Manchester United Talk banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Banana-rama said:
I don't understand where the creator of this thread is coming from. Doesn't he understand that you cannot have two world class players for every position, you need back up players. Silvestre is a very strong left back who provides excellent cover for Evra. If we sell Silvestre and then Evra gets injured, who plays at left back. Would you rather have a centre back Oshea playing at left back or Silvestre a natural left back. We need to keep Silvestre, contrary to what many people have said in this thread he is actually a very good player.

The creator of this thread will talk about himself in the third person and simply explain himself as having the right to title the tread in whichever way he saw fit.

The chread-creator is also attention-seeking and a sensationalist.

He has also heard, read and debated all the pros and cons regarding Silvestre and after all has been said and done, Silvestre was a good professional footballer, who went about his job in the proper way, but now needs to move on, so others can move up, or at least give the maanger a chance to freshen things up.

Peace!

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
RedForceRising said:
The creator of this thread will talk about himself in the third person and simply explain himself as having the right to title the tread in whichever way he saw fit.

The chread-creator is also attention-seeking and a sensationalist.

He has also heard, read and debated all the pros and cons regarding Silvestre and after all has been said and done, Silvestre was a good professional footballer, who went about his job in the proper way, but now needs to move on, so others can move up, or at least give the maanger a chance to freshen things up.

Peace!
He doesn't need to "move on" at all.

He is a very good player, and we need him to stay and fight for a place with Evra, and provide cover for when necessary.

As I've said, if Evra gets injured or dramatically loses his form, I would be very, very happy in Silvestre taking over from him.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Silvestre to Bordeaux ?

Bordeaux chasing Man Utd defender Silvestre

tribalfooball.com - May 13, 2008

Bordeaux coach Laurent Blanc is reportedly planning to raid former club Manchester United for Mikael Silvestre. http://ad.au.doubleclick.net/ad/prodigy.tribalfootball/generic;sz=300x250;ord=123456789?

Reports from France suggest Blanc has made his former Old Trafford team-mate one of his top summer transfer targets.

Blanc is a big admirer of Silvestre and he is believed to have enquired about the French international last summer.

Silvestre's future at United is uncertain as he has just one-year remaining on his contract and he is well down the pecking order at Old Trafford.

The 30-year-old could be tempted to return to France for regular first-team football and the prospect of Champions League football at Bordeaux next season could sway Silvestre's decision.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
manutd004 said:
He doesn't need to "move on" at all.

He is a very good player, and we need him to stay and fight for a place with Evra, and provide cover for when necessary.

As I've said, if Evra gets injured or dramatically loses his form, I would be very, very happy in Silvestre taking over from him.

And i would be watching through the gaps of my fingers! :)

·
Berbatov>Tevez
11,076 Posts
Drew9 said:
silvestre hasn't made any mistakes cos he hasn't played lol, us true supporters get just a little bit annoyed when people that dont go and watch the lads live often, just follow us when we're lifting titles or what ever dont slate a local lad like brown it un-fair and anyone will tell you (anyone whos been to old trafford this season) that wes has been a rock, he must of been to still be keeping gary neville out of the side still and garys been fit for over 2 months now, so crooney as far as im aware i do have a 'really good arguement' and all true united fans will agree with me
ALL TRUE UNITED FANS FROM MANCHESTER , RIGHT ? COZ believe me, some of you UK fans are not unbiased towards your own players ...Ask anyone outside UK who is not a United fan what's the weakest link of United team - and at least 80% of them will tell you Wes Brown. Now I wouldn't be saying this to any non-united supporter coz I like Wes... He plays for United , I really like him - but not as much as I like others... And he's probably a Tottenham material , but not United. Listen - I'm not blaming him, it's not his fault but I'd like a little reality please ...So, you're talking about consistency. At old Trafford ? Well - an assist to Dean Ashton( yes, he headed it straight to dean ) , and Alfonso Alves ( totally mistimed jump) in 2 out of 5 matches he's played as a CB says enough about consistency. Furthermore , he let the West Ham player alone with VDS at the 6 yard box, but luckly rio was there to cover him and that player had no option but to shoot it wide ( he was alone 1 on 1 with VDS , and rio had to come all the way from his position to cover for Brown ). Against Barca at Nou Camp it is needless to say who was the man who lost possesion to Eto'o who then tried passing it to Messi, but luckily Carrick was there to intercept the pass. We're talking about their finest chance to score! Against Chelsea he almost made my hart stop in our first attack of the match where he headed ball wide to vds, forcing him to come from the line all the way outside the box thus allowing Ballack,I think, to intercept it, because it was too slow , but luckily he missed a chance to score with no GK on goal ( oh and who's job was to cover Ballack's free header.... )...There's more - do you happen to remember Roma's first goal a year ago at Rome ? Taddei scored , after he was left unmarked by Brown in the box ( yes, Brown was covering no one at that time ). And at their second goal scored by Mirko Vucinic he was "covering" Vucinic. Him, not Rio or Vida...Last season's match against Pompey ( or Everton, I'm not sure ) when Mendes scored that goal from just outside the area, he was left 1 on 1 with Wes with Brown being late to cover his shot thus allowing him to shoot. And this season's 1/4 finals 2 nd leg against Roma at OT he executed an awfully late, mistimed, unneccessary tackle which was rewarded as a penalty. True, Mancini dived, but Brown never touched the ball. If you don't believe me, I'll paste an image ...
oh - just remembered another one - this year against roma at olympico - he let the ball flip him over to fall directly to panucci's feet who missed a chance that was easier to score than to miss

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
RedForceRising said:
And i would be watching through the gaps of my fingers! :)
lol......i would have watched it like that if he was playing CB ;)
anyway
silvestre is a good player and he is one of the players who i dont like very much but only to a certain extent....i wont be surprised if he leaves because he is a decent player and there is a good team out looking for him and they play UCL and they may give him first team football....i certainly wouldnt be surprised if he leaves!

·
23,699 Posts
CROoney from Dubrovnik said:
ALL TRUE UNITED FANS FROM MANCHESTER , RIGHT ? COZ believe me, some of you UK fans are not unbiased towards your own players ...Ask anyone outside UK who is not a United fan what's the weakest link of United team - and at least 80% of them will tell you Wes Brown. Now I wouldn't be saying this to any non-united supporter coz I like Wes... He plays for United , I really like him - but not as much as I like others... And he's probably a Tottenham material , but not United. Listen - I'm not blaming him, it's not his fault but I'd like a little reality please.
I have to second you on that.

I am confident nobody here is having a go at Brown who has indeed done well for us this season in the absence of Gary.

However, reality and other threads on Brown have touched on this topic too, and the consensus amongst the non-die-hard fan of Brown is that he is a good cover for us but will never be good enough to be in the First XI if everybody is fit and every viable option available. Long story short, a good squad player.

Will he be before Rio and Vidic in the CB? [Don't ask silly question.]

Will he be the automatic choice as a RB next season? [Then why all the talk about looking for a new RB.]

And personally, as a sum of total parts, I would prefer Hargreaves as a RB over Brown; if not for anything, at least for the fitness and speed to run the flanks, the much better crosses and better handling of quick and skillful wingers.

Oops... Think we are all way off topic here.:D

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Since Silvestre is our LB back up, if he is sold this will give room for Lahm to come in as a LB back up to evra and a RB option too as back up to neville or even as a 1st team starter ahead of neville and then maybe Brown will go as a CB backup

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
ALL TRUE UNITED FANS FROM MANCHESTER , RIGHT ? COZ believe me, some of you UK fans are not unbiased towards your own players ...Ask anyone outside UK who is not a United fan what's the weakest link of United team - and at least 80% of them will tell you Wes Brown. Now I wouldn't be saying this to any non-united supporter coz I like Wes... He plays for United , I really like him - but not as much as I like others... And he's probably a Tottenham material , but not United. Listen - I'm not blaming him, it's not his fault but I'd like a little reality please ...So, you're talking about consistency. At old Trafford ? Well - an assist to Dean Ashton( yes, he headed it straight to dean ) , and Alfonso Alves ( totally mistimed jump) in 2 out of 5 matches he's played as a CB says enough about consistency. Furthermore , he let the West Ham player alone with VDS at the 6 yard box, but luckly rio was there to cover him and that player had no option but to shoot it wide ( he was alone 1 on 1 with VDS , and rio had to come all the way from his position to cover for Brown ). Against Barca at Nou Camp it is needless to say who was the man who lost possesion to Eto'o who then tried passing it to Messi, but luckily Carrick was there to intercept the pass. We're talking about their finest chance to score! Against Chelsea he almost made my hart stop in our first attack of the match where he headed ball wide to vds, forcing him to come from the line all the way outside the box thus allowing Ballack,I think, to intercept it, because it was too slow , but luckily he missed a chance to score with no GK on goal ( oh and who's job was to cover Ballack's free header.... )...There's more - do you happen to remember Roma's first goal a year ago at Rome ? Taddei scored , after he was left unmarked by Brown in the box ( yes, Brown was covering no one at that time ). And at their second goal scored by Mirko Vucinic he was "covering" Vucinic. Him, not Rio or Vida...Last season's match against Pompey ( or Everton, I'm not sure ) when Mendes scored that goal from just outside the area, he was left 1 on 1 with Wes with Brown being late to cover his shot thus allowing him to shoot. And this season's 1/4 finals 2 nd leg against Roma at OT he executed an awfully late, mistimed, unneccessary tackle which was rewarded as a penalty. True, Mancini dived, but Brown never touched the ball. If you don't believe me, I'll paste an image ...

I will never understand how we don't agree on Fletcher!

Everything there needs to be said about Brown or around 90% is contained in this post. Awesome stuff.

Has he improved a lot? Yeah, but we're not talking about crap to gold here, we're talking maybe crap to rusty metal......

I think it has a lot to do with how people watch football. Everybody watches the match, but how many just follow the ball and how many are actually paying attention and watching how Rooney and Ronaldo are stretching the defence, where Evra is standing in relation to Vida..... and on the numerous occasions where Wes Brown is NOT STANDING where he should be!

WE should actually embed videos highlighting Wes Brown's horror shows to remind people of what they missed during the games.

BTW....isn;t this about Silvestre :)

·
Berbatov>Tevez
11,076 Posts
RedForceRising said:
I will never understand how we don't agree on Fletcher!

Everything there needs to be said about Brown or around 90% is contained in this post. Awesome stuff.

Has he improved a lot? Yeah, but we're not talking about crap to gold here, we're talking maybe crap to rusty metal......

I think it has a lot to do with how people watch football. Everybody watches the match, but how many just follow the ball and how many are actually paying attention and watching how Rooney and Ronaldo are stretching the defence, where Evra is standing in relation to Vida..... and on the numerous occasions where Wes Brown is NOT STANDING where he should be!

WE should actually embed videos highlighting Wes Brown's horror shows to remind people of what they missed during the games.
BTW....isn;t this about Silvestre :)
I've thought of that numerous of times

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
for me it's not that good news...he is a blunder prone just like brown ( although a little less prone and a lot faster than wes ), true, but unlike wes he can actually be a good LB... he is a good LB but he needs to be kept away from our CB spot just like wes should be .... anyway - he's better LB than wes is an RB and he's approximately same CB as Wes... so - a good back-up to have imo
I agree, as long as he stays as far away from centre half as possible he's excellent cover for Evra!
I dont think Wes can be regarded as blundre prone anymore??

·
Registered
29 Posts
Bordeaux are a good up-and-coming team with ambition. Silvestre would be ideal to add some more experience to the lineup and help them break Lyon's dominance on that league as they have come close to doing already this season.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
J_746 said:
Bordeaux are a good up-and-coming team with ambition. Silvestre would be ideal to add some more experience to the lineup and help them break Lyon's dominance on that league as they have come close to doing already this season.
I agree.

But I want to keep him here.

Hes a very good player, and has been a great servant to us.

Imo, there isn't any better player realistically that would be happy to be second and fight for his place.

·
23,699 Posts
I could quit Manchester United for Bordeaux ,admits Silvestre

Daily Mail
Last updated at 11:08am on 16th May 2008

Manchester United defender Mickael Silvestre admits he could be tempted by a move to Bordeaux, provided the French club can meet his salary demands

Les Girondins coach Laurent Blanc has declared his interest in the France international, whose season has been disrupted by knee injuries.

Silvestre's contract at United runs until the summer of 2009, but the former Rennes player is not discounting a return to his native country if the offer is good enough.

"It isn't impossible," the 30-year-old told a press conference.

"Bordeaux is a club which is close to my heart. When I was little, I followed their exploits in Europe. Moreover, I have family in the Gironde region.

"But each player has to be satisfied in a sporting sense as well as financially.

"There are no gifts handed out here. I am not a good Samaritan."

Silvestre, who has also played for Internazionale, missed most of United's latest title-winning campaign with a knee injury he suffered in September.

He returned towards the end of the season but he is unlikely to make France's squad for next month's European Championships in Austria and Switzerland.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
versa said:
Daily Mail
Last updated at 11:08am on 16th May 2008

Manchester United defender Mickael Silvestre admits he could be tempted by a move to Bordeaux, provided the French club can meet his salary demands

Les Girondins coach Laurent Blanc has declared his interest in the France international, whose season has been disrupted by knee injuries.

Silvestre's contract at United runs until the summer of 2009, but the former Rennes player is not discounting a return to his native country if the offer is good enough.

"It isn't impossible," the 30-year-old told a press conference.

"Bordeaux is a club which is close to my heart. When I was little, I followed their exploits in Europe. Moreover, I have family in the Gironde region.

"But each player has to be satisfied in a sporting sense as well as financially.

"There are no gifts handed out here. I am not a good Samaritan."

Silvestre, who has also played for Internazionale, missed most of United's latest title-winning campaign with a knee injury he suffered in September.

He returned towards the end of the season but he is unlikely to make France's squad for next month's European Championships in Austria and Switzerland.
:eek:

I hope they can't offer him what he wants, or that he decides to stay here.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
oh - just remembered another one - this year against roma at olympico - he let the ball flip him over to fall directly to panucci's feet who missed a chance that was easier to score than to miss
I agree with this post...Wes Brown for me with Fletcher are the weakest links in the team...Brown was an awsome defender and one with heaps amounts of potential to be a great but that season long injury imo stoped is development and he has never seemed to improve and is a little error prone and lacks concentration at times - like Silvestre too. I would also like to remind you of Brown in the Lyon away game where Benzema recked him in nearly every time he attacked! I was looking at the highlightes of all the CL games we played and my god Brown was crawling on his knees most of the time and could not keep up with Benzema - just like Carragher vs Rooney this season at OT!

But I am not a hater...I think Brown is good for BACKUP and so is Silvestre and we don't really have to sell them...Credit is due that Brown did step up in Neville's absence and has done well and has improved over the season and has chipped in an assist here and there and don't forget the goal vs Poo lol

Neville and Evra are our first choice so yeah and Silvestre and Brown are the backups and they are awsome backups imo...they don't complain and didnt leave for another team...Silvestre had the chance to go to Lyon and said no he wants to stay and Brown could of left for a free transfer but decided to stay! This is good squad depth. I just want Fletcher to leave really lol...

I really couldn't care if Silvestre or Brown left...as long as we replace them very well like with Lahm and Richards and with better quality defenders then I am happy...

21 - 40 of 43 Posts