Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Inspired about a recent article on the worst debuts, I started thinking about the best debuts.

Rafael certainly impressed when he made his first competetive against Boro in the League Cup.

I remember this board was buzzing after that.

Nani had a inauspicious start in his first game, which was a home loss to Man City, but he certainly made up for it in his second game, when he scored THAT rocket against Spurs.

Rooney made one hell of a statement of intent with his hat-trick against Fenerbahce and who can forget a young Portuguese winger tormenting a hapless Bolton defence? Ronaldo announced himself by putting defenders on their bums.

Who else do you think had great debuts in English football?

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
Wasn't Rafael's first game against Newcastle though? He was on for like 3 minutes and almost won a penalty. Which is pretty impressive.

Rooney's was by far the best though, 3 cracking goals. Really helped contribute to my heterosexual man crush I have on him.

·
All round nice guy
3,887 Posts
Rooney made one hell of a statment of intent with his hat-trick against Fenerbahce and who can forget a young Portuguese winger tormenting a hapless Blackburn defnce? Ronaldo
announced himself by putting defenders on their bums.

*Bolton ;)

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
christianoharleiro said:
Rooney made one hell of a statment of intent with his hat-trick against Fenerbahce and who can forget a young Portuguese winger tormenting a hapless Blackburn defnce? Ronaldo
announced himself by putting defenders on their bums.

*Bolton ;)
:)

Thanks for spotting that!

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
Rooney's sticks out, although the quality of opposition is questionable.

Didn't Roy Keane have a good one for United too? I'm not entirely sure, but I thought I heard he scored a couple. Could be wrong.

Alan Smith made an instant impact too, connected with the fans almost immediately, with that goal against Arsenal in the comm. shield, and then that amazing goal against Norwich.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Ole Gunnar Solsjkaer vs Blackburn.
He was bought from Molde and I must admit I hadnt seen him before he came on as a sub saving a point for us at OT. But after that game we all knew who "The Babyfaced Assassin" were.

·
There's Only One Darren Fletcher!
11,978 Posts
I'd say Rooney had the best one
Though I think Ronny's against Bolton was pretty inspiring too

·
The White Heskey
8,606 Posts
Rooney vs Arsenal((Whilst playing for Everton)(Amazing goal)
Rooney vs Fenerbache(Hat-Trick)
Ronaldo
Rafael

All Good Debuts

Move on to Worst Debuts:

Cant pick any off top of my head but sure you guys can

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Danny Welbecks was pretty impressive as was that goal of his ;)

But the Wayne one does stick out, I mean they're can't be many players that scored a hat trick on their debut aywhere professionally nevermind in the Champions League!

And LMAO the worst one by a mile has to be Jonny Woodgate's for Real Madrid !!!!!!!! Scored an own goal and got a red card if I remember rightly :p

·
The Mexican Boy George
7,601 Posts
Rooneys debut comes to mind, People tend to discredit it because of the supposed weak opposition but I doubt scoring three goals in your debut whatever team it might be is not an easy task simply because of the fact that it is the first time you are playing with your new teammates and that team chemistry isn't quite there yet.

·
In Jones we trust
8,412 Posts
Best Debuts In Football History?

It's almost five years since Wayne Rooney made his first appearance in a United shirt, scoring a hat-trick in the process against Fenerbache in the Champions League (in his first game back from a metatarsal injury no-less). It got me thinking as to how totally spectacular that debut was and that I still can't remember a debut to match it. . But what about you? Are there any debuts that any player has made for club or country that have matched the level that Wayne set that night?

Incase you have a bad memory or just want to see it again: YouTube - Rooney Hattrick on debut vs Fenerbahce

·
Banned
299 Posts
Surprisingly, noone has mentioned Kiko Macheda. His goal was crucial and well-timed as well. For me that debut is equal to Rooney's hat-trick considering emotional side of the goal and importance, nevermind how Kiko did it - one touch with heel, then shot in far corner - Friedel got no chance to reach it. That was special, honestly.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
no one can forget rooneys debut, but for me welbeck had a great debut too, for a local lad to score a goal like that in front of the stretford end...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts