Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
11,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sunderland have confirmed the appointment of Ricky Sbragia as the club's new permanent manager on an 18-month contract.

Sbragia has been in caretaker charge at the Stadium of Light since the resignation of Roy Keane at the start of December.

He has lifted morale on Wearside and has guided the Black Cats out of the relegation zone after wins over West Brom and Hull City before a 0-0 draw at home to Blackburn Rovers on Boxing Day.

The former Manchester United and Bolton Wanderers coach has now been given the position on a full-time basis and he is relishing the opportunity.
Unity

"I'm delighted to have been offered the opportunity to manage a club as big as Sunderland and I'm relishing the challenge ahead," Sbragia told the club's official website.

"My main priority is moving up the Premier League table and ensuring we have unity and stability at the club.

"I've been extremely pleased by the commitment shown by the players to date and the support we have all received from the fans."

The appointment was ratified at a board meeting on Saturday morning and Sunderland chairman Niall Quinn is confident the right decision has been made.

Taken aback

Quinn said: "Ricky Sbragia is a thoroughly professional football person.

"We have been taken aback by how easily he has slotted into the managerial role and are really heartened by his intelligent approach in dealing with the players and the day-to-day rigours of the job.

"Ricky took up the reins when we were at low ebb and has without doubt revitalised the club. He is the unanimous choice of the executive board and will receive every support in his new role.

"I'm sure all of our fans, and the players too, will give Ricky their full backing in his first senior management position."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_4706482,00.html

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Good to see that they are giving him the job, he's done well when he's been caretaker 7 points out of 9 I think, and usually chances aren't given like this so good luck to him :)

·
Registered
809 Posts
7 from 12
7 from his last three games though

good luck ricky.

hope he does well for us. was a bit boring yesterday, but it really got lively mid-way through the 2nd half

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
Well, I did say in another thread that they should give him the job until the summer and they've given him it for a bit longer.

He's done a good job as caretaker, and the players seem to respect him. He will also offer them some stability. They could have decided to hire an older manager who was really old-fashioned, but have decided to make a fresh appointment. Hopefully, with the transfer window coming up, they support him if he does decide to make some transfers.

It's a good appointment imo, and I really wish him well.

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
He's done enough to get the job to be fair. They're in 14th though still pretty close to the drop. Its gonna take 40-44 points to be safe imo, yet 50-55 will probably get you into Europe! :eek:

·
Arse Bandito
1,527 Posts
good to see another ex-united man managing in the premiership.
looks to be a nice, stable manager, which will probably be good for sunderland.
7 points from 12 as caretaker is a good enough return, and is probably about the level of consistency that they will need for the rest of the season to steer themselves well clear of relegation and maybe towards a mid table finish.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts