Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Blackburn have sacked manager Paul Ince after only three wins in 17 Premier League games left the club languishing second from bottom in the table.

Ince, 41, joined Rovers from MK Dons in June but Blackburn's last league win was at Newcastle on 27 September.

Chairman John Williams said: "Three wins in 17 games has seen a squad which finished seventh last season fall to 19th place.

"We are currently in danger of becoming detached from the pack."

The decision to sack Ince was taken after a Blackburn board meeting and Williams made it clear that the need to keep the club in the top flight was behind the move.

Former boss Graeme Souness is an early front-runner to take over, possibly assisted by veteran Blackburn midfielder Tugay.
(things goes from bad to worse for my friend who support the Rovers.:()

The former Bolton and Newcastle manager Sam Allardyce, who was considered in the summer before Ince got the job, and ex-Charlton and West Ham boss Alan Curbishley have also been linked.

Williams was publicly critical of Blackburn's display in what proved to be Ince's final game, the 3-0 defeat at Wigan on Saturday.

He added: "The survival of the club in the Premier League is paramount and our focus is on finding a replacement who will be able to maintain our top-division status.

"Paul will bounce back, he is a fighter and we wish him well."

A statement released on the Blackburn website said: "The board, having selected Paul Ince back in June, were desperate for him to succeed and wanted to give him as much time as possible in the unforgiving environment of the Premier League, where time is such a precious commodity."

The Blackburn squad returned to training on Tuesday after their Christmas party in Dublin and they were put through their paces by assistant manager Ray Matthias while Ince met with the board.

Ince, a former Manchester United and England midfielder, was appointed on 22 June on a three-year contract and, despite a promising start to the campaign, saw performances and results begin to deteriorate.

Rovers have lost their last six league games and there have been reports of dressing-room unrest.

Following the defeat at Wigan, Williams told the Lancashire Telegraph: "After all the signs coming out of Brockhall (Blackburn's training ground) this week, I was led to believe we would get a top performance.

"Without taking anything away from Wigan I have to say I was very disappointed with what I saw."

"The worry is the league table is beginning to stretch out and now we need two wins just to get back among the pack at the bottom."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/b/blackburn_rovers/7784967.stm

·
Registered
125 Posts
he should have stayed with mk dons he got way ahead of himself thinking he could pull it off in the premiership results speak for themsleves

·
Banned
9,926 Posts
Hardly much of a surprise now...don't agree with teh time he was given, but he
really didn't help the cause. He was almost crying in his interviews pleading for
time and such...

...They'd be sitting pretty had Hughes have stayed!(Bettting for the next manager will be up soon)

·
Banned
2,730 Posts
The thing with this is Ince had lost the plot there the players didnt believe in him and neither did the fans .

I wouldnt of wished the Blackburn job on anyone this year as they have been punching above there weight for far too long .

Bentley left for spurs and there best players wanted out aswell add that together and you have a mess .

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
red dave said:
The thing with this is Ince had lost the plot there the players didnt believe in him and neither did the fans .

I wouldnt of wished the Blackburn job on anyone this year as they have been punching above there weight for far too long .

Bentley left for spurs and there best players wanted out aswell add that together and you have a mess .
I heard from the Rovers friend that Ince got off with the team very wrong from pretty much Day 1.
When Bentley wanted a transfer he was 'punished' by Ince with doing pus-ups and after that the word in the squad was going on strike if they didnt get a new manager. It was all denied by Rovers of course.
Since then there's no turning back for them I guess. Friedel and Bentley left and the summer rhyme of Rovers were the only two not for sale is Warnock and Roque. As it looks now Roque is all about the price tag and the new/next manager only task this season is to prepare them for Championship. Robinson isnt winning games for them either so the sun isnt exactly shining over Ewood Park.

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
Have that Guv.

Much deserved, should have kept with MK Dons, or another lower level club.

I can't help but not feel sorry for Blackburn, there had to be lower rist candidates out there.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
It was inevitable. The signs were all their in the past 2 weeks. Then the dreaded board meeting of doom in the morning, i knew that was it for him. Dam, i should placed a bet on him.

I do think its a bit of a joke though. Managers are barely given any-time now-days. A few months in...they get the sack. Its stupid. It took Fergie a few years before he got Man Utd back to where they should be, and now look. Same with Arsene Wenger. Although in this case, the prospect of relegation forced their hand.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
i reckon that ince will be in a job by next season and i still believe that he will prove a better manager than hughes , bruce and robson .
up until the blackburn job he had done wonders , and blackburn were in turmoil before he arrived , he will return a wiser man.

·
There's Only One Darren Fletcher!
11,978 Posts
It was always gonna happen what 6 defates in a row before he was sacked? I think Blackburn held on to him for too long for their own good.

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
I can't say I'm surprised. Ince did very well in the lower leagues but when you manage in the Prem there is so much money at stake. It would be a financial disaster for a club like Blackburn that was competing for European places to be faced with relegation. That's why managers aren't given more time these days. Boards just refuse to take the risk. More often than not a change in manager equals a change in fortunes.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Pfft no surprise, I hate it when they sack managers maytbe he should be given more time? But they're going nowhere, if he had got maybe a respectable result this weekend maybe a draw or 2-1 loss, the story could of been different. But their confidence and morale is too low they need a new manager.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
The only surprise was that it took them until today tbh. I thought it would have been done yesterday, or Sunday.

However, I think he jumped into the Blackburn job too early. He should have stayed with MK Dons for a couple of years, or if he was to move work his way up slowly.

And really, I don't know if hes going to cope at top-level management. He seems to be far too arrogant for the players to respect him imho.

He hasn't had much time, but like reddwarf said, a club like Blackburn who have been finishing in the top half of the table in recent years facing relegation is a worry, and is unthinkable for the board and they had to act. Its ok saying "He needs more time" but, if the bad form continues, when can you make the change before it becomes too late?

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
no surprise, but really- a promising manager in the lower leagues steps up to the premiership and after a genuinely poor patch yes, he is giventhe boot. SAF and united as we know it wouldn't exist now if the same mindset had been around in the later 80's. give the guy a chance....although the anti- united conspiracy nonsense he mentioned is absolute rubbish.

at the moment good ole' stevie bruce is looking like the best ex united player gone into management

·
Registered
7,534 Posts
Blackburn have no confidence and seem to have no fight in them,they just roll over,so i'm not surprised that Ince got the push tbh.Be interesting to see who becomes the new boss..

·
Banned
2,730 Posts
red lady said:
Blackburn have no confidence and seem to have no fight in them,they just roll over,so i'm not surprised that Ince got the push tbh.Be interesting to see who becomes the new boss..

Yeah it will but lets be honest there can only be one choice Big sam Blackburn is down the road from Bolton and he must still live local !!

Go big Sam :p

1 - 18 of 18 Posts