is 27 yars old. And what? He is much better than Huntelaar. Tell me how many of you are watching Huntelaar on TV. And how much times! You speak according the magazine's writings, not according your eyes. Berba will be new transfer at OT if you want or if you don't want. And you better get used to it. I'm sure he will not disappoint us!!!

·
Banned
292 Posts
I don't think Manchester United will pay £30 million for Dimitar Berbatov, a compromise will be made for less than that. I am 100% certain that Berbatov will be joining us in this transfer window, the transfer fee will eventually be agreed. If anything it is United who can hold Tottenham to ransom on this occasion, Tottenham have spent alot of money and need to balance the books before pursuing other targets such as Bentley and Santa Cruz. I think one of two things will happen here, either Spurs will back down and accept our second offer of £25 million, or an agreement will be made of about £18 million up front which could rise to £28 million based on his achievements for us such as appearances and goals. I am very excited and looking forward to seeing him play for us, it is some time since we made a major purchase of an established worldwide star so it is great news.

·
23,699 Posts
Berbatov confident of making dream move despite Spurs rebuffing United approach

http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/sport...Spurs-rebuffing-United-approach.html?ITO=1490

Dimitar Berbatov is determined Tottenham's hard-line stance over a proposed move to Manchester United will not wreck his dream of Champions League football next season.

United have not agreed a fee with Spurs and have not raised last week's initial £20m bid.

But despite insistence from Tottenham that a new approach is not welcome, Berbatov has told those close to him that he expects to be a United player come the close of the transfer window.

Sir Alex Ferguson is prepared to play a waiting game for Berbatov, given the Bulgaria striker is his only major transfer target of the summer.

Sources at United confirmed yesterday that there is no prospect of Berbatov joining them on their tour of South Africa and Nigeria, but negotiations will gather pace upon their return in a fortnight's time.

81 - 100 of 1906 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.