Manchester United Talk banner

Best Ever United Strikers?

121 - 129 of 129 Posts

·
Member of the Year 2012 & 2013
43,914 Posts
well I'd say Torres has more magic than ruud did, he can dribble, and although he's not much of a showboater, is that really a bad thing? If he wasn't a poo player, I'd have him!

·
Proto-Hipster
46,961 Posts
well I'd say Torres has more magic than ruud did, he can dribble, and although he's not much of a showboater, is that really a bad thing? If he wasn't a poo player, I'd have him!
these days footballers dribble all the time :p

and why are trying to turn it into a ruud versus torres debate :p

·
43,914 Posts
these days footballers dribble all the time :p

and why are trying to turn it into a ruud versus torres debate :p
I'm not, I just thought you were doing an injustice on Torres, and it all started about Ruud, who I think is one of the greatest strikers we've had!

not all strikers dribble btw, some static ones still have great goal per game ratio's, e.g Huntelaar! anyway, I'd hate to turn this in to an RVN V Torres argument!

·
Proto-Hipster
46,961 Posts
I'm not, I just thought you were doing an injustice on Torres, and it all started about Ruud, who I think is one of the greatest strikers we've had!

not all strikers dribble btw, some static ones still have great goal per game ratio's, e.g Huntelaar! anyway, I'd hate to turn this in to an RVN V Torres argument!
justice was saying that ruud don't make magic

and what it seems that most of modern footie fans count dribbling as magic

thus i used torres as an example coz he isn't that much of a dribbler and tricks maker

i didn't say that torres is shit or something i said that he don't dribble much which i respect

·
43,914 Posts
justice was saying that ruud don't make magic

and what it seems that most of modern footie fans count dribbling as magic

thus i used torres as an example coz he isn't that much of a dribbler and tricks maker

i didn't say that torres is shit or something i said that he don't dribble much which i respect
ah I see, well IMO Justice is incorrect, RVN had his moments of magic, goals can be magic, that one he scored against fulham! the late equalizers! of course he made magic!

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts
Yet he still couldn't beat his goal to game ratio. Funny that huh?

Ruud didn't become one dimensional by himself, the team became one dimensional. Blaming one player for the shape of a team is a bit of a strange one.
Van Nistlerooy never played in a team that was close to relagation, while goals aren't the be all and end all anyway. Van Nistlerooy is a predetor. Thats his style. Law was a much more alround player, who helped the team play more than RVN did.

And RVN did become 1 dimensional. When he first signed he was awesome and his build up play was very underated, but after he big injury he became very static.

As for that video, RVN is rated higher than Cantona, which proves how accurate it really is.

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Van Nistlerooy never played in a team that was close to relagation, while goals aren't the be all and end all anyway. Van Nistlerooy is a predetor. Thats his style. Law was a much more alround player, who helped the team play more than RVN did.

And RVN did become 1 dimensional. When he first signed he was awesome and his build up play was very underated, but after he big injury he became very static.

As for that video, RVN is rated higher than Cantona, which proves how accurate it really is.
But then RVN went to Madrid and scored 33 goals in his first season. Ruud suffered due to a poor United team. I remember once hearing a stat that in his first season or 2 he scored 1 goal from outside the box. Build up play was not a big part of his game, scoring goals was and in a team that was not performing well he still managed to score over 20 goals.

We had some bad injuries to key players like Giggs and Scholes and with Keane leaving the whole spine of the team was fuked. Ronaldo was still a show pony and the service Ruud was getting in the box suffered. The team didnt suffer because of RVN imo but because we were missing our best midfielders for good chunks of the season. RVN found himself dropping deep trying to do a job that Scholes, Keane and Giggs would have done had they been fit.

I would have loved to have seen Ruud in the team over the last 3 years, there is only 2 players that I think Fergie made a mistake in letting leave United and it was Stam and RVN.

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts
But then RVN went to Madrid and scored 33 goals in his first season.
You can't compare Spain to England. In Spain, you can be slow and yet still run with the ball. In England you can't as it's much quicker.

Ruud suffered due to a poor United team. I remember once hearing a stat that in his first season or 2 he scored 1 goal from outside the box. Build up play was not a big part of his game, scoring goals was and in a team that was not performing well he still managed to score over 20 goals.
Law played in a relagation threatened team yet still scored 30 goals, and while his scoring was almost as good as RVN's, his alround play was much, much better.

We had some bad injuries to key players like Giggs and Scholes and with Keane leaving the whole spine of the team was fuked. Ronaldo was still a show pony and the service Ruud was getting in the box suffered. The team didnt suffer because of RVN imo but because we were missing our best midfielders for good chunks of the season. RVN found himself dropping deep trying to do a job that Scholes, Keane and Giggs would have done had they been fit.
Like I said, Law also played in a poor United team. You can't use that excuse. He has the most creative player in his league next to him in Rooney, so he did get a lot of service.

I would have loved to have seen Ruud in the team over the last 3 years, there is only 2 players that I think Fergie made a mistake in letting leave United and it was Stam and RVN.
I love RVN as much as the next guy. He's my faviorite striker ever. Doesn't change the fact that Law is a greater legend.

Being second to Law is nothing to be upset about.

·
Registered
96 Posts
That's a very hard list! I think I''l have to say King Eric & Ruud.

However Yorke & Cole was the best striking partnership we ever had I think!!

121 - 129 of 129 Posts