Manchester United Talk banner
101 - 115 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
For Gods sake - he played almost EVERY GAME last season until near the end. How much of an extended run does he need? The prem League is where you learn to fit in - not the summer runarounds. Its not like he's a young kid just learning the ropes. He's going on 30!!!

·
Berbatov>Tevez
11,076 Posts
No, it hasn’t been the season he had hoped for, but still overall it has been a good season. Criticised for being lazy, Berbatov is nothing like that, but instead if a workman like player who has the ability to link up play, and also be able to succeed create and score goals.

He may have just nine league goals to his name, but when Berbatov arrived at Old Trafford, scoring goals was not his only asset. In fact, after Robin van Persie, the Bulgarian forward has assisted the most goals (10) in the Premier League. He even finished fourth in the overall Actim index (official player rating system of the EPL) with 586 points, with his 652 passes the eighth most in the league.

His main strengths include his work rate, his finishing at times, passing, link up play, skill on and off the ball and tracking back. Berbatov main weakness, may be his composure in front of goal meaning he doesn’t get as much goals as he could have.

Ratings: Workrate (8 out of 10), skill (9), passing (8), finishing (7), speed (6).

Season Analysis: Dimitar Berbatov ManUtd24

don't you find the bits in red controversial

·
Member of the Year 2012 & 2013
43,914 Posts
No, it hasn’t been the season he had hoped for, but still overall it has been a good season. Criticised for being lazy, Berbatov is nothing like that, but instead if a workman like player who has the ability to link up play, and also be able to succeed create and score goals.

He may have just nine league goals to his name, but when Berbatov arrived at Old Trafford, scoring goals was not his only asset. In fact, after Robin van Persie, the Bulgarian forward has assisted the most goals (10) in the Premier League. He even finished fourth in the overall Actim index (official player rating system of the EPL) with 586 points, with his 652 passes the eighth most in the league.

His main strengths include his work rate, his finishing at times, passing, link up play, skill on and off the ball and tracking back. Berbatov main weakness, may be his composure in front of goal meaning he doesn’t get as much goals as he could have.

Ratings: Workrate (8 out of 10), skill (9), passing (8), finishing (7), speed (6).

I have to say guys, but you know he IS NOT Veron - like in ANY WAY, when CROoney is sticking up for him lol!

Credit to you CRO, you may prefer tevez, but at least your reasoning with logic when some [email protected] thinks he'll sell berba after 1 year! well done CRO, your honesty is appreciated

7,375 Posts
Well, it's on the goalscorers assits thread, we've scored more goals all together this season than last season.

PS I didn't think Berba would be a fox in the box type 30 goals + striker? some people did but i guess they're naive
is assume you are not talking for the premier league only but for the goal we scored in all competition right?

·
has been served
2,947 Posts

What the hell CROoney, that was actually a well thought out, well backed up, TRUE arguement. +1 you get props for that.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts

I have to say guys, but you know he IS NOT Veron - like in ANY WAY, when CROoney is sticking up for him lol!

Credit to you CRO, you may prefer tevez, but at least your reasoning with logic when some [email protected] thinks he'll sell berba after 1 year! well done CRO, your honesty is appreciated
CROoney only wrote the bold bit . the other part he just copied and pasted from the link he gave in that post . so that's not really his saying.

·
Berbatov>Tevez
11,076 Posts
CROoney only wrote the bold bit . the other part he just copied and pasted from the link he gave in that post . so that's not really his saying.
true, but i felt it should be said as i agree that he hasn't been THAT bad

you can't take away his assists or goals he scored...

that's not to say that i think he was a neccessary purchase or that we actually need him, but i can't argue with what's said in that post...

that's why i posted the link

·
Member of the Year 2012 & 2013
43,914 Posts
true, but i felt it should be said as i agree that he hasn't been THAT bad

you can't take away his assists or goals he scored...

that's not to say that i think he was a neccessary purchase or that we actually need him, but i can't argue with what's said in that post...

that's why i posted the link
well you are being honest, that's the important bit

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
So... one season on: hit or miss!?

In his defence...
It was his first season at the club, in which he had no pre-season time to gel with his team-mates. He's been isolated at times, and had to drop deep at times. He's scored some goals, and put in some good performances. Also, Fergie has rotated the team this season more than any other season, and we do lack a playmaker. I think he needs to have the right balls to him, which accomadate his trademark first touch. See: Carrick's sublime pass in the FA Cup vs. Spurs.

Also, he's under a lot of pressure. I think you have to make the debate of who is to blame for his apparent 'bad' first season. The fans vs. him... I mean, it's both. He hasn't played up to the standard we expected, true, but he was our sole signing, we pinned all our hopes on him, even knowing his reputation. That's what annoyed me about the fans' reaction. We all knew he was a sulky SOB from his time at Spurs and Leverkusen, so why was everyone seemingly so shocked?

HOWEVER...
Inconceivable amounts of pressure, squad rotation, but most of all, inconsistency, have lead to his down-fall. I don't think he's the sort of player who can grab the team by the scruff of the neck and pull out a fantastic solo performance either. He plays well when the team plays well. Example: Spurs 5-2.

So, he's neither a hit nor a miss. Somewhere in between. The jury's still out.

Is he comparable to Veron? No.

·
Registered
406 Posts
People need to ask themselves two questions I feel before they enter into any debate regarding Berbatov/Veron.

a) If a free signing came in and contributed with 28 goals (14 goals and 14 assists), would he be called a flop or a bad signing ?

b) If the answer was no, then does any player who cost whatever money have anything to do with his price tag ?

There is absolutely no question that Berbatov couldve done better, much better in fact. But the talk of him being a flop/having a disasterous season is way over the top. Is he capable of doing more ? Yes. Was the season a let down ? Perhaps. Should we get behind him and give him time before we judge him properly ? Absolutely.

101 - 115 of 115 Posts