Manchester United Talk banner

Best Striker In The World

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 251 Posts
Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's plenty of strikers across Europe that can stake a claim for being the best in the world this season. Eto'o is the front runner in my opinion, he's banging them in for fun at Barca and Henry's having a good season too. Anelka has been on fire for Chelsea this season, top scorer in the Premier league, just unfortunate with his recent injury and will miss a few weeks. Ibrahimovic is having a great season for inter, but kinda bottled it when it really mattered. Aguero is terrorizing defenses for Atletico Madrid alongside Diego Forlan, while the usual suspects like Del Piero, Totti, Trezeguet are all having good seasons. Torres hasn't played as much this season, but he's still a deadly striker and I'm sure he'd be pushing for 30 goals again if he'd stayed fit. Who do you think has been the best? My money's on Eto'o.

I've listed the top strikers below, but I've narrowed it down to ten for the poll.

1. Van Nistelrooy
  2. Ibrahimovic
  3. Eto'o
  4. Henry
  5. Villa
  6. Torres
  7. Van Persie
  8. Anelka
  9. Drogba
  10. Benzema
  11. Del piero
  12. Trezeguet
  13. Rooney
  14. Aguero
  15. Kanoute
  16. Pato
  17. Inzaghi
  18. Berbatov

·
Banned
16,009 Posts
I don't understand the question mark on van persie mate if you just include Berbatov. Van Persie is a better player than Berba. Probably behind Cesc but their next best imo. He's quality.

Btw, I chose Eto'o, Torres ran him close though.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Etoo, 29 goals so far in a top league. Nuff said:cool:

Grudging mention for Torres, despite missing parts of the season and playing through injury he's still got a good goal record so far, 11 in 27

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't understand the question mark on van persie mate if you just include Berbatov. Van Persie is a better player than Berba. Probably behind Cesc but their next best imo. He's quality.

Btw, I chose Eto'o, Torres ran him close though.
Ignore that. I had question marks over a few of them because I was discussing the list with Jazz. I just missed it when I removed the others.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Nice list ;)
Eto'o for me, if we are basing it on just this season. How many goals does he have?
edit: 29 as seen is fishys post.

Torres and Ruud would have pushed him close had it not been for injuries.

Special mention to Henry, Benzema and Ibra who have been class this season.

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
Went with Villa.

He carries that Valencia team, and while Eto'o - who has been astonishing also - gets chances put on plates repeatedly for him because of the quality of his team mates, there is very little creativity in the Valencia team and Villa still manages to near his scoring record while also creating chances for his team mates.

Torres I did not vote for because of his injuries this season.

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice list ;)
Eto'o for me, if we are basing it on just this season. How many goals does he have?

Torres and Ruud would have pushed him close had it not been for injuries.

Special mention to Henry, Benzema and Ibra who have been class this season.
29 so far :blink:

His form has dropped over the last month, but he still manages to bang the goals in. We should make a sneaky bid for him in the Summer :cool:

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Went with Villa.

He carries that Valencia team, and while Eto'o - who has been astonishing also - gets chances put on plates repeatedly for him because of the quality of his team mates, there is very little creativity in the Valencia team and Villa still manages to near his scoring record while also creating chances for his team mates.

Good point Richie (once again)
Tbh I havent seen that much of Valencia this season, but I catch most Barca games, so maybe my judgement is slightly clouded. But you cant argue with 29 goals.:eek:

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
29 so far :blink:

His form has dropped over the last month, but he still manages to bang the goals in. We should make a sneaky bid for him in the Summer :cool:
Yeah I think thats very possible since Barcelona seem hell-bent on replacing him! His pace would rip the Premiership apart!

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
Good point Richie (once again)
Tbh I havent seen that much of Valencia this season, but I catch most Barca games, so maybe my judgement is slightly clouded. But you cant argue with 29 goals.:eek:
I know well it was seriously close for me with Eto'o and Villa, becuase Eto'o is absolutely electric and as you say you can't argue with his goal scoring record. But for me, Villa carries the team at Valencia, in a season where Silva has been out injured alot of the time, leaving a team with zero creativity, Villa has managed to lead the team to a good position and score a ridiculous amount of goals.

Two magnificent players and I'm jelous that neither of them play in the Premiership. Hopefully we could do something about that in the summer though :thumbsup:

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah I think thats very possible since Barcelona seem hell-bent on replacing him! His pace would rip the Premiership apart!
Do you still think he has issues at Barca? I always thought the problems were between him and Frank Rijkaard?

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
It was rather tough and for what it's worth I think Amauri should at least make the list. He has been important.

In the end I choose Villa. Mainly because I think Barca make Eto'o look better than he is. Eto'o is deadly.

He plays centrally. Gets world class service. Really all that's left is for him to finish it. He does help out.

He plays some good passes & is involved in build up play but you have to admit he's got it pretty sweet.

Henry has to labour out left & I think considering their differing roles Henry has been better than Eto'o this season.

Henry has had to increase his work rate phenomenally. In the end though I've plumped for David Villa.

The guy has far superior all round ability than Eto'o. He can create & finish. Plus he has more burden.

He plays for Valencia. He & Silva are the 2 world class players who keep the team in the race.

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
Do you still think he has issues at Barca? I always thought the problems were between him and Frank Rijkaard?
I don't know whats causing the problem but theres talk of him not signing a contract and being replaced in the summer, by either Villa, Benzema or Inrahmiovic, the press seem to think.

I don't know if the issue is his doing or their doing but there is an issue. I'm sure Fergie could keep him under control though.

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
I know Torres has had his injuries but I still rate him as the best striker in the World at the moment.

He's scored key goals against United (equaliser), Real Madrid (opener), Chelsea (2 - 89th & 90th min to win the game) and Everton (2 - to win the Merseyside derby at Goodison).

He also scored 2 against Man City when Liverpool came from 2-0 down to win 3-2 at the council house and got the last minute winner in the 3-2 victory at Pompey.

He destroyed many people's pick for PFA Player of the Year, Nemanja Vidic, at Old Trafford. His blistering pace and clinical finishing are a deadly combination.

How I wish we had signed him when Fergie showed his interest a couple of seasons before Liverpool.

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
You know I remember reading a while back that Wenger passed on the chance to sign Eto'o.

Arsenal could've had Eto'o and Henry before Barca got him. :eek: Imagine how things could've been...

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
I know Torres has had his injuries but I still rate him as the best striker in the World at the moment.

He's scored key goals against United (equaliser), Real Madrid (opener), Chelsea (2 - 89th & 90th min to win the game) and Everton (2 - to win the Merseyside derby at Goodison).

He also scored 2 against Man City when Liverpool came from 2-0 down to win 3-2 at the council house and got the last minute winner in the 3-2 victory at Pompey.

He destroyed many people's pick for PFA Player of the Year, Nemanja Vidic, at Old Trafford. His blistering pace and clinical finishing are a deadly combination.

How I wish we had signed him when Fergie showed his interest a couple of seasons before Liverpool.
Nice one, thought i'd be the only Torres voter here.
You've got to hand it to him, he's stronger and quicker than 95% of all the defenders in the world. He's tall, aggrissive and takes no shhiit. Has had a tough season and is playing with a crap team.

If you put Torres in the Barca team i think he'd match what Eto'o has to offer and offer more with his head too, Eto'o has a better team around him and you have to look at that too.

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
Nice one, thought i'd be the only Torres voter here.
You've got to hand it to him, he's stronger and quicker than 95% of all the defenders in the world. He's tall, aggrissive and takes no shhiit. Has had a tough season and is playing with a crap team.

If you put Torres in the Barca team i think he'd match what Eto'o has to offer and offer more with his head too, Eto'o has a better team around him and you have to look at that too.
I agree but how can you rate Torres higher than Villa? When they pay together for Spain...

It's so evident that Villa is a class above that I almost cringe. Torres looks ordinary playing next to him.

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
I agree but how can you rate Torres higher than Villa? When they pay together for Spain...

It's so evident that Villa is a class above that I almost cringe. Torres looks ordinary playing next to him.

You have a point but many players don't do it for their country. What did Eric Cantona ever do for the International side?
If i could choose any Striker to come to OT i'd pick Torres, he has everything this league needs.

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
Villa
Eto'o
Torres

Very close though, had Torres not been injured so much of the season he may well be top for me.
All 3 have the qualitys needed to be a world class striker.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts

Thanks for saving me a post :)

1 - 20 of 251 Posts