Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bolton make shock move £12m for Veloso

Bolton have opened talks with Sporting Lisbon about the possibility of signing much-vaunted defensive midfielder Miguel Veloso.

GettyImages

Veloso has indicated he wants to stay at Sporting.
The 22-year-old is one of the most highly-rated prospects in Europe, once linked with Manchester United, and Megson is hopeful Wanderers can lure him to the Premier League.

Reports have suggested the fee would be in the region of £12m, which, if the transfer were to come off, would break the £8m club record Gary Megson paid for Johan Elmander in the summer.

"It is something we are trying to do but whether it comes to fruition is another thing," said Megson.

"It is difficult talking about someone else's player but he is a quality act and if we can do it we will try to bring him in.

"We are interested in the lad and I'm sure other people will be as well.

"We have spoken to them (Sporting) but that is all it is."

Megson admitted that some people may be surprised at Bolton being in the market for a £12million player but said the funds were there if they could find the right target.

"He certainly is [expensive] but that is not the issue," he added.

"If we can take the right player to Eddie Davies (the club's owner) there has never been an amount of money that he hasn't given us.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=613229&sec=transfers&cc=5901

"If it is a player we think will improve us and it is do-able we will try to do it.

"We would like to bring in quality players but if they are not quality players we won't do it for the sake of it."

Bolton may have their work cut out, however, as at the weekend Veloso stressed he did not want to leave the club.

"I started at Sporting, it was Sporting that created me and I just have to thank Sporting for everything they have done for me," he told the club's website.

"I am happy at the Alvalade and I will continue to work to help the team achieve what we want. I am committed."

--------------------------------

I can't help but think that if they do manage to get him, he's out the door ASAP like Mascherano and Tevez and West Ham.

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
The thing is nobody else seems to be making an offer which I, for one, find somewhat surprising.

He's Young. Talented. Portuguese. Great Hair. Tough. Can take Free Kicks.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
lol. Bolton. He's much too good for them. My bet is, he will probably be snapped up by the bigger clubs come the summer, provided he doesn't leave in Jan. When you've got clubs such as Juventus or Real Madrid interested...why would you settle for Bolton

·
Registered
21 Posts
I don't think we'd need a player in his position were well covered in midfield even with all the injuries we have were still very much covered here

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
The biggest surprise is that Gary Megson is being trusted with so much money!!!

Veloso has been linked with United repeatedly over the last 2/3 of years so I wouldn't mind him moving to Bolton. He'd get a feel for the Prem and what it's like to live up north and then we can snap him up in the summer. :D

I'm a little surprised about the price tag though. When United were supposedly after him the reported transfer fee was £18-20m from what I can remember.

·
Thank you Sir Alex
5,528 Posts
I doesn't look that he's too keen on moving to Bolton which is attributed by his comments stating his love for Sporting. If an European powerhouse came calling, i'd say that Veloso would be singing a different tune.

From what i've seen, his style is similar to Michael Carrick's with a bit more toughness and versatility. Although he would be a good addition to the squad, we can do without him imho.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
the only shocking thing is that bolton are going to splash all that cash on one guy....... thought they were a great wheeler- dealer type club snapping up bargains, bosmans, loan signings etc so splashing 12 million in one go might be a mistake . personally think they would be better buying 2 or 3 players instead of blowing the whole lot on one players- no matter who he is and how good he might be.

dont think megson has done too badly to be honest, think he's underestimated by some

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Megson done it last season spent all that money on Elmander..

Anyway Veloso is far too good for Bolton,
Mourinho will probably get him for Inter..!!

·
I aim to Misbehave
6,371 Posts
dlan4327 said:
The thing is nobody else seems to be making an offer which I, for one, find somewhat surprising.

He's Young. Talented. Portuguese. Great Hair. Tough. Can take Free Kicks.
True, in part, but there's been lots of sounding around for him. ARSEnal, Juventus, Madrid, I think even Liverfool have inquired about him.

The thing is, just because they're making a bid doesn't mean we'll take it...

reddwarf said:
The biggest surprise is that Gary Megson is being trusted with so much money!!!

Veloso has been linked with United repeatedly over the last 2/3 of years so I wouldn't mind him moving to Bolton. He'd get a feel for the Prem and what it's like to live up north and then we can snap him up in the summer. :D

I'm a little surprised about the price tag though. When United were supposedly after him the reported transfer fee was £18-20m from what I can remember.

Red, it still is around those parts, if not more. He's not been performing like he has on the previous years, but he's still a top notch player, and we're not cash strung like in the days of Ronaldo and Nani... So I doubt VERY much he or Sporting will go for that kind of offer, especially from a relegation team, when he's playing in a champions league squad at the moment.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
He'd be a quality signing for Bolton maybe just what they need. 12 million is quite good considering we were linked with him for money like 20 million. Surprised if he went there though, would basically be a stepping stone for another club.

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
Can't see Veloso singing for a Bolton, i'm sure a bigger club will hijack the move be anything materialises from this. He's much too good for them.

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
The BBC are reporting that Newcastle have also entered the running to sign Veloso.

Their article also mentions that his agent has claimed Man City are interested too. I think this is probably just his agent trying to increase the transfer fee though.

·
TROLOLOLOL
4,077 Posts
I thought he turned us lot down to due wanting to stay @ Sporting? Bolton.....seriously,well ,stranger things have happened Heskey>Villa ?!?!?

·
I aim to Misbehave
6,371 Posts
reddwarf said:
The BBC are reporting that Newcastle have also entered the running to sign Veloso.

Their article also mentions that his agent has claimed Man City are interested too. I think this is probably just his agent trying to increase the transfer fee though.
I wouldn't be surprised, since the numbers mentioned are idiotic. Even with a crisis, and clubs short on cash, Veloso is worth waaay more than 12M.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts