Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Best Non-United XI in 08/09

Which players have been the cream of the crop from our rivals this season?

I’m going with a tradiotional 4-4-2 setup, but you may use any formation you please.

Anelka – Torres

Young – Lampard – Ireland – Gerrard

Lescott – Jagielka - Carragher - Bosingwa

Reina

Subs: Given, Terry, Sagna, Felaini, Cahill, Kuyt, Agbonlahor

Joleon Lescott has been one of my favourite non-United players for a while now and he has impressed me once again this season, as has his teammates Jagielka, Cahill and Felaini.
Amir Zaki had an amazing start to the season, but then totally faded away, soI opted for Agbonlahor instead of him as a sub.

Stephen Ireland has had a really good season, so he makes into my team’s midfield even if it means playing Stevie G out of position.

As for the strikers, I think it definitely has to be Torres and Anelka.
Anelka has made a big difference to Chelsea while they were struggling under Scolari and continues to make a positive impact whenever he plays.

On the topic of Torres, I think we are fortunate that he had his hamstring problems or Liverpool would be in an even better position than they are in now. Of course, Rafa only has himself to blame for selling Keane, but his absence and subsequent glorious comeback has highlighted whan an important and magnificent player Fernando Torres is.

For my money, he’s possibly the best striker on the planet at the moment.

·
Banned
9,511 Posts
Reina

Glen Johnson; Phil Jagielka; Joleon Lescott; Luke Young.

Ashley Young; Steven Gerrard; Frank Lampard; Stephen Ireland; Xabi Alonso.

Nicholas Anelka.

Reina

Johnson Jagielka Lescott Young

Young Alonso Lampard Ireland

Gerrard
Anelka

Undecided on Torres on Anelka.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Reina
johnson,carragher,m.laursen,lescott
gerrard,ireland,alonso,young
torres,anelka

subs.

Howard
ivanovic
drogba
fallaini
barry
lampard
kuyt

most are pretty obvious choices really, of the others ivanovic would provide cover along the back line as a sub, kuyt has been impressive this year as much as it pains me to say so so he is a sub.howard has impressed me since hes been at everton-nothing fanxcy just gets the job done -more than he ever did for us.

laursen in defence is my biggest difference-its has to be noted that vill's decline has also coincided with their inspirational player been injured- the guy is immense in defence and a fantastic threat going forward.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Why are you all picking Reina? :confused: Given and Schwarzer have been much better.

-----------------------Schwarzer-------------------------

Johnson---------Jagielka--------Lescott--------Figueroa/Warnock----

Ireland---------Gerrard---------Lampard--------Young---

----------------Anelka----------Davies--------------------

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Why are you all picking Reina? :confused: Given and Schwarzer have been much better.

-----------------------Schwarzer-------------------------

Johnson---------Jagielka--------Lescott--------Figueroa/Warnock----

Ireland---------Gerrard---------Lampard--------Young---

----------------Anelka----------Davies--------------------

Schwarzer has the ability to make some clangers, but he has had a good season.

Davies ahead of Torres?

Reina
johnson,carragher,m.laursen,lescott
gerrard,ireland,alonso,young
torres,anelka

subs.

Howard
ivanovic
drogba
fallaini
barry
lampard
kuyt

most are pretty obvious choices really, of the others ivanovic would provide cover along the back line as a sub, kuyt has been impressive this year as much as it pains me to say so so he is a sub.howard has impressed me since hes been at everton-nothing fanxcy just gets the job done -more than he ever did for us.

laursen in defence is my biggest difference-its has to be noted that vill's decline has also coincided with their inspirational player been injured- the guy is immense in defence and a fantastic threat going forward.
I'm quite surprised at ivanovic. Don't think he's made enough appearances, but he did make an impact in the CL.

Tim Howard is playing well at Everton, but it took him a few seasons to reach this standard. In retrospective I think it was the best move of all and I don't think we can complain with what we've achieved with Edwin.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Schwarzer has the ability to make some clangers, but he has had a good season.

Davies ahead of Torres?
Scwarzer has been much better this season, pulling off some worldies and the fact he has a much weaker defence in front of him makes his achievement all the more amazing.

Davies...I kind of just threw him in. He isnt the prettiest player but boy is he effective.
He is having his best ever season and he has taken over the captaincy.
Even Henry described him as the toughest player to play against in the Prem.
I didnt go for Torres cos he has missed a lot of time through injury.
Looking back Id nearly put Cahill in ahead of Davies. Id forgotten about him till Jeff (I think) posted him.
He has been amazing playing off the front man.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Reina

Johnson, Jagielka, Turner, Lescott

Gerrard, Lampard, Ireland, A. Young

Torres, Drogba
Agree with jazz that Turner is a good shout. I wonder how long Hull can hang on to him.
Looks quite a player.

Scwarzer has been much better this season, pulling off some worldies and the fact he has a much weaker defence in front of him makes his achievement all the more amazing.

Davies...I kind of just threw him in. He isnt the prettiest player but boy is he effective.
He is having his best ever season and he has taken over the captaincy.
Even Henry described him as the toughest player to play against in the Prem.
I didnt go for Torres cos he has missed a lot of time through injury.
Looking back Id nearly put Cahill in ahead of Davies. Id forgotten about him till Jeff (I think) posted him.
He has been amazing playing off the front man.
Yeah, Kevin Davies is effective for sure.

Plays better than people give him credit for an can score some spectecular ones.
Just wouldn't have put him ahead of the usual suspects this season.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
(gk)given

(rb)glen johnson (cb)phil jagielka (cb)sebastien bassong (lb)leighton baines

(rm)antonio valencia (cm)stephen ireland (cm)garth barry (lm)ashley young

(st)tim cahill (st)fernando torres

1 - 20 of 39 Posts