Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think fergie should just cut his losses at the end of the season and sell this guy. He is clearly not Manchester United standard. Good player but has just brought back the stale style we had with van nistelrooy. I personally fear we will not win the league this season (hope i am wrong). Fergie should have spent an extra 5-10 million or Benzema or Huntelaar. its not a knee jerk reaction but we never looked like scoring tonight. Bring back Rooney/Tevez partnership.

·
has been served
2,947 Posts
stubie123 said:
I think fergie should just cut his losses at the end of the season and sell this guy. He is clearly not Manchester United standard. Good player but has just brought back the stale style we had with van nistelrooy. I personally fear we will not win the league this season (hope i am wrong). Fergie should have spent an extra 5-10 million or Benzema or Huntelaar. its not a knee jerk reaction but we never looked like scoring tonight. Bring back Rooney/Tevez partnership.
Yes it is. Quality player who needs time to adjust. Now stop posting silly things.

·
I'm so gorgeous they want to arrest me
8,772 Posts
2 things wrong with your post.

1. What was wrong with Van Nistelrooy. He is a legend.

2. Huntelaar is not that good. He scores alot of goals against teams that are Championship standard

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
there was nothing wrong with van nistelrooy from a goalscoring point a view, but the team's overall style from 2004-06 was flat. i just fear we may have gone back to those days instead of playing the fast flowing, goalscoring foorball that won us a double last season.

·
Registered
353 Posts
stubie123 said:
how much have u seen of Huntelaar???? the guy is playin in a 2nd rate league and wouldnt tie berbatovs boots u fool!

·
Banned
2,730 Posts
stubie123 said:
there was nothing wrong with van nistelrooy from a goalscoring point a view, but the team's overall style from 2004-06 was flat. i just fear we may have gone back to those days instead of playing the fast flowing, goalscoring foorball that won us a double last season.

Get what you mean the style between 2004-2006 was awfull we put everthing into van nistelrooy takin nothing away from van nis as he is a legend .

A total legend !!!!!!

berb will come good I really hope he does anyway !!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
red dave said:
Get what you mean the style between 2004-2006 was awfull we put everthing into van nistelrooy takin nothing away from van nis as he is a legend .

A total legend !!!!!!

berb will come good I really hope he does anyway !!

The key word there is hope, i would like him to come good for the benefit of himself and the team, but after 6 goals in 3 months i dont think it represents the money we paid for him.

·
Banned
2,730 Posts
stubie123 said:
The key word there is hope, i would like him to come good for the benefit of himself and the team, but after 6 goals in 3 months i dont think it represents the money we paid for him.

I agree with that !!

30 million for a striker you want more goals

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
Well, nothing about Berbatovs performance, but I don't really think hes worth the amount we paid.

I also think that when we have Berbatov in the team we play to a slower tempo and I prefer us when he play to a much higher tempo. In all honesty, I think the Berbatov signing was aimed at the Champions League.

I don't think hes the answer in the striking department. However, I will give him time to prove his worth.

·
There's Only One Darren Fletcher!
11,978 Posts
he needs time. Take a look at anelka in Chelsea -- he didnt score as much in his first season but hes baging em in this season

·
Stretford Ender
2,270 Posts
stubie123 said:
teams overall style and van nistelrooy was to blame. this was a time when we missed scholes thro the eye injury, we signed some tosh in miller, djemba, kleberson and rio went missing with his drugs ban.

Van Nistelrooy had a lean spell like most strikers do and that is obviously where it get noticed more. No goals = blame the strikers.

It was they call in the game as a transitional phase. I felt however Ruud was sold due to his attitude in his final games and for being benched for crucial games.

I would have loved to have seen Ruud in the current team. He thrived on Beckham's service from wide and I shudder to think what he would be like with our World Player of the Year providing the service now because the Ronaldo now definitely aint the Ronaldo of 2005-06.

·
Thank you Sir Alex
5,528 Posts
stubie123 said:

My God, some people just love to make Berbatov a scapegoat for our poor performances. He is not United standard? Yeah right, so you think a proven Premiership goalscorer like Berbatov isn't united quality while a player unproven in the big stage like Huntelaar is United quality?

And I don't have the strength nor the desire to debate Van Nistelrooy's influence in our team. Funny thing is, you said you didn't like Van Nistelrooy's style of play and said that we should've bought Huntelaar? Wtf? Have you ever seen Huntelaar play? He is an exact carbon copy of RVN.

Personally i wanted us to sign Huntelaar. Because i wanted a fox in the box player who plays like RVN. But Fergie wanted someone who takes part in the build up play and create goalscoring opportunities for other players. So we have Berbatov and i am happy with his contributions so far. Why do you keep bitching about Huntelaar? He is a R.Madrid player now. They have Huntelaar and we have Berbatov. So accept it and move on.

And for the record, Rooney and Berbatov partnership is much better than the Rooney and Tevez partnership. Take a look at the poll about this topic.

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
I love Berbatov but I never wanted him from the start. I would've preferred Fergie to keep Rossi.

Or at least play Welbeck & Manucho a lot more instead of Berbatov.

·
Registered
734 Posts
berba is a class act, some people are definitely being too harsh on him, he can obviously bang in the goals if just given time and good things come to those who wait :) and RVN come on in fairness berba can do things on the ball that rvn could never do its just rvn was extremely good at popping into the right place and banging in the goal, they are 2 completely different players and both class acts but i for 1 am still happy to have berba.

·
23,699 Posts
Fair enough point that perhaps Berbatov needs some more time to adjust and is probably worth the wait for he is indeed class with his touches, control and some awesome passes that he can conjure.

BUT just to throw in the spanners.....

1. Isn't one of the reasons why the majority here preferred him over Huntelaar in the summer being that he is more established, and already tried and tested in EPL? And it should be really nothing new for him to play against the likes of Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal etc after having spent two seasons in England already prior to joining us. Then again, some may be quick to also point out that he needs more time to assimilate himself into our system of play. That I would have a little reservation. I mean, he should be hitting new heights easier and sooner by playing with better players than Spurs, isn't it? No?

2. Is he really worth 30.75m and all the fuss in the summer from what we have seen thus far? I know some may also quickly point out that the price included some 'mark-ups' by an aggreived Spurs. True. But the fuss also included our willingness to pay over the top for him, isn't it? So are we truly happy with the price we paid for what we have seen so far? Not for me in all honesty.

3. Another reason touted for his purchase in the summer was he is a big match player and could inspire us, especially the frontline. Nothing so far in our big matches proved that. Yesterday was another disappointment. I expected him to be really charged and fired up to prove a point with the hostile crowd booing him with his every touch, something players normally do when they return to their old clubs. Instead he appeared intimidated, disappeared and totally not himself. Some of his passing was really bad, just like the rest of the team, in all fairness. But hey, this is also the guy that is supposed to inspire us to greater heights from last season, isn't it? A big match player? Not convinced yet.

4. One of the objections in the summer was that he disappears along with the team and is only on song when the team is on song, a counter point to those who went as far as touting him as a player who can win the game for us a la Cantona. He has yet to disprove that surely.

5. Another was that he is not the fox in the box or the typical clincial finisher we need to perfectly complement the work rate of Rooney and Tevez. It does seem thus far that he drops back as much as Rooney and Tevez when I was really hoping he would have exerted more presence and influence in the box. On the contrary too, I actually thought with Rooney pushed upfront and him slightly behind like in some part of the Citeh game was the most potent I have witnessed this season. And yes, he is not as clinical as some touted too (the finishing has nothing to do with getting assimilated in the team for you either have the nerves to score or not in the given circumstance).

But don't get me wrong; I am not bashing Berbatov for the sake of wanting to bash him. I am always more concerned about United than a Berbatov or a Ronaldo or a Rooney for that matter. And I am just speaking from what is before our eyes thus far, for whatever reasons, directly or indirectly attributed. I still hold the same hopes and aspirations like the rest about him that he will justify all the monies and the fuss incurred.

But I maintain my stand as per my exchange with TheManc that if our frontline is not actually enriched from last season ie the strike force scoring more goals than last season (remember the entire forward line could only muster as much as a Ronaldo last season) or that he can't contribute to the goal tally personally as widely expected from such established and seasoned striker, then I am sorry he has not actually improved the squad.

Afterall, at the end of the day, an assessment has to be justified by quantitative and not qualitative evaluations alone. All the oohs and aahs during a game with each single touch and control would count for nought on the podium at the end of the season if the end product is not good enough.

Let's see what happens for the rest of the season....

·
Registered
601 Posts
i dont think its anyones fault, we just didnt have that final pass, berba made some runs that he could have scroed a solo goal but it wasnt our day, its still early and its a good job all the other teams havent done well, we just need chelsea to draw or loose

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
i'm not the biggest fan of berba at all, but honestly give the guy a chance and some time, on the pitch i support the guy. if hes still not performing come the end of the season and nothing has changed then look at it as a problem that needs to be sorted, but otherwise get behind him and hope the coaching staff get him into the united mindset and playing like a true red

1 - 20 of 115 Posts