Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Berbatov v Cantona

Lets talk of potential similarities between Berba and King Eric?

Could Berbatov develop a similar role, playing in a similar style achieve similar status in terms of his performance and contribution ?

I feel if Berbatov can get anywhere near Cantona's influence, it'll be a great achievement already. Cantona had a stand out presence about him which made him unique.

On the playing field he was a catalyst which transformed United into champions. I very much doubt Berbatov will ever match the character, charisma, and give the presence what Cantona gave the team, in that sense he was unique.

BUT Berbatov comes with a bigger reputation then eric had but he made his legacy on the park and as Berb said, his time is now. I reckon Berbatov will be our catalyst in europe where as Cantona did it mainly for us in the league.

I think he'll give us more confidence to play our game in europe

I have no doubt he will be a success but how can you compare a legend against someone who has yet to kick a ball for us in a meaningfull match. Time will tell eh ?

Abo may agree , Its an insult to Cantona to compare him to Berbatov (now) ..Berbatov has a long way to go......

·
Registered
601 Posts
even if berbatov plays well for united, he will still not be compared to the charachter of cantona. If berba is going to be remebered then it will be for the same footballing style as cantona had on the pitch. but i think berba will be a success and he will no doubt entertain on the pitch like cantona did. If they were to be compared then it is because they have eyes in the back of there heads.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I think Berba wiil be a great player for United, but will never get close to Cantona. Considering we payed 1 million for Cantona, and 31 for Berbatov, I think he will have do something very special to be compared to Cantona.

·
Proto-Hipster
46,959 Posts
there is nothing similar between them
Cantona can break the whole defence with just one pass, score from anywhere, assist dozen of goals,stronger shots, better finishing, king character

Berbatov is probably just taller

·
23,699 Posts
Hope it is not another futile attempt to sell Berbatov as a Cantona again, for Berbatov will always be Berbatov and Cantona will always be Cantona. Think we had that covered already during the saga of debates/arguments/'squabbles'/'quarrels' over Huntelaar vs Berbatov.

In any case, all eyes will be @@ing him of course come 13th September.

·
Im not fat... im sex.
8,817 Posts
agrrr please dont compare the man to cantona.
two reasons why
1. cantona was a truely gifted footballer he had magic in his feet, he had influance to lift a team and drag them though to win out a scrappy match, somthing berbatov dont have.
2. if we compare we will expect far to much from berbatov cause he will never be in the same standard as cantona in my eyes.

i accept they both have good first touches and good shooting and a ****ey swagger
but cantona had the persona, the arrogence, the confedance, the abilty, the showmanship, he had everything.
were as berbatov has some silky smooth moves and a good touch but dosnt have any chance of stepping into cantona feet
nor should he be compared.
NEVER EVER COMPARED

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Lets keep the comparisons till later when Berba has at least played a fair bit of games...we don't want to get carried away like the scousers now do we ;)

·
Im not fat... im sex.
8,817 Posts
sparkic said:
Lets keep the comparisons till later when Berba has at least played a fair bit of games...we don't want to get carried away like the scousers now do we ;)
here here well said mate

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
As someone, who had the privilege of seeing Eric Cantona in action, I always cringe whenever somebody is likened to the great king.

However, most of the time, they are likened to ASPECTS of Le Roi. Not Le Roi himself.

When Sir Alex says that Tevez has that Cantona-like quality of scoring late and vital goals, he means exactly that. The quality Carlos shares with Eric is that he scores late goals.

So I cringe when someone is said to be like Eric Cantona and not share an attribute.

There is only one Eric Cantona. He had so much imagination on the pitch that it was a joy to watch. He would do the unexpected.

For a kid following the prem in 93, Man Utd brought colour to football which was more like a world of black n white.

And the main artists were Ryan Giggs and Eric Cantona. They really made the premier league colourful, entertained and inspired.

I've watched Berba for two seasons now and I can understand what people like Gary Pallister or Les Ferdinand mean when they say he reminds them of Cantona. But it' just that. He reminds them - there are aspects of his game that remind them of Cantona, but he's not Cantona.

Maybe the way he moves, maybe his ability to score seemeingly impossible goals like against Middlesbrough and Arsenal, but he doesn't have the imagination, trickery and ability conjure up magic like Cantona.

Berbatov will be a hit no matter what, but he is no Cantona.

Based on Charisma alone, he will never be like Eric Cantona.

Some aspects of his game might remind people of Eric Cantona, but he is no Eric Cantona nor will there ever be another Eric Cantona.

·
Registered
310 Posts
RedForceRising said:
As someone, who had the privilege of seeing Eric Cantona in action, I always cringe whenever somebody is likened to the great king.

However, most of the time, they are likened to ASPECTS of Le Roi. Not Le Roi himself.

When Sir Alex says that Tevez has that Cantona-like quality of scoring late and vital goals, he means exactly that. The quality Carlos shares with Eric is that he scores late goals.

So I cringe when someone is said to be like Eric Cantona and not share an attribute.

There is only one Eric Cantona. He had so much imagination on the pitch that it was a joy to watch. He would do the unexpected.

For a kid following the prem in 93, Man Utd brought colour to football which was more like a world of black n white.

And the main artists were Ryan Giggs and Eric Cantona. They really made the premier league colourful, entertained and inspired.

I've watched Berba for two seasons now and I can understand what people like Gary Pallister or Les Ferdinand mean when they say he reminds them of Cantona. But it' just that. He reminds them - there are aspects of his game that remind them of Cantona, but he's not Cantona.

Maybe the way he moves, maybe his ability to score seemeingly impossible goals like against Middlesbrough and Arsenal, but he doesn't have the imagination, trickery and ability conjure up magic like Cantona.

Berbatov will be a hit no matter what, but he is no Cantona.

Based on Charisma alone, he will never be like Eric Cantona.

Some aspects of his game might remind people of Eric Cantona, but he is no Eric Cantona nor will there ever be another Eric Cantona.

Agree with you 100% RedForceRising.

Eric's Charisma was amazing.

People also forget what Eric did for the youth we had at the time. When Eric came
to us the way training went was you went out, did your two hours training in the
morning and afternoon and went home or did what ever. This was just the way
everyone was. Then Eric arrived and training would finish and he would grab a
bag of balls and ask the youth goalie to stand in goals and spend an EXTRA hour
or so on the pitch practising free kicks, his shooting, his control or anything that
he thought might improve his game. He was doing this when Beckham, Scholes,
Butt, The Nevilles and so on were in the youth team and were looking at this. He
made them realise, "hey if i really wanna make it this is the kinda work involved".
King Eric nearly single handily changed the mental attitude of the players at
United. He was the one all those players looked up to.

This is a Legacy that he left us and no other player will ever have that much of
an impact on United as a club so I don't think any player can ever be compared
to that. Only in the way like RedForceRising says that players willl have similar
attributes but there is only one Eric Cantona!

·
23,699 Posts
RedMurph7 said:

I second that.:)

People also forget what Eric did for the youth we had at the time. When Eric came
to us the way training went was you went out, did your two hours training in the
or so on the pitch practising free kicks, his shooting, his control or anything that
Butt, The Nevilles and so on were in the youth team and were looking at this. He
made them realise, "hey if i really wanna make it this is the kinda work involved".

Reckon Berbatov will put in some more time after the training? :D

Most unlikely.

This is a Legacy that he left us and no other player will ever have that much of
to that. Only in the way like RedForceRising says that players willl have similar

And furthermore, Cantona came and inspired a bunch of youngsters about to break through. But Berbatov came into a team of experienced internationals. He has to do more than what Cantona did to make these seasoned players wide-eyed.
Ditto.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
RedMurph7 said:

Man, that is a great point!

I'd forgotten about that. I remember reading the offical man utd mag and David Beckham said exactly that. That it was Eric who first hung around after practise and that he picked up on that and used to practise his free-kicks after everyone had left, cos he use to see Eric doing it.

The only Berba wil do is hang around for a fag.. :)

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
i think berbatov is just the player to inspire this utd team to further trophies and fantasy football,however there is only one cantona and no player has got near the magestic displays this man treated the english game too over 6 seasons,truly a genius he had his flaws but thats cantona style for you.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts