Manchester United Talk banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts
G

·
BARCA AT O.T. IN 1984
Never experienced anything as good as that night. The 2 goals at the end of the 99 final were amazing - left me speechless, but the game wasn't great and the atmosphere was'nt a patch on barca 84. All through that week it seemed to be the only thing on the minds of every red I knew.
I think we got 2 goals within a minute of each other. it was pure pandemonium on the terraces, the noise when those goals went in - unbelievable.

...just found my ticket for that match £2.70 paddock :eek:
those were the days !!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
SALFORD RED said:
BARCA AT O.T. IN 1984
Never experienced anything as good as that night. The 2 goals at the end of the 99 final were amazing - left me speechless, but the game wasn't great and the atmosphere was'nt a patch on barca 84. All through that week it seemed to be the only thing on the minds of every red I knew.
I think we got 2 goals within a minute of each other. it was pure pandemonium on the terraces, the noise when those goals went in - unbelievable.

Yeah, I've heard from other forums that OT hasn't come close since to the atmosphere that night.

And OT wasn't even near the size in capacity then, as it is now!!!!!

Barca were too ****y that night and we overwhelmed them. Hopefully tuesday turns out like that!!!!

G

·
Keano4taoiseach said:
Yeah, I've heard from other forums that OT hasn't come close since to the atmosphere that night.

And OT wasn't even near the size in capacity then, as it is now!!!!!

Barca were too ****y that night and we overwhelmed them. Hopefully tuesday turns out like that!!!!
Just looked on official site, there were 58,547 at that game.
Lets hope for a repeat result next week.

It's funny looking at some of the teams in the league that season as well.
http://www.stretfordend.co.uk/seasons/season1984.html

·
Registered
590 Posts
In terms of Fergie's time at United I would have to go with 7-1 v Roma, 4-0 v Porto, 3-2 Juventus or 2-1 Bayern in the '99 Final. All of these games showed what United are about, attacking football, and when your back is against the wall, to come out fighting stronger and harder to get the job done.

One of my personal favourite European games was 4-3 v Real Madrid 23/04/03. Even though we were knocked out, both sides played some fnatastic football and to see the likes of Figo, Roberto Carlos, Hierro, McManamanamanaman :rolleyes: and of course Ronaldo who scored a stunning hat-trick.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
SALFORD RED said:
BARCA AT O.T. IN 1984

That was a night to remember , the atmosphere was electric .
One of the best nights at old trafford ever , i was in the left side stretford end ,ironically where my season ticket is now .
Something was lost big time when we went all seater , like you said it was pandemonium , i have seen it on the television a couple of time and the atmosphere didnt sound very loud , but being there the noise was incredible

·
Stretford Ender
2,270 Posts
juventus with a zidane in his pomp 2-0 down at the della alpi.

other teams would have packed up gone home and taken their beating gracefully.

NOT US!!! We went at em and clawed our way back in their own back yard and it was a classy performance as well. 7-1 was good but not the greatest. neither was the 2-1 bayern final as for 89 mins we were awful and but for some magic from schmeichel, we would have been 2 or 3 down.

·
Registered
245 Posts
dckyfoxes said:
Is this the best ever performance by
United in Europe ?

No... The 99 greatest comeback against Bayern will be better.
Is more memoriable...

Could this team go on and become Fergies
greatest ever ?

Are you saying about the team 99 or now?

If it's referring to now, I will say no... With so many rumours on his retirements and the truth is time is not really on his side...

Let's see it this way, even if this current team looks like it's gonna be the greatest ever for United it might also be no longer under the reigns of SAF... This team is young, gels well and the players are all on their way to become world class quality... If they stays together they might really become the greastest ever...

SAF is building a legacy for himself here with players for the future... Unlike Wenger who is giving chances to the unknownsss, hoping that they might become stars... This is idiotic... SAF sees talents in each of his buys... He did made some silly buys in the past but this season proves that he had learn well from past experience...

For the team 99...
They are Fergie's greatest ever at the moment looking better then the current squad...

Since the 1999 treble success... Comparison between then and now...

GK - Peter Schmeichel (Edwin van der Sar/Ben Foster),
CD - Jaap Stam (Rio Ferdinand) & Ronny Johnsen (Nemanja Vidic/Gerard Pique),
LB - Denis Irwin (Patrice Evra/Mikael Silvestre),
RB - Gary Neville (Owen Hargreaves/Wes Brown),
CM - Roy Keane (Paul Scholes/Michael Carrick) & Nicky Butt (Anderson/Darren Fletcher),
LM - Ryan Giggs (Owen Hargreaves/Nani/Park Ji Sung),
RM - David Beckham (Cristiano Ronaldo),
ST - Andy Cole/Teddy Sheringham/Dwight Yorke (Wayne Rooney/Manucho(hopefully)) & Ole Gunnar Solskjær (Carlos Tevez).

John O'Shea - Everywhere...

In my opinion...
The combinations of Andy Cole/Teddy Sheringham/Dwight Yorke for Wayne Rooney only??? The current squad does not have enough bite and fire power of 99... 99 are consider the comeback kings of United...

As a living testimonial/witness as a United Fan since 1991...
Greatest ever team for Fergie...
Manchester United 99...
couldn't agrree more.

·
Davey baby chips 'n' gravy
4,055 Posts
There has been some fine European performance's by United in Europe. The Italian job was a great one!! I mean Juventus already had an away goal, their 2 nil up at the Delle Alpi and full of confidence but Keano had other Ideas. I thought his leadership and determination was superb that night and he inspired the full team to Victory that night, it was an inspiring performance.

Hammering Roma was a memorable night at OT, especially with what had happened to our fans in Rome. Fantastic goals, Sublime passing and excellent counters made for an awesome display.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts