Votes: 2 9.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been giving this some thought and was wondering what your viewpoints would be? To encourage teams to play all out attacking football, a la United, award a bonus point for games in the Premiership won by 4 or more goals.

United would have 7 more points this season.
Chelski would have 5 more points this season.
Liverpool would have 5 points more this season.
Arsenal would have 3 points more this season.

So, if Chelski beat Bolton today 4-0; they would collect 4 points & If United beat Wigan 2-0 we would collect 3 points!! But we would still win the title by virtue of the +2 bonus points awarded earlier.

·
Registered
5,167 Posts
This idea is just so stupid it hurts me that someone thought it up. How would lower teams survive who struggle to score 2 or 3 in most games?

·
Banned
9,926 Posts
I'm really undecided on this matter.

Not so sure it will be used but in theory it should be great.

I'm on the fence.

·
Registered
130 Posts
RichardsReds said:
This idea is just so stupid it hurts me that someone thought it up. How would lower teams survive who struggle to score 2 or 3 in most games?
What about Reading? They scored 4 against Spurs, or Sunderland, scoring 3 against Bolton? I don't think it's a good idea to have more points for goals scored, but I can see the arguements as to why you would have it; more attacking football, greater entertainment. Etc.

·
Registered
6,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
RichardsReds said:
I can see you gave this a lot of thought. But, as a United fan, what do you think?

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Playoffs is a better choice over 2 legs or even one grand final like we do in Australian football or in the A-league (even though it is a different kind of format mind you..).

Umm or even head to head seems to be a better choice imo..

·
Registered
298 Posts
let me just say this: if you'd support a lower team, this would be the most stupid idea ever. How're they supposed to score more then 4 goals against utd, liverpoo, arse or chel$ki?

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
I just think this is feasable. When they introduced the 3 points for a win
that was enough. I dont think this could ever work. Nice thought as it would
suit United but I just dont think its right.

J

·
0 Posts
I know the bonus point system works well in Rugby, but thats just to encourage teams to go for tries. They have more than one way of scoring, so it a feasible thing. I don't think the system would work well in Football, a win is a win, it should stay that way.

·
23,699 Posts
I voted for the last option: "Do not think it would matter."

The probability of the team that score the most and concede the least throughout an entire season being champions is probably 99%. The bizarre 2-trophy situation before the final game this season is only a freak case, an exception rather than the norm; possible to happen again but not probable. And it proves true again after yesterday, isn't it?:D

So I doubt there is any necessity at all to cater to the exception.

·
Registered
488 Posts
It will be a bonus to the bigger club who have the ability to do so, but my votes will have to go to the minority... This pointing system surely ends all hopes of the weaker club... With the system, I don't see a point to bring any promotion club up as they will be giving alot of free points. This would make the whole league table one sided... I don't agree to this system...

·
Registered
6,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Both Reading and Brum would have earned a bonus point this weekend, so the arguement that it only benefits the top clubs does not wash!

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Red Devil said:
Both Reading and Brum would have earned a bonus point this weekend, so the arguement that it only benefits the top clubs does not wash!
But by that rationale then they might have stayed up and 2 other teams
would have gone down....Would that have been fair?

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
I think Derby should have got a bonus point every time they conceded less than 4!!! Lol.

An interesting idea RD.

Reading wouldn't have felt quite so bad about losing 7-4 and 6-4 this season and Villa and Spurs would have picked up a bonus point for their 4-4 draws against Chelsea.

Games that are usually over at 3-0 would still have something riding on them and it would encourage attacking football.

However, there are not many sides capable to reguarly slamming in 4 or more goals so I think there would be a danger of it widening the gap even further between the big 4 and the rest of the league.

I think the move from 2 to 3 points for a win, the backpass rule, the changes to the offside rule have already given more impetus to attacking football anyway so this just seems an unnecessary step for me.

·
Registered
5,167 Posts
Red Devil said:
I can see you gave this a lot of thought. But, as a United fan, what do you think?
Is that sarcasm? I did give it a fair bit of thought really... Which is why i commented on that it would gimp lower teams. Especially the promoted ones.

·
Registered
6,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
RichardsReds said:
Is that sarcasm? I did give it a fair bit of thought really... Which is why i commented on that it would gimp lower teams. Especially the promoted ones.
yep, see my post on Reading and Brum!

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
Being a top club like United, it would suit us.

But its unfair on the smaller clubs, who can't afford to go all out attack to try to get an extra point.

I don't like the idea at all.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts