Manchester United Talk banner

Best Ever United Strikers?

41 - 60 of 129 Posts

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
Cantona and Ruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuud.

Ruud was easily the most prolific striker we've ever had. If he hadn't gotten hurt the original time we were after him, and if he had stayed here he'd destroy Bobby Charlton's goal record.

Seems kind of redundant explaining Le Roi, so I won't.

·
I aim to Misbehave
6,371 Posts

Ruud was easily the most prolific striker we've ever had. If he hadn't gotten hurt the original time we were after him, and if he had stayed here he'd destroy Bobby Charlton's goal record.

Same votes as me.

I wanted to vote for the greatest striker (in my oppinion) that ever played, but he didn't play for United, and had a shortened career as well.

I'm talking of Marco Van Basten, of course, so my vote to Ruud is sort of an homage to Marco, since I see much of him in Ruud's football.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
I was actually reading a lot about David Herd today in Sir Bobby's book.
His career was cruelly cut short when he broke his leg but he was a brilliant
finisher with the most powerful shot Bobby had ever seen.

A bit from the book about Herd(p.212)
'Law and Herd complented eachother superbly, a fact which is illustrated perfectly
by the latter's productivity in the 4 seasons that follwed his 2 goal contribution to the cup
victory in 1963. In those seasons we won two titles and finished runners up once,
and Herd's efforts were utterly vital. In the first campaign, when Law was at times

unplayable and scored a stunning 46 goals, Herd, while playing 19 games fewer found the
net 27 times. In 1964/64 Denis scored 39, David 28. The following season saw Herd overtake
Law, who, while playing 3 games fewer had 24 goals against Herd's 32. In the second title year
Law was back in front with 25 to Herd's 18, but he played in 7 more games.
In other circumstances in less glamourous company, David herd would surely have become
something of a folk hero, a component of a famous partnership'

Then he broke his leg and never got back into the team. He should have been a legend.

·
Banned
12,703 Posts
Following my tendency of only voting for players I've
seen I will have to go with Ruud and Cantona, two fantastic
players.

I wanted to vote for one of Yorke and Cole but couldn't
decide who.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
King Eric and King Denis.
How can it be anyone else IMO. :thumbsup:

Lucky7 obviously couldn't decide though, since he voted for everyone. :rofl:

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts
I was actually reading a lot about David Herd today in Sir Bobby's book.
His career was cruelly cut short when he broke his leg but he was a brilliant
finisher with the most powerful shot Bobby had ever seen.

A bit from the book about Herd(p.212)
'Law and Herd complented eachother superbly, a fact which is illustrated perfectly
by the latter's productivity in the 4 seasons that follwed his 2 goal contribution to the cup
victory in 1963. In those seasons we won two titles and finished runners up once,
and Herd's efforts were utterly vital. In the first campaign, when Law was at times

unplayable and scored a stunning 46 goals, Herd, while playing 19 games fewer found the
net 27 times. In 1964/64 Denis scored 39, David 28. The following season saw Herd overtake
Law, who, while playing 3 games fewer had 24 goals against Herd's 32. In the second title year
Law was back in front with 25 to Herd's 18, but he played in 7 more games.
In other circumstances in less glamourous company, David herd would surely have become
something of a folk hero, a component of a famous partnership'

Then he broke his leg and never got back into the team. He should have been a legend.

Herd was second in the '10 greatest strikers DVD'. Charlton said he doesn't get the credit he deserves. I suppose when your teammates are as glamorous as Best, Law and Charlton its easy to be overlooked.

Anyway, I voted for Cantona and Law.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I went for Cantona and Ruud, most were before my time and I tried to keep to players I have seen in my lifetime
Cantona is an obvious choice, he was the greatest united player ever
a few players unlucky to miss out, but Ruud's goals to game ratio speaks for itself, it's mindblowing

·
Banned
9,511 Posts

THE WEBSITE OF DREAMS - TOP 20 GOALSCORERS STRIKE RATES

Denis Law is actually the best striker with the best strike rate.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
But for the record. Tommy Taylor played at a time when subs weren't allowed, so he always got 90 minutes in which to score a goal. A lot of Ruud's appearances would have been as a sub where he had nowhere near 90 minutes to score. So I reckon Ruud's strike rate is probably better if it was worked out properly.

·
I aim to Misbehave
6,371 Posts
Ermm...no he isn't.

It says strike rate is based on goals per 100 games.

Ruud = 68.49 goals per 100 games.

Law = 58.66 goals per 100 games.

Fernando Peyroteo
Years - between 1937 and 1949
Club - Sporting Clube de Portugal
Games - 187
Goals - 331
Average of 1.68 goals per game

:whistling::whistling:

41 - 60 of 129 Posts