Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.teamtalk.com/football/story/0,16368,1778_3559619,00.html

Bordeaux coach Laurent Blanc is reportedly planning to raid former club Manchester United for Mikael Silvestre.

Reports emanating from France suggest Blanc has made his former Old Trafford team-mate one of his top summer transfer targets.

With David Jemmali set to leave Bordeaux at the end of the season after turning down a new deal, Blanc is in need of defensive reinforcements and sees Silvestre as an ideal replacement.

Blanc is a big admirer of Silvestre and he is believed to have enquired about the French international last summer.

Silvestre's future at United is uncertain as he has just one-year remaining on his contract and he is well down the pecking order at Old Trafford.

The 30-year-old could be tempted to return to France for regular first-team football and the prospect of Champions League football at Bordeaux next season could sway Silvestre's decision.

TargetsMeanwhile, Bordeaux are believed to be keeping tabs on Yoann Gourcuff and Jeremy Menez as possible replacements for Johan Micoud.

Micoud is set to quit Bordeaux in the summer leaving Bordeaux with a huge void to fill and Blanc is drawing up his list of targets.

Milan starlet Gourcuff could be an option as he is thought to be considering a loan move away from the San Siro after struggling to establish himself at the Rossoneri.

Tottenham, Marseille and some Italian clubs are believed to be monitoring Gourcuff's situation.

Monaco midfielder Menez has been a long-term target for Bordeaux with Les Girondins missing out to Monaco for the player's signature when he left Sochaux in 2006.

Menez has just over a year to run on his contract at Monaco and they could be tempted to sell for a big offer rather than risk losing him for nothing next summer.
 

·
Berbatov>Tevez
Joined
·
11,077 Posts
for me it's not that good news...he is a blunder prone just like brown ( although a little less prone and a lot faster than wes ), true, but unlike wes he can actually be a good LB... he is a good LB but he needs to be kept away from our CB spot just like wes should be .... anyway - he's better LB than wes is an RB and he's approximately same CB as Wes... so - a good back-up to have imo
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
15,336 Posts
I would agree that it is not good news.

Yes, when he plays at CB I spend the whole 90 mins worrying. But he is a very good left-back and is very reliable as a no 2, if you like, to Evra.

He is quick, good tackler and actually has a great cross on him.

I hope he stays in all honesty.
 

·
Berbatov>Tevez
Joined
·
11,077 Posts
manutd004 said:
I would agree that it is not good news.

Yes, when he plays at CB I spend the whole 90 mins worrying. But he is a very good left-back and is very reliable as a no 2, if you like, to Evra.

He is quick, good tackler and actually has a great cross on him.

I hope he stays in all honesty.
spot on...btw that part abou him as a cb - you totally described my emotions when seeing brown play there--- i swear
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,766 Posts
not good news IMO.....he is a good player and capable of doing a good job at LB......but not as CB like cro and mu004 told...
but im sure he will be tempted by first team football and he knows he has no hope of playing for us when evra is playing like he is now.....
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
15,336 Posts
akash_reds said:
but im sure he will be tempted by first team football and he knows he has no hope of playing for us when evra is playing like he is now.....
Thats the worry.

He is good enough to be playing first-team football elsewhere, but hopefully he decides he's at the right club.
 

·
Thank you Sir Alex
Joined
·
5,528 Posts
Not good news imo. If he leaves, who's gonna play at LB when Evra's injured? I don't fancy O'shea playing there thats for sure. He's actually a decent LB, not spectacular, but does the job. He is quick, a decent tackler, better than Evra in the air, is a good crosser and doesn't make much fuss if he doesn't start. He's a good player to have in the squad imo.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
15,336 Posts
If Evra got injured, or went off form (which would be surprising to say the least) I would be more than happy with Silvestre at LB.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,242 Posts
i cannot believe how fickle all you lot are , i for one will be sorry to see him leave he has been a very good player for us , big strong and athletic and a great left back .
he has filled in at centre half when required , evra is okay he is constantly out of position and has no end product going forward , but he is getting better.
i think if it had not been for his injuries he would have been no1.
dont forget evras first matches for us he looked crap , also there are not many defenders out there who dont make the occasional **** up
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Eh.... when the three of you are finished group-hugging each other at your Silvestre love fest, send me a PM! :D

As I already said in the shoutbox, the title was meant to grab attention and I got it! Yes, I am an attention-seeking slut!

Having said that, he needs to move on, so that either a younger player can cut his teeth or some younger talent can be bought in to the club.

Silvestre is OK at left back and a good cover for Evra, but at CB....oh God. I don't even have the money for the kind of treatment I will need, if I recall all the traumatic experiences.
 

·
Berbatov>Tevez
Joined
·
11,077 Posts
stretty said:
i cannot believe how fickle all you lot are , i for one will be sorry to see him leave he has been a very good player for us , big strong and athletic and a great left back .
he has filled in at centre half when required , evra is okay he is constantly out of position and has no end product going forward , but he is getting better.
i think if it had not been for his injuries he would have been no1.
dont forget evras first matches for us he looked crap , also there are not many defenders out there who dont make the occasional **** up
huh ??? how mamy times have you seen someone dribbled passed evra ? he's a cnostant treath and provides great low crosses
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
23,699 Posts
I am not one of the camp that calls for the head of Silvestre and would hate to see him leave.

He may have occasional lapses like Rio used to have but after all the pluses and minuses, still a highly capable backup as left back or as a central defender. I rate him much tougher, quicker, more steady and reads the game much better than JOS for sure in the defensive department.

If he is happy to stay to fight for his place, please let him be.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25,467 Posts
Id be sad to see him leave. Great pro and over 360 games for United,
which is amazing. can play Cb or Lb and would provide great cover.
I saw him in a few reserve games and a pl game or 2 and to be fair
he seemed quite fresh and sharp. After a summer of training and preparing
he will be exactly what United need for next season, a willing, versatile,
capable and dependable player. I hope he stays but wouldnt blame him
or be too surprised if he left. Good luck to him either way. Great servant.
 

·
Berbatov>Tevez
Joined
·
11,077 Posts
Jazz 16 said:
Id be sad to see him leave. Great pro and over 360 games for United,
which is amazing. can play Cb or Lb and would provide great cover.
I saw him in a few reserve games and a pl game or 2 and to be fair
he seemed quite fresh and sharp. After a summer of training and preparing
he will be exactly what United need for next season, a willing, versatile,
capable and dependable player. I hope he stays but wouldnt blame him
or be too surprised if he left. Good luck to him either way. Great servant.
he didn't get a prem medal did he ? he doesn't have 10 or more apperances right ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,139 Posts
this isn't good news at all, it means more money to be spent in an area which we could really do without. nothing wron with mikael thik we should reject it and keep him for cover and as for that comment about wes in the opening response :| thats ridiculous obviously havent seen much of wes this season have you crooney, it's a awful shout to be fair wes is miles more consistant that silvestre but can be ueful if evra is not availible
 

·
Berbatov>Tevez
Joined
·
11,077 Posts
Drew9 said:
this isn't good news at all, it means more money to be spent in an area which we could really do without. nothing wron with mikael thik we should reject it and keep him for cover and as for that comment about wes in the opening response :| thats ridiculous obviously havent seen much of wes this season have you crooney, it's a awful shout to be fair wes is miles more consistant that silvestre but can be ueful if evra is not availible
believe me i have..he's had a good season but not great as many of you suggest.... don't make me start numbering mistakes he's made in the last season and a half, coz i remembered it to back up my replies for some of you who think he's been "great"...btw - just standing at the rb spot doesn't mean that you've done great... as for CB - give me Silvestre over Brown anyday..the guy can actually run...
oh and wes is miles more consistant ??? by which standard - name me mistakes silvestre's made and i'll find you a dozen more from brown...
i don't want to be harsh but to say something like that you must have a really good argument to back it up...miles more consistant ... - that sounds like vidic . not like wes...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,139 Posts
silvestre hasn't made any mistakes cos he hasn't played lol, us true supporters get just a little bit annoyed when people that dont go and watch the lads live often, just follow us when we're lifting titles or what ever dont slate a local lad like brown it un-fair and anyone will tell you (anyone whos been to old trafford this season) that wes has been a rock, he must of been to still be keeping gary neville out of the side still and garys been fit for over 2 months now, so crooney as far as im aware i do have a 'really good arguement' and all true united fans will agree with me
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
292 Posts
I don't understand where the creator of this thread is coming from. Doesn't he understand that you cannot have two world class players for every position, you need back up players. Silvestre is a very strong left back who provides excellent cover for Evra. If we sell Silvestre and then Evra gets injured, who plays at left back. Would you rather have a centre back Oshea playing at left back or Silvestre a natural left back. We need to keep Silvestre, contrary to what many people have said in this thread he is actually a very good player.
 
1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Top