Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought this might be a good debate.. in my opinion in Berba, Rooney, Tevez and Ronaldo I dont think there has ever been such a depth of attacking talent seen in a European side before..

Who else do you think has/had immense attacking options

Lazio I thought had a great (v expensive) attack once in Crespo, Salas, Inaghi and Claudio Lopez

I suppose Fat Ron Raul, Figo and Zidane were pretty impressive for a short period, and Barca beleived they had the best when Messi, Ronaldinho and Etoo were all on fire

Liverpool might not be too bad when Torres, Keane and Gerrard hit some form

What you reckon, we have the best ever? we dont necessarily have ALL of the best strikers but no1 ever will but I beleive we have the best team of attackers!

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
no contest, but on paper only, for now. they have years to prove themselves as truly the best ever. remember last year when barca had messi, ronaldinho, henry, eto'o? it does not necessarily work out, but rooney, tevez, ronaldo, berbatov has a great great chance, and they are capable of dominating for quite a few years.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I don't agree.

Just for this year JUVE's got Del Piero, Trezeguet, Iaquinta, Amauri, worthy last year of 64 goals only in Serie A

For the history:

we had in 2005/06: Del Piero, Trezeguet, Ibrahimovic and Mutu ....then someone started saying we stole.......

also Inter, Ac Milan, Barça and Real M. hve had impressive lists, but , as said by the previous user, not always it has worked

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
Pele, Tostao, Jairzinho and Rivelino weren't bad :D

In terms of a European attacking line-up, when Madrid had Ronaldo, Raul, Zidane and Figo that was a mouth-watering combination.

·
Proto-Hipster
46,959 Posts
reddwarf said:
In terms of a European attacking line-up, when Madrid had Ronaldo, Raul, Zidane and Figo that was a mouth-watering combination.
was it successful and complete ?

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
abojodeh said:
was it successful and complete ?
It depends on how you look at it.

3 of them won the Champions League...

Raul is the leading all-time goal scorer in the Champions League and scored the opener in the 2002 final.
Zidane is one of the best players I have ever seen and he scored the winner in the 2002 final.
Luis Figo was a fantastic player and also played in the 2002 final.

...and the odd one out is Ronaldo who is one of the best strikers to have ever played the game.

They should have won more trophies playing together but they were still a brilliant attacking team.

·
Registered
113 Posts
one of the best attacks i've seen was in 1999 when Fiorentina had Chiesa, Mijatovic & Batistuta with Balbo for backup. Decent team back then when they reached the last 16 of the champions league

·
Proto-Hipster
46,959 Posts
reddwarf said:
It depends on how you look at it.

3 of them won the Champions League...

Raul is the leading all-time goal scorer in the Champions League and scored the opener in the 2002 final.
Zidane is one of the best players I have ever seen and he scored the winner in the 2002 final.
Luis Figo was a fantastic player and also played in the 2002 final.

...and the odd one out is Ronaldo who is one of the best strikers to have ever played the game.

They should have won more trophies playing together but they were still a brilliant attacking team.
yes but they weren't complete like our Attacking slot in 99
they won some trophies but they fell out after 2/3 years

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
Tbh, this Berbatov signing has gone too far.

Just because it looks good on paper, it doesn't mean its going to be successful, let alone the "best attack ever." Berbatov hasn't even played for us yet, never mind with Rooney, Tevez, and/or Ronaldo. It could all blow up in our face for all we know.

Back to the point of the thread, its impossible to tell really, but I think the Yorke, Cole, Sheringham, Solskjaer, etc group will take some beating.

Though I think Charlton, Best and Law will have something to say about that.

·
Proto-Hipster
46,959 Posts
manutd004 said:
Tbh, this Berbatov signing has gone too far.

Just because it looks good on paper, it doesn't mean its going to be successful, let alone the "best attack ever." Berbatov hasn't even played for us yet, never mind with Rooney, Tevez, and/or Ronaldo. It could all blow up in our face for all we know.

Back to the point of the thread, its impossible to tell really, but I think the Yorke, Cole, Sheringham, Solskjaer, etc group will take some beating.

Though I think Charlton, Best and Law will have something to say about that.
agree with every thing you said mate

and about berbatov i see Tevez and Rooney taking his position next season
Wazza and Carltio will be more mature next season

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
reddwarf said:
Zidane and Figo are actually not on a attack list.......... on the contrary, there were Morientes and Owen (good players, but not the same)

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Can I assume that we're talking solely about club teams? Because if we're talking about international teams, then there can be no beating Brazil during the the late 50s and 60s with Pele, and then again in the early 80s with Zico.

In terms of club teams, certainly Best, Law, and Charlton must be represented. Also, as much as I might not like them, Real Madrid did have an incredible team during the early and mid 60s with Puskas and di Stefano.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts