Manchester United Talk banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Berbatov-Speculation Thread

86K views 2K replies 173 participants last post by  Carlo 
#1 ·
MANCHESTER UNITED tabled an official £20million bid for Tottenham strike star Dimitar Berbatov last night.

And Alex Ferguson expects to wrap up the deal within the next week after making his opening offer.

The United boss is in the market for a proven Premier League goalscorer to play alongside Wayne Rooney next season.

Berbatov has been top of Fergie’s wanted list all year and now he has turned his interest into a hard cash bid.

United are convinced they can lure the Bulgarian to Old Trafford with the promise of Champions League football and an £80,000- a-week pay packet.

Berbatov, 27, is keen to move on to bigger things after two years at White Hart Lane.

He was a £10.9m signing from Bayer Leverkusen in 2006 and has scored 46 goals in two seasons with Spurs.

But he fell out with Martin Jol last season and has failed to impress new boss Juande Ramos with his attitude.

Spurs chairman Daniel Levy slapped a £30m price tag on Berbatov when Fergie and United came sniffing in the January window.

But Ramos has already splashed more than £50m this year on Luka Modric, Jonathan Woodgate, Alan Hutton, Heurelho Gomes, Giovani Dos Santos, Chris Gunter, Gilberto and John Bostock.

And Spurs need funds to finance their £11m move for Espanyol striker Luis Garcia.

They will try to prise a few more million out of United before finally agreeing to sell fans’ favourite Berbatov.

But Ramos has given his blessing.

Emil Dantchev, Berbatov’s agent, said: “I cannot make any comment until there is official confirmation from Tottenham or United.”

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/article1413705.ece

See less See more
#379 ·
manutd.com said:
United close in on Berbatov
Dimitar Berbatov expects to be a Manchester United player within the
next 48 hours.
The Bulgarian striker has told his Tottenham team-
mates that he is on his way to Old Trafford. The £25million deal ends a year-long
pursuit of the player by United boss Alex Ferguson. As we reported on Saturday,
United were confident the deal would be done by the end of this week. Now the
Champions hope to unveil him as their new signing in time to be eligible for their
big kick-off against Newcastle on Sunday. Berbatov, 27, feared the deal might be off when reports surfaced of possible United moves for Thierry Henry at Barcelona
and Valencia’s David Villa. But Berbatov was always Ferguson’s No1 one target.
He has had three bids rejected — last summer, in the New Year and at the end of
this season.
Neil Custis, The Sun
He'll be in a United shirt come Sunday....or so it looks now!

#389 ·
Fergie banks on Berbatov: United seal the deal for £25m Spurs striker

By Ian Ladyman Last updated at 1:47 AM on 13th August 2008

Dimitar Berbatov is expected to agree personal terms and seal his £25million move to Manchester United.

Sportsmail understands that the Bulgaria striker is due at United's Carrington training centre after finally being given permission by Tottenham Hotspur to talk to the Barclays Premier League and European champions.

The 27-year-old will be offered a four-year deal worth in the region of £80,000-a-week. United hope he will appear on their official pre-season team photo, scheduled to be taken on Friday.

If Berbatov agrees terms, his signing will end an 18-month pursuit by Sir Alex Ferguson, who will be on the verge of fielding his dream attacking line-up featuring Berbatov, Carlos Tevez, Wayne Rooney and Cristiano Ronaldo when the latter two regain health and fitness.

Ironically, the Premier League board are discussing Tottenham's allegations that United have behaved improperly in their pursuit of Berbatov. White Hart Lane chairman Daniel Levy believes United 'tapped up' their player and made a complaint to the Premier League in mid-July.

However, the League are not expected to find in Tottenham's favour - especially as the clubs have been negotiating for the last few weeks. As Sportsmail revealed last month, United's first offer of £20m for Berbatov was turned down with Spurs originally wanting £32m for the player.

But it is understood the clubs have now agreed on a fee of around £25m - money which Spurs will need to spend immediately on a replacement.

At United there will be jubilation if the deal goes through as Berbatov has been targeted to lead the line since impressing Ferguson in 2006-07.

With Louis Saha so often injured, United have not had a 'through the middle' striker since Ruud van Nistelrooy left.

Meanwhile, United veteran Ryan Giggs fears this season could be his last at his one and only club.

The Old Trafford legend has a year left on his current deal and although the champions are almost certain to discuss a new one, the 34-year-old has hinted it could be time to go.

Giggs said: 'For each of the last couple of seasons I've gone into it as if it's my last. I'm not getting any younger so this one could be. That's my motivation to stay in the team.

'I have good players around me and I want to win and experience things like we did last season. Winning trophies motivates me.'

Giggs has looked fresh and enthusiastic in pre-season and is likely to start the new season as a key part of Ferguson's team.

He is already looking to the future and began working towards his coaching qualifications during the summer.

The former Wales captain added: 'I went to Lilleshall with Gary Neville and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer. It brought me back down to earth after the Champions League in Moscow.

'I enjoyed it, although it's hard work looking at things from the other side of the fence. It was tough as I've been used to playing and just concentrating on that.

'There are so many other things to concentrate on as a coach so I suppose I appreciate what the coach is doing a lot more now.

'I think I'll pursue it. I have to finish it off this season then go for my Pro Licence. I want to be prepared for when I finish playing.'

Daily Mail http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1044128/Fergie-banks-Berbatov-United-seal-deal-25m-Spurs-striker.html

#392 ·
manutdforever said:
MANCHESTER UNITED tabled an official £20million bid for Tottenham strike star Dimitar Berbatov last night.

And Alex Ferguson expects to wrap up the deal within the next week after making his opening offer.

The United boss is in the market for a proven Premier League goalscorer to play alongside Wayne Rooney next season.

Berbatov has been top of Fergie's wanted list all year and now he has turned his interest into a hard cash bid.

United are convinced they can lure the Bulgarian to Old Trafford with the promise of Champions League football and an £80,000- a-week pay packet.

Berbatov, 27, is keen to move on to bigger things after two years at White Hart Lane.

He was a £10.9m signing from Bayer Leverkusen in 2006 and has scored 46 goals in two seasons with Spurs.

But he fell out with Martin Jol last season and has failed to impress new boss Juande Ramos with his attitude.

Spurs chairman Daniel Levy slapped a £30m price tag on Berbatov when Fergie and United came sniffing in the January window.

But Ramos has already splashed more than £50m this year on Luka Modric, Jonathan Woodgate, Alan Hutton, Heurelho Gomes, Giovani Dos Santos, Chris Gunter, Gilberto and John Bostock.

And Spurs need funds to finance their £11m move for Espanyol striker Luis Garcia.

They will try to prise a few more million out of United before finally agreeing to sell fans' favourite Berbatov.

But Ramos has given his blessing.

Emil Dantchev, Berbatov's agent, said: “I cannot make any comment until there is official confirmation from Tottenham or United.â€

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/article1413705.ece
It looks like he is coming. We do need him as we were short of two strikers(Saha and Ole) last season, and although we have the potential of Campbell and the possibility of Manucho, (no work permit yet), we cannot take the chance again. I regret we let Rossi go but with Berbatov I think it will be our best ever squad.

#396 ·
daveskimufc said:
berba has been good for tottenham, but he was a big name in a middle of the road team. How will he cope with being just another supastar at MANUTD???

Give campbell a chance.
Man Utd is not just a club compared to newcastle or man city we are champions we got to bring the best to the best. Campbell will have his time to shine his 21 ? let's see how it goes but i am sure we will see him as a sub this season we will see how this kid works.

For now we got to be the best!

#397 ·
I have a big grin on my face.

63 replies in just over 12 hours. NICE!

I'll read them shortly. Amazing eh....guess we all have been yearning for a big summer signing.

Pretty amazing to think about Ronaldo, Rooney, Tevez, Berbatov..... plus Nani, Anderson, Carrick, Scholes, Hargreaves........

#398 ·
Just seen sometin interesting on Shy Sports a min ago!!!
since season 06 to 08 in the prem the top three goals and assist are

1 Ronaldo

2 Ronney

3 Berbatov

Thats unreal, we will be the greatest attacking united team in years if we get berba:)

****** rem thats goals and assist put together*******
we MIGHT have the best 3 players in the prem for setting up and scoring goals!

#399 ·
Garnet said:
Huntelaar is known as a "fox in a box" striker

we are looking for strikers that display excellent close control and dribbling ability to pierce through opposition defences manutd is known specially for their counter attacks and ber is exactly the type of striker that we are looking at.
Dutch league is totally different from the epl they are somehow similar to the italians kinda slow tempo.Epl is totally different their famous for their speed.

And huntelaar can't dribble for nuts lol
Hi mate. You disappeared from the forum as soon as last season ended. Lol.

Perhaps you have missed some fireworks here on Huntelaar/Berbatov debate. I disagree with your arguments for Berbatov as The Choice. But looking at the turn of events and that he is the only name left still linked to us, there is really nothing left for me to argue about too... :(

Give me some time to get over things... :) ;)

#400 ·
i admit it - even i'm excited....i sure hope he won't be a big money flop...but wouldn't it be smarter to buy huntelaar ...he's younger and it would be as investing in the future...
funny when i remember i suggested berbatoy in official united forum while he was still at bayer and the guys overthere had some doubts....we could have gotten him for peanuts back then...but hey -it's what we do actually...spending big and winning trophies - and i heckin love it !!!!

#401 ·
abojodeh said:
the 2 points you said
"berbatov scored 23 with tottenham but with us he will score more"
and
"berbatov dont rely on his pace so he have 5 years to shine"
this two points work with santa cruz
he will definitely score more with us
pls his goal per game ratio is higher and blackburn mid is worse than tottanhams

so this means RSC is better for us and ccchhhhheeeeeeeeeaaaapppppeeeeerrrrrrrr ;) :)
But Berba will not slow down our attack, Santa Cruz would make us more 1 dimensional, plyus the fact that he just isn't as good a player as Berbatov (all round)

Plus Santa Cruz has a bad injury record, which knowing our record would mean a lifetime in the phisio room for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.