Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 142 Posts

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lets continue on the Berbatov debate
as we are in a new year and have reached the half way stage of the season.

I believe he is one of our most important players and tonight's game at Derby
highlighted that fact. In his last 3 games he has scored a winner, set up a winner,
and then ran the show at Saints. He is finally starting to settle and get used to the
players around him. I think he is vital to our future successes.

Id give him a 7/10 so far in his United career but I know there is a lot more to come.
Funnily enough he has 7 goals and 7 assists to his name so far.

What are your thoughts on Berba after half a season?

and do you think he is one of our most important players?

·
U N I T E D United Are The Team For Me
186 Posts
I've rated Berba since the day he joined Spurs. Known player from Bayer Leverkusen and I do believe he is a great signing for United. He offers everything that a striker has. Brilliant in the air, Agility and ability to make things out of nothing is top class. Looking forward to seeing him upfront on Sunday, if Fergie plays him which I think he will

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts
His passing vs Southampton was incredible. They showed some of his moments on MUTV the other day and it was a joy to watch.

I think he'll get better and better as the season goes on. His touch is easily the best in the Premiership. There was a moment the other day where he just stood there, held off the defender and brought down the ball as easy as anything.

There's an element of class when he plays which is a joy to watch.

My one criticism is that he could shoot more.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Wow,
Another chance to give some credit to one of my favourite players :)

and do you think he is one of our most important players? - Yes :) Today we lacked his creativity.

I will also give him 7/10 rating about his performance so far.
But I will give him about 5/10 if compare his performance with his standards.
I think he is vital to our future successes. - Couldn't agree more. He looks so good playing as a midfielder. Imagine what will happen when he goes to his favourite position at the top of our attack. We just need a good left winger who knows how and when to give him the ball.

My criticism is that he could shoot and dribble more. And to be more selfish sometimes.

·
Pz
2,062 Posts
I thought he was soo lazy against the saints and should have shot a few times when he had another touch instead but id rather him in the team than tevez if he is trying because he has more creativity but also have the option of tevez too!

I am sure there is more to come from berbatov though!! There has to be! :cool:

pz

·
Registered
17 Posts
he may not be a workhorse like tevez and rooney but his skill and control is amazing made up we got him in august still am think he will cause terry and carvahlo a problem sunday. CLASS!

·
hates City
2,913 Posts
chris99 said:
he may not be a workhorse like tevez and rooney but his skill and control is amazing made up we got him in august still am think he will cause terry and carvahlo a problem sunday. CLASS!
Yes. And with rio and evra back we will be a different team on sunday

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
His touch andpassing are phenomenal, but I'm still waiting on the goals.

He got an assist versus Liverpool and one against Chelsea for us, so i'm hoping he can improve on the by scoring a goal this Sunday.

Having witnessed his sublime skill I'm slowly being won over by him and we look a classier side with him on the pitch.

·
Banned
2,730 Posts
I have to say he hasnt blown me away yet but I could see we missed him last night so he is starting to have a impact on the team .

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts
A United director and elder statesman of the English game who has written two majestic volumes of an autobiography with James Lawton (the latest is My England Years), Charlton is most loquacious when his gaze falls on the Old Trafford pitch below our vantage point facing the Stretford End. His discourse on the complicatedly gifted Berbatov is a revealing masterclass in analysis by a former deep-roving forward who himself struck 249 times in 758 appearances for United and still holds the England goalscoring record of 49.

Studying the many nuances of individual talent is almost an academic discipline at Old Trafford and soon Charlton is off and running: "I'm still learning about Berbatov. I watched him at Tottenham and I thought he was in charge of his own destiny, that he made the right decisions. But playing for Man United is a bit more demanding. You're expected not just to do all the great things you're good at but also your share of the dirty work - which is chasing back to regain possession, helping your defenders if you're close enough to help.

"Berbatov is a one-off. First of all I was very critical of him, to myself, thinking, 'Look at that. As soon as he loses the ball he stops running and starts walking, as if to say "somebody else'll do it".' And I thought, 'He must be a good player if he can afford to do that'.

"It's been gradual. In these last few games I've understood his really great skill, his awareness, and his physical strength at holding people off. Not only that, when he passes he always makes it easy for you. He always gives it perfectly. Everything is so, so precise. Add to that, he's got his control and when he gets round the goal he wants to score.

"I've changed my mind since I first saw him. He's a massive talent. Really. And he's in the right place. If he can perform on a regular basis he's in the right place here because it's just what the fans here like and the people at Man United expect.

"He's frustrating sometimes. Instinctively I think if I've lost the ball I want to chase after it. I want to make up for the mistake I've made. Maybe like George Best you've got to accept him for what he is. Cantona had that arrogance. But he did his fair share of the work. I'd never complain about Cantona in that respect. He was sensational, and he had an influence. Given that bit of time and space that Berbatov seems to be finding now, he'll get better and better."

The conversation is really about what constitutes a Manchester United player: that special compound of physical courage, resilience, insatiable zeal. Berbatov, like Eric Cantona before, exists on the borderline where maverick instincts meet the collective will.

"He realises where he is now and it's big," he says. "You can eat, sleep and breathe this place when you're on that pitch. He potentially can be one of the great, great players. He has a touch and an awareness that are fantastic. He keeps people away from him so they don't interfere with his plan. He'll try impossible balls. The general run-of-the-mill pass isn't difficult. But he's a step further on. He works for you. You don't have to think. I'd have enjoyed playing with him, but I'd have been arguing with him. A lot. If you've got people running backward and forward and you're responsible [for them having to do it] it's not right. But he's learned. You're not allowed many mistakes, and you can't be casual. You can't be casual.

"I've criticised him, inside myself, and thought that for the money we paid for him we ought to be getting a little bit more. But you can see now where he's going."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2...bobby-charlton

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
TheManc said:
"It's been gradual. In these last few games I've understood his really great skill, his awareness, and his physical strength at holding people off. Not only that, when he passes he always makes it easy for you. He always gives it perfectly. Everything is so, so precise. Add to that, he's got his control and when he gets round the goal he wants to score.

But you can see now where he's going."
great article TM. and when Sir Bobby speaks everyone listens.
I think the bit above sums it up so far.
Exciting times ahead for sure.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
well...he's a great player, he lacks speed but he's got great tehnique and great passing. the goal he scored today is his type of goals so i hope the team will play him some more balls like this because he's more efficient than when he goes down to receive the ball and create, he's a slow player, not for creation, but for finishing

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Interesting that Sir Bobby also thought he wasn't putting in enough legwork, especially when his mistake led to a situation where people had to track back. Also interesting that he thinks for the price, Berba should be giving more output.

I think so too, but he is becoming increasingly important for the team. He had a great chance in the first half and if he had struck the ball sweeter it would have been in theback of the net. I think if he keeps playing the way he has, but starts putting away those chances like that one tonight AND starts doing some dirsty work, he'll be a very classy player.

Still has some work to do though.

1 - 20 of 142 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.