Manchester United Talk banner
21 - 40 of 115 Posts

·
Banned
27,712 Posts
give the lad a chance he could be a united ledgend giving the time! he doesnt score 46 goals for spurs by accident and then suddenly become crap overnight! yer expecting a bit too much ouuta him at the moment its a big step up frm spurs to man untied in irness gonna take him awile to adjust from been the star of spurs to beign one of many here!

as for his goalscoring hes got 6 goals and 6 assists not bad isit? i do agree though hes not the goalscorer we need but you cant put it down to him for our lack of goals how could ya? theres 11 players out there

id like him to stay up top abit more instead of coming out and looking for the ball because whn he does that theis nooe up top because tevez and rooney always drift around the place looking for the ball too! we need a striker who plays on the shoulder of the last defender a la owen rvn agbonlahor!

but at the end of the day what a pointless thread this is! hes only been here for a couple of months get behind him and the team and if at the end of the season you still feel da same way then come back and start the thread again untill then KEEP THE FAITH!!

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
versa said:
Fair enough point that perhaps Berbatov needs some more time to adjust and is probably worth the wait for he is indeed class with his touches, control and some awesome passes that he can conjure.

BUT just to throw in the spanners.....

1. Isn't one of the reasons why the majority here preferred him over Huntelaar in the summer being that he is more established, and already tried and tested in EPL? And it should be really nothing new for him to play against the likes of Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal etc after having spent two seasons in England already prior to joining us. Then again, some may be quick to also point out that he needs more time to assimilate himself into our system of play. That I would have a little reservation. I mean, he should be hitting new heights easier and sooner by playing with better players than Spurs, isn't it? No?

2. Is he really worth 30.75m and all the fuss in the summer from what we have seen thus far? I know some may also quickly point out that the price included some 'mark-ups' by an aggreived Spurs. True. But the fuss also included our willingness to pay over the top for him, isn't it? So are we truly happy with the price we paid for what we have seen so far? Not for me in all honesty.

3. Another reason touted for his purchase in the summer was he is a big match player and could inspire us, especially the frontline. Nothing so far in our big matches proved that. Yesterday was another disappointment. I expected him to be really charged and fired up to prove a point with the hostile crowd booing him with his every touch, something players normally do when they return to their old clubs. Instead he appeared intimidated, disappeared and totally not himself. Some of his passing was really bad, just like the rest of the team, in all fairness. But hey, this is also the guy that is supposed to inspire us to greater heights from last season, isn't it? A big match player? Not convinced yet.

4. One of the objections in the summer was that he disappears along with the team and is only on song when the team is on song, a counter point to those who went as far as touting him as a player who can win the game for us a la Cantona. He has yet to disprove that surely.

5. Another was that he is not the fox in the box or the typical clincial finisher we need to perfectly complement the work rate of Rooney and Tevez. It does seem thus far that he drops back as much as Rooney and Tevez when I was really hoping he would have exerted more presence and influence in the box. On the contrary too, I actually thought with Rooney pushed upfront and him slightly behind like in some part of the Citeh game was the most potent I have witnessed this season. And yes, he is not as clinical as some touted too (the finishing has nothing to do with getting assimilated in the team for you either have the nerves to score or not in the given circumstance).

But don't get me wrong; I am not bashing Berbatov for the sake of wanting to bash him. I am always more concerned about United than a Berbatov or a Ronaldo or a Rooney for that matter. And I am just speaking from what is before our eyes thus far, for whatever reasons, directly or indirectly attributed. I still hold the same hopes and aspirations like the rest about him that he will justify all the monies and the fuss incurred.

But I maintain my stand as per my exchange with TheManc that if our frontline is not actually enriched from last season ie the strike force scoring more goals than last season (remember the entire forward line could only muster as much as a Ronaldo last season) or that he can't contribute to the goal tally personally as widely expected from such established and seasoned striker, then I am sorry he has not actually improved the squad.

Afterall, at the end of the day, an assessment has to be justified by quantitative and not qualitative evaluations alone. All the oohs and aahs during a game with each single touch and control would count for nought on the podium at the end of the season if the end product is not good enough.

Let's see what happens for the rest of the season....
Thats a great post, and you've covered most of my concerns.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
trikam patel said:
i dont think its anyones fault
I think that is a very accurate statement.

Berbatov simply does not fit the mould of our recent attacking style. Our strikers/attacking mf'ders have been virtually interchangeable - they all have speed (some more than others), guile and can show up in any position in the attacking third. Importantly, they work tirelessly to get the ball back when it is lost.

Berbatov, on the other hand, has little or no speed, likes to play at the edge of the box with his back to goal and turn on defenders to get a telling shot/pass. He does not have the necessary tools (either mental or physical) to work hard and hassle defenders.

We are clearly struggling to accommodate his style.

It remains to be seen whether he will fit in, but I think it's way too early to put him in the veron category.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
manutd004 said:
We shouldn't have to accommodate his style. He should be accommodating ours.
You're absolutely right!

But it is clearly not going to happen. He is simply not the same 'interchangeable' type of player as rooney, ronaldo, tevez, park, scholes, giggs, nani....so our style has to change to accommodate him.

Otherwise he will be a waste of space, and a ridiculous waste of money.

·
TROLOLOLOL
4,076 Posts
To call for Berbatovs head at this stage in the season is beyond ridiculous to me.We had a bad game as a TEAM at Spurs and the blame is being pressed to him.The man is sheer class and once it clicks,which it will,you will see why SAF and United were so keen to get him.We are having a bit of tinker with the side and it will take time for it all to click.Im glad SAF doesnt take the time to read this dribble as he will laugh his little red nose off....

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
Berbatov has never really been a consistent week in week out player, he's a hot and cold type player, but when he's hot, he's genius.

We've seen moments from him, but unfortunately he hasn't been able to go on a consistent run of playing well. A number of factors have contributed. Our squad hasn't adapted to having him in the team, they don't know the height to put the crosses in etc. It's difficult to have a new striker in the squad. Also, Rooney's had bad spells, which obviously contribute to the entire team's performance. I'm not blaming Rooney, but I'm just mentioning it.

I'm willing to give him until the end of the season at least. Remember how long it took Tevez to get going for West Ham?

Don't compare him to Veron either. That's stupid.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
So noone agrees that man utd might as well fold. Ok how about this. We sell Rooney Ronaldo Tevez Anderson Nani Vidic and Ferdinand because they are obviously restricting what Berbatov can do. Then we buy a load of Tottenham players because he played well for them?

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
Toybos said:
So noone agrees that man utd might as well fold. Ok how about this. We sell Rooney Ronaldo Tevez Anderson Nani Vidic and Ferdinand because they are obviously restricting what Berbatov can do. Then we buy a load of Tottenham players because he played well for them?
I think we've solved the problem of where your missing posts went to anyways ! :rolleyes:

·
Stretford Ender
2,270 Posts
if we were like this with evra and vidic, they would have never remained at the club. Their first few months were terrible and had a lot of people asking was it fergie's time to go. The rest as they say is history.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
Are you having a laugh? berba is quality 6 goals and 6 assists isn't great after 20 games but its not bad considering he's probably still settling into manchester and getting to know his new team mates!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi lads.
According to my observations since 2000 over Dimitar Berbatov's play, he has always played better during the second part of the season and in the last 4-5 years has the most scored goals exactly after NY and the number was always around 20. Don't be in a rush to blame him for everything. The whole team should improve it's play.
And meanwhile - stay cool.
:cool:

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
rooneyNo10 said:
Are you having a laugh? berba is quality 6 goals and 6 assists isn't great after 20 games but its not bad considering he's probably still settling into manchester and getting to know his new team mates!
But the problem is that it's just not HIS production that you have to look at. It is the lack of team goals that is the real problem. When you compare last year, when we scored for fun, to this year, the one major difference is the introduction of Berbatov.

It's time to give the Tev/Rooney partnership a few games.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Can we come to the conclusion after a bad season for berbatov that he is heading the same way as veron. I think the signs are there that fergie may well sell him due to the fact he has started so many games on the bench, i think sir alex lacks some confidence in this guy and rightly so.

We shud do everything thing possible to land Benzema and keep Tevez.

21 - 40 of 115 Posts