Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
LONDON (AFP) - Former Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho is the favourite to be the next permanent England manager, bookmakers said Thursday.

Bookmakers made Mourinho, Aston Villa manager Martin O'Neill and Portugal boss Luis Felipe Scolari among the front runners to take over from McClaren.

William Hill made Mourinho the 5/1 favourite. The Portuguese boss, who won two Portguese league titles and the Champions League with Porto and two English Premier League medals, is out of work after leaving Chelsea in September.

He has stated his long-term ambition is to manage Portugal.

Northern Irishman O'Neill was the second favourite at 11/2, with Scolari -- the man who turned down the England job last time, leaving the FA to appoint McClaren -- third at 6/2.

The Brazilian led his home country to win the 2002 World Cup.

Russia boss Gus Hiddink was 7/1 and England under-21s boss Stuart Pearce was at 10/1/.

Paddy Power had Mourinho at 7/2, followed by O'Neill at 9/2, Scolari at 6/1 and Hiddink at 8/1. Newcastle manager Sam Allardyce and Fabio Capello, the former Real Madrid, Juventus, AC Milan and Roma boss, were 14/1.

Former England bosses were also listed, with current assistant coach Terry Venables at 40/1, Kevin Keegan at 100/1 and Bobby Robson at 250/1.

Coral quoted Mourinho at 7/2, O'Neill at 5/1, former England captain Alan Shearer and Reading boss Steve Coppell at 10/1, with Scolari at 12/1.

So who do YOU think should get the job ? And who do YOU think WILL get the job ?

·
Berbatov>Tevez
11,077 Posts
copy paste
Now it seems Mourinho is the 1st candindate for england bench! Boy what have England turned into-that the Portuguese has become their last hope! The same Portuguese that almost entire nation were mocking at calling him arrogant and accusing him as a manager who prefers boring footbal unlike the mighty england who play great fluid football !Boy you would do anything right now ! Even accept the boring football? ! But you could get a real representiative of your national team - Arrogant manager of an arrogant team ! Hhahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
BBC Sport are reporting that Jose Mourinho has said he is not interested in becoming the next England manager :(

·
Berbatov>Tevez
11,077 Posts
of course he isn't ...the things he received from them ( fa, fans and tabloids), doesn't deserve his services !

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
It has to be O'Neill surely??? Randy Lerner has already stated that O'Neill would be free to leave if he wanted the job. He was one of the top choices last time around but couldnt take the job because his wife was ill. He is building at Villa and might want to see how that develops. Villa are on the up but will they ever crack the dominance of the 'top 4'. I think he knows deep down that they wont. The England job is the top job out there and he will consider it for sure. He would be the ideal choice. He has intelligence and passion by the bucket load.

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
It would be great for the English imho....

although sources close to him say he has ruled the job out...

He would rejuvinate the team and really excite the fans and the whole country and I'm sure he would do a great job as manager but, like CROoney said, if I were Mourinho I wouldn't take the job...
It's the worst job going at the moment, perhaps after the Irish job..lol....the risk is too great imho......the tabloids are just a disgrace and a hindrance to the whole English setup...
However Mourinho has already proved himself as a manager so that may not be the reason, perhaps he already has a job lined up or perhaps it is just those w**ker tabloid journalists..

Who do I think will get the job......It's a tough question.....obviously there will be many candidates, just like for the Irish job...
Mourinho would be great if he's interested, but also I think Paul Jewell could be a great option if he is brave enough to take the job on and if the FA feel they don't have to go for a 'supposed' world class manager....
Also Martin O'Neill would be great.....has done a great job at both Celtic and Aston Villa....

·
Berbatov>Tevez
11,077 Posts
o'neill has done nothing at villa mate...nothing...and with celtic he did what he was supposed to
just because we fancy the guy doesn't mean he is the man...england don't need a phylosph..they need a dictator like fergie...a man - a star

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
CROoney from Dubrovnik said:
o'neill has done nothing at villa mate...nothing...and with celtic he did what he was supposed to
just because we fancy the guy doesn't mean he is the man...england don't need a phylosph..they need a dictator like fergie...a man - a star
Ya they need someone who will manage the team and the players and tell them to leave the 'egos' at home.......
Having said that, O'Neill is an excellent manager and has put a good team together at Villa and they are doing well in the league and should get a Uefa Cup spot....

·
Berbatov>Tevez
11,077 Posts
Keano4taoiseach said:
Ya they need someone who will manage the team and the players and tell them to leave the 'egos' at home.......
Having said that, O'Neill is an excellent manager and has put a good team together at Villa and they are doing well in the league and should get a Uefa Cup spot....
villa are the same team they were before o'neill took them ...so hardly and argument is it ... I think England should appoint Klinsmann - he would introduce German discipline and has got some experiance with Germany

·
Banned
4,946 Posts
Filippo.........

He has a world cup......

Proven winner - doesn't get much better than that !!

He has said in the press the language barrier is a problem but thats nonsense - he can learn English in 6 months easy !!

I think he used that to deflect press away from him......

I think he will get the job !!

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
CROoney from Dubrovnik said:
villa are the same team they were before o'neill took them ...so hardly and argument is it ... I think England should appoint Klinsmann - he would introduce German discipline and has got some experiance with Germany

He brought Petrov with him from Celtic and also got young, promising midfielder Curtis Davies and they will get a Uefa Cup spot imho.......

1 - 12 of 12 Posts