Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was on the Goal.com forums & I saw a few threads like this. I actually managed to put together a half decent post.

So I figured I'd just re post it over hear to get your opinions.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I guess it all depends on what you're after i.e. what kind of tactics you're team plays with.

If you're talking about a defensive team, who plays compact & hits on the counter you'd

want a defensive mid who hangs back & sits just in front of the defence. Makelele is the best

The best there ever was, he created the role after all. Mascherano is another good one in that role.

I would also nominate Marcos Senna for his sheer implacable strength.

Alternatively if you want someone to break up play, and then surge forward, you want an aggressive holding mid.

Sissoko & Yaya Toure are two of the best box to box holding mids currently playing.

I would be remiss if I didn't name the two of the most tenacious in Essien & Gattuso.

Of course there's also the likes of Fernando Gago whose aggression may see him take the crown.

If Hargreaves wasn't permanently injured he'd also be up there with Essien in my opinion.

Then there are the more tactically minded & more technically skilled. This is a difficult category.

Flamini would fit in here as would Xabi Alonso easily. Michael Carrick as well, very underrated.

I think if Xavi is considered a defensive mid he would go here.

The problem I have is with Cambiasso. He is extremely tactically minded.

His greatest strength is arguably reading the game & knowing how to close down space.

However his aggression & strength in the tackle sees him fit well into other categories.

So who's the best out of all? Well first I'll make categories.

At the end of the day if I needed a tactical play making defensive mid I'd choose Xabi Alonso.

If I needed someone to sit in front of the defence & protect my goal it would be a young Makelele.

An attacking, aggressive holding midfielder? Essien without a doubt.

However at the end of the day Cambiasso's footballing brain & sheer strength make him my choice.

Cambiasso is my best holding midfielder.

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
From what I've seen of Xavi in the last year, it's hard to look past him. The others in contention for me would be Gatusso, Essien and Mikel. I definitely think Mikel will be the top one in a couple of years. Carrick's up there though, but I think he can be more of a play-maker than a defensive midfielder.

You must be joking about Hargreaves?

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
Xavi doesn't count. Nor does Alonso, Carrick, Essien and De Rossi as far as I'm concerned, they're all more like playmakers and too dynamic to fit the "defensive midfielder" term.

For me its Gattuso, and Marcos Senna.

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
piazza said:
Xavi doesn't count. Nor does Alonso, Carrick, Essien and De Rossi as far as I'm concerned, they're all more like playmakers and too dynamic to fit the "defensive midfielder" term.

I can understand Xavi not being considered defensive. Alonso & Carrick are both more play makers...

So I guess at a stretch I can buy you're argument that they're not strictly defensive. I don't agree though. :)

That said I can't bring myself to agree with Essien & De Rossi, just because they're known to get forward

doesn't mean they can't be holding mids. The definition of a holding mid has changed after all.

Also whatever you feel about definitions Cambiasso definitely fits the mould, how could you leave him out?

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
dlan4327 said:
Also whatever you feel about definitions Cambiasso definitely fits the mould, how could you leave him out?
Because I forgot about him.

He's on the borderline too, in terms of being a "defensive" mid, just look at him for Argentina (goal V. Holland), he is a hell of a player though.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
For me the best defensive midfielder in also cambiaso but hargreaves and essien are right up there with him imo

·
Banned
27,712 Posts
piazza said:

them too for me! i love gattuso( not in the way haggler would he tends to go for the long haired grizzley look better watch yourself ;) :p ) hes a serious player woulda loved to seen him come here when we were linked with him!

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
In world football at the moment and not injured - Marcos Senna

Of the injured Gattuso, Essien & Hargreaves should be mentioned.

Also, I think we might be a little biased if we did not mention Javier Mascherano.
If you're tlaking about defensive mids, he certainly is very good at breaking attacks and closing down space with boundless energy. AND the guy gets sent off against us, which is always good.

Of course Makelele was the master, but I would also like to mention Jens Jeremies - he was as hard as nails and a fighter.

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
What about the Zenit lad who was unbelievable against us in the super cup - Anatoly Tymoschuk. Definitely up there imo.

·
Banned
27,712 Posts
RedForceRising said:
In world football at the moment and not injured - Marcos Senna

Of the injured Gattuso, Essien & Hargreaves should be mentioned.

Also, I think we might be a little biased if we did not mention Javier Mascherano.
If you're tlaking about defensive mids, he certainly is very good at breaking attacks and closing down space with boundless energy. AND the guy gets sent off against us, which is always good.

Of course Makelele was the master, but I would also like to mention Jens Jeremies - he was as hard as nails and a fighter.

youve mentioned some of the best in the bussiness there if not THE best agree with the javier mascherano thing! hes an absolute monster and think he wuld be the best in the prem along with a fullly fit hargreves with hargreaves prob getting the nod as hes a better footballer!

never seen jeremies play but ive heard the name and heard he was a class act when he was playing

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Good shout RFR. I would mention Gattuso, Hargo, Essien and Senna as well.
As well as Cambiasso and Xavi. No particular order though...
They all bring something different to the game.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
cantos red army said:
youve mentioned some of the best in the bussiness there if not THE best agree with the javier mascherano thing! hes an absolute monster and think he wuld be the best in the prem along with a fullly fit hargreves with hargreaves prob getting the nod as hes a better footballer!

never seen jeremies play but ive heard the name and heard he was a class act when he was playing
He was really, really good. If he had played outside the Bundesliga, he would be more famous.

·
Banned
27,712 Posts
RedForceRising said:
He was really, really good. If he had played outside the Bundesliga, he would be more famous.

ya my borther mentioned him as a super player alrite! ya but the germans tend to stay in the bundesliga the only german i can think of whos outside it is ballack!strange as the budensliga aint the best quailty

·
Registered
601 Posts
what about carrick. i think at the moment carrick and xavi are the best defensive midfielders. oh yeah there is also essien is world class also. But carrick of late has been showing some drive into the team, but not as much as essian gives drive to chelsea

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
cantos red army said:
ya my borther mentioned him as a super player alrite! ya but the germans tend to stay in the bundesliga the only german i can think of whos outside it is ballack!strange as the budensliga aint the best quailty
It's still a better league than the dutch or the french!

They have the best attendance of any European league and the most sponsorship money. Even more than the prem!

Jürgern Klinsmann was a quality player, who ventured abroad. Thing is the best german players chose to play in italy and Spain, which were better than the English league ;-)

Lothar Matthäus, Bernd Schneider, Oliver Bierhoff and Matthias Sammer also come to mind.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
trikam patel said:
what about carrick. i think at the moment carrick and xavi are the best defensive midfielders. oh yeah there is also essien is world class also. But carrick of late has been showing some drive into the team, but not as much as essian gives drive to chelsea
I really don't see Carrick as a defensive mid. He's a regular central midfield player.

Xavi is an attacking mid IMO.

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
RedForceRising said:
It's still a better league than the dutch or the french!

They have the best attendance of any European league and the most sponsorship money. Even more than the prem!
The Bundesliga definitely has amazing crowds & stadiums. The Allianz Arena is massive by anyone's standards.

Also it's always packed. As for the less famous defensive mids it'd be good to try & think of a few.

There's a bunch we haven't mentioned. Toulalan for Lyon was originally attacking but changed to defensive duties.

He's done well. He actually replaced another good holding mid in Mahamadou Diarra with success.

Although for what's it's worth Mahamadou Diarra does hold onto the ball a bit too long in some peoples opinion.

Ruben De La Red, Alexander Song, I can't believe I forgot Stephen Appiah, the Captain of Ghana. :eek:

Lassana Diarra, Ze Roberto, Van Bommel (Most Hated in Bundesliga) & what about Michael Johnson.

Under Sven he was an all rounder but definitely good in the tackle. Ever Banega plays for Atletico Madrid on loan.

Awesome name, isn't it? Oh & finally Fellani for Everton he's not too bad at all.

Have I missed anyone? :p Oh Yes! Knew I'd forgotten something.

It's 3am January 1st in Sydney so Happy New Year from the Southern Hemisphere! :) :D

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I know this person isnt actually listed as a def mid player ,when he is defending
during a game ,their arent to many that can take him .ANDERSON!! When I first started watching him I really watched for the offensive side of his game,but after seeing him take on some of the big names in the middle ,I believe he could be most dominate in that role that UNITED has.I do remember how mad drogba and gerrard looked when he was on them, like glue.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts