Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys how are we? Haven't posted a thread in a while.

Yeah I was at the game last night and honestly, particularly in the first half, the passing and movement was of a standard I have honestly not seen before from United. Everything happened so fluidly, every time someone got the ball 2 or 3 options would open up for them naturally and every player would pick the right pass and move on fluidly with the rest of the team. It was awesome. We could have been 5 up at half time and that is no mean feat, against a Fulham side that previous to last night had conceded 18 goals all season.

United showed their strength in depth by bringing on youngsters Darren Gibson and Jonny Evans, who fitted seemlessly into the team, and a certain Wayne Rooney who has been out for 5 weeks.

So this all got me questioning, has any Manchester United team ever been better than this? And you know what, I don't think they have, honestly. But I think the first 11 of the '99 team was on a par without doubt. The '99 team had 2 weakness, Ronny Johnson was good but no Jaap Stam, and the strength in depth was not what it is now.

The current team also has 2 weaknesses. The first being the left wing slot. Even last night, moves lose a slight bit of rhythm because players are reluctant to pass to Park when he is the screamingly obvious pass, because the know he is technically not even close to being on a par with the rest. And this does make us less lethal than we could be. The other weakness if that we don't have a striker who hangs on the shoulders of defenders giving the option of a through ball straight through the middle to be put through on goal, and at times last night while we had possession we were screaming for that.

Those two weaknesses are what stand between us and becoming the greatest Manchester United, and possibly football in general, team of all time. Will they be fixed? I honestly think they will, if not by next season, then the one after that.

So we have to think of solutions to these 'weaknesses' in our persuit of perfection. What do we do? Well I think there are a couple of potential avenues to solve each problem. For the left wing issue, there is either the possibility, that either Nani, or Tosic, will come through and be world class as the rest of the team is. Or we can bring someone in, like David Silva or Ashley Young for instance, who we know would do an exceptional job for us, and probably sell one of the current wingers, either Park or Nani probably.

Then there's the 'guy getting in behind' weakness. Again, there is actually an 'in squad' solution. We have young Welbeck coming through, and he has the pace and technique to be able to be this player for us. But he is another player who prefers to position himself so he can get the ball into his feet rather than running onto a through ball. So we could try to nurture him to making darting runs off the shoulders of defenders to get through on goal. Whether that would work though we don't know. Another of our strikers with the potential to be this player is Wayne Rooney. He has all the necessary skills to be this type of player, but do we, and he, want to limit his time on the ball by making him the striker who plays off the shoulders, when we know he is best playing off a main striker. So again, the other option is to bring someone in, at Tevez's expense, who we know will do this job. The perfect person to bring in would be Benzema in my opinion.

So whats the right solution? I don't know. But if we do iron out our weakness, we are on the brink of perfection. And with Ferguson's squad management, I think theres a damn good chance we will reach the point of being our greatest team ever.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
personally i believe the teams from 94 and 99 would easily beat this team ,but the current team are getting better and more importantly winning trophies and when they find that cutting edge up front they will be very formidable opponents to any team out there.
regarding last nights performance utd were classy but fulham were woeful and little swansea walked all over fulham 4 days earlier ,so don't get too carried away on that form line such a victory was expected .

·
Registered
224 Posts
I agree the mid-90's united team probably beats almost any team in history, they had brilliant and young playmaker in scholes and beckham, a young speedy ryan giggs, brilliant finishers, one of the greatest goalkeepers ever and some legendary defenders, actually I think they could destroy the current united team the same way we did fulham a little while ago

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
football is chemistry. 11 best players in each position does not make the best team. the team we have now got the right mix of youth, experience, resilience, composure, most importantly, the self belief and confidence to be the best ever. and everybody knows their roles in the squad. just carry on like this, we will enjoy the football, as well as the result.

·
Registered
573 Posts
was thinking about this the other day with my girlfriend and we in the end agreed to disagree, ok we only compared 99's team to the current team and she says 99 was better and i say the team from now is better :eek: i worked it out by comparing each position to get a final 11 and then i had more of the current team in the lineup so say thats the better team (i didnt do the full squad so this may have an impact on the final outcome)

Schmeichel vs VDS
G.Neville (99) vs Rafael
Stam vs Ferdinand
Johnson vs Vidic
Irwin vs Evra
Beckham (99) vs Ronaldo
Scholes (99) vs Scholes
Keane vs Carrick
Giggs (99) vs Giggs
Rooney vs Cole
Yorke vs Berbatov

--Schmeichel--
--Rafael--Stam--Vidic--Evra--
--Ronaldo--Keane--Scholes (99)--Giggs (99)--
--Rooney--Berbatov--

·
United's masseuse
6,296 Posts
Every squad Fergie built had something special in it, but the squad which won the treble had that something more.
Can`t deny the current squad is up there too :)

·
All round nice guy
3,887 Posts
Damian you're having a laugh if you think Rafael is already better than Gary Neville of 99'.

Schmeichel(99)
Neville(99)-Stam(99)-Vidic-Evra
Beckham(99)-Scholes(99)-Keane(99)-Giggs(99)
Berbatov - Solskjaer(99)

The 99 first XI was better. The 09 squad is much better however.

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
---------------Schmeichel
Neville99---Stam---Vidic-----Irwin
Becks99----Scholes99----Keane----Giggs99
-------------Cole----Yorke

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts
You're judged by what you win.

The 1994-1996 team may have been the most talented as a unit (was my faviorite anyway). They won 3 league titles and 1 FA Cup.

The 1999 - 2003 side won 4 league titles (3 consecutive), 1 FA Cup and a CL.

The Current side has won 2 league titles and a CL. It could go on to be out best team, especially if we win another CL.

The 1996 team was sought of half 1994 and half 1999, so I wasn't really sure which era it was in as it was a transition period (that luckily brought success).

Of course we've also got the 1968 side who won 1 European Cup, 1 FA Cup and 2 League titles, all of which were a lot harder to win in those days. We also had arguably our 3 greatest players, Best, Law and Charlton in the side.

I'm just really saddened (like everyone else) that we never got to see the full potential of the pre-Munich Busby Babes as that side had won 2 league titles and could have won a European Cup(s), plus we still had players like Stiles and Best who would have further strengthened the side.

Our side in the 80's was also very good, its just unfortunate for us that we had an unstoppable Liverpool side in the same league as us.

Overall, I's say the 1999 side is our greatest ever, but the current squad has the potential to eclipse that.

·
Member of the Year 2012 & 2013
43,917 Posts
personally i believe the teams from 94 and 99 would easily beat this team ,but the current team are getting better and more importantly winning trophies and when they find that cutting edge up front they will be very formidable opponents to any team out there.
regarding last nights performance utd were classy but fulham were woeful and little swansea walked all over fulham 4 days earlier ,so don't get too carried away on that form line such a victory was expected .
You could argue that the 94 team could beat the treble team or that the 68 team could beat the 94 team, you could then argue that the 99 team could beat the 58 team - swings and roundabouts -

We have an amazing squad probably the best in the world atm i don't think we need an off the shoulder striker because we have so many people scoring now we don't need to deprive them and just have one racking them up - we don't wanna turn into liverpool with Torres or this year Gerrard

As for the left wing it's a concern but who knows we have so many youngsters like Tosic and Nani that any of them could become class, we could always have Ronnie cutting in from the left and play some1 else on the right! And Giggsy isn't past it entirely yet, see him at the Hammers!

·
Registered
773 Posts
Agree !!

I don't know how Damian picking Rafael over Neville99....He is still young and has lot more space for him to improve but still can't beat the neville99...He scored goal...Cole and Yorke remain my main striker choice even Rooney+Berbatov or Berbatov+Tevez or even Tevez+Rooney.....This two black guy have a better chemistry....

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
You could argue that the 94 team could beat the treble team or that the 68 team could beat the 94 team, you could then argue that the 99 team could beat the 58 team - swings and roundabouts -

We have an amazing squad probably the best in the world atm i don't think we need an off the shoulder striker because we have so many people scoring now we don't need to deprive them and just have one racking them up - we don't wanna turn into liverpool with Torres or this year Gerrard

As for the left wing it's a concern but who knows we have so many youngsters like Tosic and Nani that any of them could become class, we could always have Ronnie cutting in from the left and play some1 else on the right! And Giggsy isn't past it entirely yet, see him at the Hammers!
although this current side have hit a purple patch with a tremendous run of results and a superb defenceive record ,they are not scoring the quantity or the quality of goals that the teams from 94 and 99 was doing .
the current team may well go on and prove they were the best ever but they are definatley a little light in the striker department at the moment , and if fergie can find a striker who can punch his weight this team could really take off and dominate for 5 years.

·
43,917 Posts
Man Utd's best team - by me is

Schmeichel
Neville Stam Vidic Evra

Beckham* Scholes Keane Giggs

Van Nistlerooy Cantona

Subs Solskjaer Rooney Ronaldo Carrick Ferdinand Bruce Barthez - lol

* Beckham pips Ronaldo because i still don't feel Ronaldo gets legendary status yet not sure if any1 agrees because I haven't read all of the thread sorry

·
43,917 Posts
although this current side have hit a purple patch with a tremendous run of results and a superb defenceive record ,they are not scoring the quantity or the quality of goals that the teams from 94 and 99 was doing .
the current team may well go on and prove they were the best ever but they are definatley a little light in the striker department at the moment , and if fergie can find a striker who can punch his weight this team could really take off and dominate for 5 years.
Yeah I think the 94 team is my best only just beating 99 but this squad is great but imo unless we lose Tevez we don't need a striker

·
Registered
38 Posts

+1

Trebble team BEST (Vidic>Johnsen)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Schmeichel
Parker---Bruce--Pally--Irwin
Kanchelskis--Keane--Ince--Giggs
Hughes---Cantona

That's my favourite ever Utd side...They played some beautiful football & physically would kick the shit out of the current team. The current squad is the best we've ever had..but the '93-94 first 11 was the best SAF ever had.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The current squad won a double - not quite a treble, but close.

Still, the defense is fantastic and Vidic-Rio are the best tandem in the game

·
Stretford Ender
2,270 Posts
this has been discussed over and over and no-one is gonna come to a consensus.

has anyone thrown busby babes into pot. just cos they aint around now and they never went on to win european honours, does that mean they cant be judged the best side ever.

each side helps add to the united tradition and that winning. your only as good as the teams you face.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Agree !!

I don't know how Damian picking Rafael over Neville99....He is still young and has lot more space for him to improve but still can't beat the neville99...He scored goal...Cole and Yorke remain my main striker choice even Rooney+Berbatov or Berbatov+Tevez or even Tevez+Rooney.....This two black guy have a better chemistry....

:rolleyes:
Spot on :specool

1 - 20 of 41 Posts