Manchester United Talk banner

Biggest summer of transfer spending ever?

2K views 21 replies 17 participants last post by  versa 
#1 ·
Just been thinking about the potential transfer activity this summer.

You have us, who will have a few quid to spend after a successful summer, and I'm convinced we will see a couple of big name arrivals here in the summer.

Then the scousers are talking about spending big, with Benitez's new contract tied up rumour has it he will have a big budget this summer.

Then of course there's City, who are almost guarunteed to spend rediculous amounts of money on several players.

Chelsea are talking about £100m budgets so and clearouts so it looks like the agressive Ambramovic era is returning.

Then abroad you have Barcelona, who are being linked with all sorts of names and are prepared to spend a fortune.

Then Madrid have Perez coming back who is looking to re-build the galactico era and is talking about spending insane amounts of money.

Then even in Italy they are talking about big spending from Inter, AC, and Juve.

Should be hugely exciting and I can see a few records being broken :specool:

With possibly next season being Fergie's last I think he will want to perfect his squad before the end of the summer in order to have on almighty season.

See less See more
G
#3 ·
After the money they offered for Kaka in the Summer, I wouldn't be surprised if City would be willing to spend up to half a billion quid this Summer. That's if any of the world class players would be willing to play for them.

#4 ·
After the money they offered for Kaka in the Summer, I wouldn't be surprised if City would be willing to spend up to half a billion quid this Summer. That's if any of the world class players would be willing to play for them.
I doubt the real world class players will to be honest.

City are going about it all the wrong way, they will end up with a team full of prema donna money grabbers who have no heart for football. They would be far better signing more Bellamys than Robinhos.

G
#5 ·
I doubt the real world class players will to be honest.

City are going about it all the wrong way, they will end up with a team full of prema donna money grabbers who have no heart for football. They would be far better signing more Bellamys than Robinhos.
Agreed. Too many big names arriving will unsettle the dressing room. They shouldn't aim too high just yet, just buy good players for now, build up a bit of consistency, challenge for a UEFA Cup spot, bring in some more quality, challenge for a Champions League spot, then start bringing in the class players if they can.

It should be a gradual transition from a shit club into a top club, but they seem to want to do it instantly. The only reason Chelsea did it so quickly was because they were pretty much a top four club already and had a good squad of quality players.

#6 ·
Agreed. Too many big names arriving will unsettle the dressing room. They shouldn't aim too high just yet, just buy good players for now, build up a bit of consistency, challenge for a UEFA Cup spot, bring in some more quality, challenge for a Champions League spot, then start bringing in the class players if they can.

It should be a gradual transition from a shit club into a top club, but they seem to want to do it instantly. The only reason Chelsea did it so quickly was because they were pretty much a top four club already and had a good squad of quality players.
My thoughts exactly Zuco.

#8 ·

Isnt that what they have been doing all along? :whistling:

I really thought they could be the next Chelsea with all the money they have but look like not even sparky can attract these big name players...I bet it has something to do with another manchester club not very far away :whistling:

#9 ·

That's it in a nutshell zukes :thumbsup:

It won't stop them making ridiculous bids left, right and centre though. It'll make for an interesting summer of transfer gossip for sure!

#10 ·
Not at all. Inter always spend big and they will probably do a little
bit of spending, AC Milan will buy a player or two and Juve might
get a few players but none over the £15mil. mark.

Barcellona will also buy one or two players but no big names.

We will definitely not buy big this summer and neither will Liverpool.

Chelsea might and Man City will bring in some players.

Transfer records being broken? Only if City buy Aguero or Benzema
or something, not very likely anyway.

#11 ·

i actually laughed when they said that their aim is to finish in top 4 this season

#13 ·
Not at all. Inter always spend big and they will probably do a little
bit of spending, AC Milan will buy a player or two and Juve might
get a few players but none over the £15mil. mark.

Barcellona will also buy one or two players but no big names.

We will definitely not buy big this summer and neither will Liverpool.

Chelsea might and Man City will bring in some players.

Transfer records being broken? Only if City buy Aguero or Benzema
or something, not very likely anyway.
Im positive the scousers will spend, especially if they fail to win the title again.

#14 ·
i think the biggest spenders will be city or the poo , as for the rest of the prem i cant envisage spending on a massive scale.
clubs will be wary about over spending in the current financial climate , i expect belts will be tightened at a lot of clubs , i dont see clubs outside the big four spending more than 30 mil on summer transfers.
our own spending will be dictated by the tevez deal , if he goes i suspect sir alex will delve into the market for a replacement of substantial quality , which ultimately means big money - 20 - 25 mil.
if tevez does stay , we will probably be looking for more young talent possibly in the 10 - 15 mil region.

overall i expect clubs will strengthen their squads and look to balance the books at the same time.

#15 ·
What worries me is the whole Valencia situation. Obviously Benitez has a very good relationship with them.

He lead them to successive La Liga titles. Now they've always said they're keeping the star players.

However I think this season will be the one they finally bow to their crushing financial woes, credit crunch & all.

If Valencia finally need the cash & Benitez has got it Liverpool would be front runners to grab Villa & Silva.

If they get those two I can finally see them being a serious threat. Villa & Torres would destroy the premiership.

Silva would be the width they've been missing.

#16 ·
large influx of expensive players in one go nearly always ruins a club .

one or two a year is the way to go unless a club is on its knees and manager is given years .

i think hughes will be outed in early post season and new city man will bring a few from club they were at

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.